CONCACAF CUP Article

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Nov 24, 2004.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  2. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    accurate or not...at least its positive media coverage :D

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In South Carolina? :eek: You won't even see that reported on Kansas City TV stations.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What really sucks about the CCC is that we might not even get a home game out of this. :mad:

5. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall FSW picking up some games a few years ago. Hope they do so again.

6. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    dcu vs. pumas would be a great game.

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
  8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The station is here in Charelston and a friend of mine, who is a big time soccer fan is an weatherman for the station but I know he isn't invovled in the news side other than weather realted things.

I didn't see the report but all the stations here cover the Charleston Battery pretty well, and with as many times as DC has played here Im not too surprised they picked up the story. Wish I would have seen it.

Mikey

9. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad our championship team is already being dismantled. I wonder what the lineup will look like come March.

TS.

10. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Dismantled? We lost Nellie but I think we can bring back Petke and Gomez. I wouldn't really consider that to be a Florida Marlins-esque dismantling.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    With all the baseball crap coming down the pike, scheduling is going to be tight. I think friendlies, exhibitions and tournaments like the CCC are going to be difficult to fit in if not scheduled way in advance. I might be wrong, but I think it's another instance of us taking it in the rear.

This the question I tried to get to KP on the chat the other day but missed out.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll get it. it just probably won't be scheduled at RFK. We might end up at that field out in maryland (soccerplex).

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As nice as it is, it would suck for United to play such a prestigious tournament at the soccerplex.

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I think what Chico meant was that DC United would probably not have the "RFK home advantage". I hope DC United plays the game at RFK, but like Chico says I really doubt that will happen.

The soccerplex is a nice place (I have been there for the US Open Cup games) but it is harder for people to get out there, especially during the week when in all likelihood this game would be played. Most importantly it would be very hard to get "prepared" as they do not allow tailgating. :(

But I will be there and so will a lot of the hard-core fans!

15. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm glad that we're going, too, it's too bad we can't use veterans like Stewart and Nelson, and have an option like EZ on the bench. Also, we won't exactly be in form by march.

Hopefully, DC will play well. If the game is anywhere around here, I'll be there.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not only that Jose but the last time we played there was great attendance. There were lots of Saprissa and Leon fans along with all the DC fans. I think the capacity at the soccerplex max's out at around 4800 or so. It just blows that we can't host this properly like in the past.

17. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    It seats 3200. SoccerPlex

I think the parking lot side has a big concrete area just behind the last row of seats. Maybe they could put some extra bleechers up there to get a few more people, if enough tickets get sold. Also, the bowl end is just grass and could easily accomodate hundreds of people who are willing to sit on the hill should it come to that.

I wonder what the attendence was the last time we were in this thing?

My guess is that it probably will be at the SoccerPlex. That is great for me, but I wish we had more interest in it.

[​IMG]

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, i do understand the concerns and actually share them. On the flip side, the baseball season doesn't start until a couple of games after the MLS season. However, the CCC begins in mid-March. Isn't it quite probable that we at least get to play the first game at home (either March 9 or 16) in RFK?

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me go a step further. We should feel pretty good about our chances of being able to have our games at RFK. Let's look at the tentative Washington Nationals Schedule: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/was/schedule/tentative_2005_season_schedule.jsp

As you can see from the link, again, baseball doesn't start until April, so the first home game at RFK in March shouldn't be too big of a problem. If we were to advance past that, the next round of games is April 6 and 13. http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2804

If we get the game on the 6th at RFK, the Nationals are out of town for the whole week. However, the home game on the 13th would be a problem, because the Nationals are at home vs. Arizona the very next day. Moving on to the finals, the games would be May 4 and May 11. Another look at the Nationals schedule shows that the week of May 4, the Nationals are on the road for the entire week. The week of May 11, the Nationals do come home, but the day AFTER the CCC finals game, May 12, is an off-day for the Nationals and they don't actually play their home game until May 13, against the Chicago Cubs.

In summation, I don't know how the CCC drawings work and how they determine who gets the first and/or last home game, but if the CCC works with us, we could get the first home game for the 2nd round and the final round (if we were fortunate enough to make it that far), and we would be able to conduct business as usual. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!

20. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's quite a drive but what about Navy/Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis. It was just recently renovated and would make an awesome soccer venue. Not to mention that Annapolis is a great drinking town.

TS.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly don't think it should be a problem as I stated above, unless Concacaf decides to purposely screw us on the scheduling.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Nobody really knows. In the past the 'smaller' teams usually got stuck hosting the first leg. Hopefully they will clarify that this year...

23. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    it's a random draw - it was for us this past year. Same format.

24. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if seating capacity will be a problem -- seems like a CONCACAF match would easily sellout the Boyds Soccerplex. The only positive to hosting a match at the soccerplex comes from the intimacy of the bowl-like seating arrangement at stadium. I have to admit that it's really fun to watch a game while you're so close to the playing field -- I went to the two U.S. Open Cup matches played at the soccerplex in 2003 and had a great time each match.

So, I really wouldn't knock the idea of hosting a CONCACAF match at Boyds per se. While Boyds obviously not nearly as prestigious a venue as RFK for an event of this caliber, it would be cool to see a prestigious international match at close quarters. That is, if there are enough tickets to go around.

25. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Harbour View versus Tivoli Gardens for the Caribbean slot.

The three Central American slots being decided between Olimpia, Saprissa, Municipal and F.A.S.

Apertura leader is Veracruz, with Toluca, Pachuca and Atlas next in points.