CONCACAF Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Deleted USer, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    i just received a newsletter on my phone that CONCACAF has officially launched the CONCACAF Champions League...

though it had been rumored... it will now be a reality....

i went to the concacaf website... but the media release is still no up....

what are your thoughts?

-------------------------------------

NEW YORK (Monday, 28 January 2008) - CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football) announced today the official launch of the new continental club championship, the CONCACAF Champions League which will commence in August 2008. The CONCACAF Champions League will replace the Champions’ Cup which will cease to exist after the 2008 edition.

The CONCACAF Champions League will see a Confederation record number of 24 teams from all sectors of the CONCACAF region participating. The preliminary round begins in August 2008 with the first CONCACAF Champions League winner to be crowned in late April 2009.

The CONCACAF Champions League will feature four teams from Mexico and USA; three Caribbean sides; two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama; and one representative coming from Canada, Belize, and Nicaragua.

Eight clubs (two Mexican, two USA, one each from Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador) will be seeded and progress directly to the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League, while the Caribbean slots have been increased to three teams for this event.

The remaining 16 teams will be paired in eight home-and-away preliminary match-ups taking place from 26-28 August and 2-4 September.

The preliminary round winners will join the other eight seeded teams in the group stage that consists of four groups of four. All the teams in each group will play each other in a round-robin system during six match dates (three home games, three away games) from 16 September – 30 October.

The top two clubs from each group will advance to the knock out phase playing home-and-away elimination. The quarterfinals commence in February 2009; semifinals begin in March; and the Finals will take place in late April.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the CONCACAF’s representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup.

2008-09 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
    Calendar of Events
    End July: All qualification completed, draw for preliminary round
    26-28 August: Preliminary Round, First-legs
    2-4 September: Preliminary Round, Second-legs
    Early September: Group Stage Schedule Announced
    16-18 September: Group Stage – Match Day 1
    23-25 September: Group Stage – Match Day 2
    30 September – 2 October: Group Stage – Match Day 3
    7-9 October: Group Stage – Match Day 4
    21-23 October: Group Stage – Match Day 5
    28-30 October: Group Stage – Match Day 6

24-26 February: Quarterfinals, First-legs
    3-5 March: Quarterfinals, Second-legs
    17-19 March: Semifinals, First-legs
    7-9 April: Semifinals, Second-legs
    21-23 April: Final, First-leg
    28-30 April: Final, Second-leg
    December: FIFA Club World Cup

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: CONCACAF Champions League officially launched

I do not like the fact that MLS has as many seeded teams as the MFL.

anyway you want to slice it.... Mexico should have more participants and more seeded teams in the competition...

I also think that Costa Rica should have had if not the same, at least equal the amount of slots and seeded teams in the league as MLS....

with all due respect to MLS..... the CR league has done alot more than MLS

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

i wonder how the new concacaf league calender will affect which teams go to Copa Libertadores, Sudamericana?

4. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

i just read this too. what a load of shit.

how can costa rica only have two slots, after all they've done, while MLS has four (not having reached the final since... 2000?) and CANADA who doesn't even have a professional league get half the spots Costa Rica has.

I love having a stupid federation.

also, i think the MFL has already stated how it will affect the participation in the Copa Sudamericana. I'll try to find it the exact criteria, but i'm pretty sure from here on out the only teams that will participate in the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana will be places 5-12 in the MFL. 1-4 will now be reserved for the Concacaf Champions League.

5. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

The Champions and subcampeones qualify.

Thus Atlante and Pumas are in for sure. Plus whoever comes 1st and 2nd in this torneo.

Atlante is a seeded team.

Pumas will go to the preliminary round.

Hopefully they don't make the two Mexican teams meet in the preliminary round.

6. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

with a stupid federation like ours im pretty sure they it will happen....i just dont get this crappy sh+_Ot we need to move away from this conmcacrap so now what we are going to be sending puebla to the libertadores?? this is bs

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

I know that the champ and runnerup qualify directly....

but what I am asking is if.... If Atlante (A2007 champ), Pumas (A2007 runner up) and the Clausura 2008 champ and runner up qualify for the 2008/09 Champions League....... WHO plays Sudamericana at the beginning of the Apertura 2008 season and who plays Copa Libertadores at the beginning of the Cla 2009 season?

Remember.... the Champions Cup only lasted half a year..... Now... the Champions league will last an entire year.....which will complicate things a bit more.....

8. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

the top four aren't allowed to participate in either

even if say, atlante is knocked out in the prems, in august, they will still not be able to play the copa libertadores the following year. that's what i gathered from the press release a while back.

9. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC

Here's the mediotiempo link to what Decio de Maria said in December.
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia.php?id_noticia=48979

So it could potentially be 5th and 6th place of the Clausura to Sudamericana, with 5th direct to Libertadores as well, and 6-13 to Interliga. My complaint about this at the time was that Santos earned NOTHING internationally with their regular season domination last season, if both Sudamericana and Libertadores will be based on Clausura 2008. At least before it would count partially towards interliga (and Sudamericana?). Granted, they should be good enough to qualify to Interliga through this season's standings, but nothing is certain.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

SHould I feel wrong for wanting my team to place 6th or 7th :D

11. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i was just thinking that too:D i say we need to send a crap team like pumas did for the interliga as a protest for this concacrap that is trying to screw us up:mad:

12. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Mexico FMF should burn concacaf by sending the losers of the 1st division Mexican league. Hell no are the FMF gonna let go of Copa Libertadores competition thats how Mexico and it's club gets it's world respect by beating quality teams like Boca Juniors and Sao Paulo. Just think if Chivas with draws from Copa Libertadores for this peace of sh_t tournament and we beat weak teams like Galaxy a couple of salvi clubs the world isn't gonna give us repect for beating a bunch of no body clubs! Plus just think of the corrupted central american refs that are waiting to screw over Mexican clubs in that tournament not to mention the central american clubs that want to injure the Mexican clubs stars because alot of central american clubs don't know how to pay the beautiful game like South Americans and Mexican clubs do Id say this concacaf tounament is a waste of the FMFand it's leagues time.

13. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Mexico should send it's best second division clubs to this tournament I'll bet you one of these clubs would win the tournament

14. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i'll put my money on tapatio

15. esesam

esesam Member

Dec 15, 2005
    IL
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara

2015-The dismantling of concacaf

16. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007

Thank God for the concacrap...I was just thinking it would be great for my team to place 6th or 7th. Sometimes I think I should run the Concacrap. Right off the bat there are a ton of things wrong with this tourney, I was REALLY surprised that Costa Rica got snubed big time with only 2 slots. Adding more teams will not give this tournament any more cred or making this conference any more competitive and this tournament is by no means beneficial for ANY Mexican team.

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Hopefully this expansion will kill off the Hanna Barbera Cup.

18. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

I am not trying to be a troll.

LOL If you send 2nd division teams, the Saprissa and Alajuelense will just the CCL everytime.

I, along with quite a lot of people in our nation are pissed off at this. Let me ask Mexicans this...after all of your titles and international success, how does it feel to have MLS, someone who we keep wiping our asses with, as many spots as you do in the CLL?

That BS about the 6-7th team in MFL getting to the South American competitions is just a scandal waiting to happen. "I lose for this amount of money, etc and you get here while I get there", you get what I am saying.

Overall, you guys oughta try going to the South American competitions the the Club World Cup. For one, you will meet a lot of quality teams in South America compared to just meeting two in the Club World Cup.

19. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

wtf are you talking about??? we already go to all of these tournaments.....are you sure you know what you are posting:confused:

20. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

From what is being understood, the top 4 teams in the Mexican league will go to the CCL and they are talking about having the teams that finish 5-7 in South American tournaments. Due to scheduling, there is no way any team will be able to play the CCL, any South American tourney, and the Club World Cup at the same time.

21. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

awww that makes more sense....thats why we are saying to perform sub par in the mexican league in order for america, chivas etc to participate in south american tourney's..thanks for the clarification

22. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

What a clusterfark.

Whats the benefit to our teams for participating?

23. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

LOL

man I love this quote

24. diablo_mayor_09

diablo_mayor_09 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    LYNWOOD

THEY MAID THIS TOUNAMENT TO TRY AND STOP MEXICO FROM GOING TO THE LIBERTADORES AND SUDAMERICANA SO IF THEY DO THEY WILL SEND WEEK TEAMS AND THE TOP TEAMS WILL GO TO THE CANCACAF CAHMPIONS LEAGUE
    AND THE SUPER LIGA IS GONA BE LIKE THE SUDAMERICANA IF THEY DONT GET RID OF IT

25. diablo_mayor_09

diablo_mayor_09 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    LYNWOOD

THATS WAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WITH THIS TORNEO THE TOP 4 ARE GOING TO THE CHAMPIONS THEY ARE GOING TO SEND THE MIDDLE AND BOTTOM OF THE TABLA TO LIBERTADORES AND SUDAMERICANA