CONCACAF Champions League Final: Real Salt Lake vs. Monterrey

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by ImaPuppy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico should move to Conmebol then.

Perhaps is this attitude of ******** concacaf we are better than all of you, that makes the Concacaf kings to want to screw Mexican soccer.

2. bradleyh0220

bradleyh0220 New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    SALUTE to you and your families, best wishes, and best of luck from SLC

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thinking in the quoted post is erroneous on many levels. Foremost, the two best teams in the region made it to the final. Period. The only way these two do not make the final is if they were paird in the same bracket. Second, I think it's clear that CONCACAF rigged the brackets to avoid an all USA final between RSL and the Columbus Crew. I'm not going to waste my time enumerating the other errors.

4. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol RSL had an easy road to the final, had they faced a Mexican team earlier they would have been eliminated. First Mexican team they face in the knockouts and they lose.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because an all USA final has happen multiple times in the past :rolleyes:

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way Santos was playing I think RSL would have won that series, Toluca is not what they used to be, but they are still dangerous (no home field advantage due to altitude).

Cruz Azul regardless of what happened in the group could have been a good series; I would think Blue cross would have won.

So really I feel confident that RSL could have beaten 2 of the 4 Mexican teams in the CCL.

We will never know. All we know Monterrey 2011 CCL Champion.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

talk about overconfidence.

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So what is it MLS fans before the series Monterrey was not that much better after the final it shouldn't have been close.:rolleyes:

9. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Santos was steamrolling everyone before the FO did a stupid decision and fired Romano.
    Toluca is a very dangerous team that know how to use the field to their advantage they took care of the crew last year at home.

RSL is a decent squad but they choked against a Mexican team when they ended up having everything in their favor. The truth while it may be argued is the truth. They faced their first Mexican team in a home and away knockout match and lost.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you include group play, RSL had the better of Cruz Azul, scoring 4 goals in Mexico City and dominating them at Rio Tinto. Cruz Azul took Monterrey to the limit in the semi-finals. In the final, RSL scored 2 goals at Monterrey and were unfortunate to not score 2 last night. I stand by my statement. The 2 best teams played in the final.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;) My all USA statement was meant to be preposterous, and as such is only slightly less preposterous than the one to which it was a response.

12. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24sjOstxam0"]Real Salt Lake 0-1 MONTERREY (global 2-3) - Final vuelta Concachampions 10/11 - Abril 27, 2011[/ame]

13. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not really RSL's fault

Say what you want about a concacaf rigging the draw, they still had to win their group

They also beat a Saprissa side that most people consider the toughest competition in the region outside of a mexican club

It's dumb to try to discredit RSL

They won the games they had to win and they proved to be a worthy finalist against Monterrey

14. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes but with all due respect, group play does not compare to knock out play. Just look at the squads compare them from group play to knock out stage and they are not the same, Mexican teams always step it up in the later rounds.

CA had to bring in starters to rescue that abysmal performance at home. The b team just couldn't get it done in salt lake, by the time Meza tried to react with his subs it was too late.

Again I'm not taking anything away from RSL, they had a great run. But the point still stands they lost to the first Mexican squad they faced in a knockout stage like every other MLS team

15. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, that graph and the fortress video are pretty gay

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool if FEMEXFUT.org.mx could be as gay as the video and the graph.

I mean the FEMEXFUT website is very bad, their links are horrible, and their menu paths are childish.

They need to gay it up a little, bring it to modern times. More style, more graphics, better colors, you know better, gayer.

Maybe hire some College sophomore somewhere, Shit, the WNBA has a better website than the FMF.

17. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh yeah they have a better website than the fmf...

the gap is closing :D

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For sure.:);)

19. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is actually a great chart that was informative; that never states about confidence or lack thereof.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that it asks World Champions?

The answer, no.

It is a bit busy for my liking.

But the point of the graph is to inform the American fan about the concacaf tournament and what it would mean to win it.

Good Idea since in other American sports International club competition is non-existent.

21. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    At first i actually wanted RSL to win because Monterrey was really playing bad and RSL looked like it was displaying a better game. Then after the first game i start reading fans and media talking about thow they have the games in the bag, how its just a matter of seeing how many goals they will score on Mty, the gap is closing, how they wil do a better job in the CLC and all that talk like they had already won made me a neutral. But after reading the after game comments, complaining about depth, salaries, how Suazo killing a minute injury time was the reason why they lost, etc...im glad Monterrey won.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going by what we fans post on BS, then both teams deserved to lose! ;)

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Since 2002, the Impact, a Division-2 team from Canada, have come closer to eliminating a Mexican team than any other other non-Tico team has. They were 12 seconds away from doing so in 2009. No other non-Tico team has come that close in the CONCACAF Club Championship since 2002.

24. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown