CONCACAF Champions League - Announcement 28.01.08

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Nico Limmat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think Costa Rica got screwed--their league is MUCH but than El Salvador's and yet they got the same number of spots and of byes.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is quite a compressed schedule for the 6 group matchdays.

3. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maybe down the road the USOC winner will get one of the 4 spots.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

6 mid-week games in 7 weeks for two (if not four) MLS teams as the playoff races should be hitting full stride in mid-Sept to October.

Houston, DC (and likely CUSA and NE) will need to work on their roster depth if they hope for success in both MLS and CCL.

although, it is difficult to know how the groups will stack up and how difficult the opposition might be.

realistically, I would think MLS would hope for (and expect) 3 or 4 teams to reach the quarterfinals.

5. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revs would have to make the travel anyway. The team that wins the first game will play defence in the second leg. If the fans cared they could make the trip. Mexican fans would travel, why not us?

6. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It seems fair enough as long as Mexico 3 and Mexico 4 don't have to play each other in the preliminary round.

7. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, This would add importance to the USOC. I think fans would take it more serious and teams would too.

8. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah i know how there selecting us clubs, but what about canada and the rest?

9. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those group days are way too compact. CONCACAF ever heard of November, December, or January? If its not too cold for the NFL its not too cold for this.

10. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    It must suck to be a fan of a team that plays bunker ball! :D
    and NO, not all teams that win the first game play defense, specially if away goals are worth more!

and yes travel is possible! but you know that all fans that care, can not always make a trip! besides playing in your own stadium should be a home field advantage!

As a Chivas USA fan, I would rather have a team come and play at the HDC then Chivas having to go play in a field that maybe too narrow, turf or any other type of surface that we may not know of.

11. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    In Regards to Canada, It is up to the Canadian Soccer Association to determine who will represent Canada.

12. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could mean some serious traveling for some team with group stage matches, end of regular season, beginning of playoffs

13. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    The cultured approach, and the one of which DC United seems might consider making is chosing whether to give the MLS Season, playoffs or the most importance.

In MLS you can not reasonably build depth to compete in both the MLS season, playoffs and international tournaments with the rules currently in place so smart clubs will make the choice on what is their #1 priority.

It would not bother me if DC chose to focus on winning everything they can internationally this year (Champions Cup, Champions League, Superliga and either Copa Sudamericana or the Club World Cup) and give the US Open Cup and MLS regular season a pass, who needs another Supporters Shield if you are the Champions of CONCACAF?

The strategy should be:

*finish in the top 4
    *play reserves in the open cup
    *rotate in reserves during regular season games/rest key players
    *make the playoffs
    *win everything internationally

14. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I agree with you. At a minimum, I would have given them two of the automatic spots into the group stage taking away El Salvador's, and reduced Costa Rica's spots in the qualifiers (and increased El Salvador's).

That would still Costa Rica and El Salvador the same number of teams in the tournament, but all three of the El Salvador teams would go through qualifiers and only one of the three from Costa Rica would, but given the historical performances of Saprissa and LDA, two automatic slots in the group stage isn't unreasonable.

15. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Yes, you are correct of course, but it does seem to me that the underlying premise of a "Champion's League" competition is to include, well, champions of the domestic leagues. Not division 2 sides. Not teams that might finish in the bottom half of their league, but teams that have performed well againt the best local competition they could face.

16. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also need to make it to the MLS Cup. If you sacrifice the Supporter's Shield or SS runner-up, you still have to ensure yourself a spot in the following year's CCL

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what do you think the Revs should do?

18. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    So it looks to me like the MLS champion will have to wait A FULL YEAR to play in the Champions Leaugue, correct?

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    There is only one confederation that can successfully pull off a final at a neutral venue: UEFA

All others opt for a home & away series...

20. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I definitely would like to see the USOC winner get one of the four spots. Then the MLS Cup winner, and the two teams with the most points in the regular season. The latter would get the group stage spots, and former would get in directly.

I much prefer the idea of having to win your way past the group stage, and at this point, the Supporter's Shield isn't really considered "winning anything" for fear of sublimating the MLS Cup. Although, this might be better done down the road aways, and the SS winner would get in first at this stage. I definitely want the USOC winner to get a spot, though.

1)MLS Cup Winner
    2)Supporter's Shield Winner
    3)USOC Winner
    4)SS Runner-up.

21. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...eh....are you refering to mexican fans traveling to the games in the United States?...

Whoever wrote this needs to make up his/her mind about what to call a soccer team.

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    who knows how US Soccer (and MLS) will work this out in the long run (if the CCL keeps this current format).

but your list of 4 could actually be 2 teams (if the MLS Cup winner is the USOC winner and one of the top two in the Supporter's Shield table). i'm sure some tie-breaking or secondary qualifier would be found, and the idea of giving a USOC winner a spot in the CCL seems like a decent idea (but who knows if we'll ever see it or how it would work out in practice.

23. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So for calendar year 2008, you're potentially going to have one or two MLS clubs playing in all of these:

- CONCACAF Champions Cup
    - MLS Regular Season
    - Superliga
    - US Open Cup
    - Copa Sudamericana
    - CONCACAF Champions League
    - MLS CUP Playoffs

...with little to no depth to speak of. Eat your veggies and get plenty of shut-eye boys, it's going to be a long season ahead.

USOC's going to get even more marginalized than it already is, unless they offer a CCL spot to the winner.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That might already be the case. The last time the USSF had four spots the allocation went like this:

1. MLS Cup winner
    2. MLS Cup runner-up
    3. Supporters’ Shield winner
    4. U.S. Open Cup winner

If the USOC winner qualified by other means, the next best MLS regular season team would get a spot. Assuming Houston, DCU, New England, and Chivas USA are in the same reasoning could be used for the 08/09 CONCACAF Champions League.

Let's wait and see what the official USSF allocation procedure is.

25. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    im sure there think of some way of getting LALA in
    uh, they were runners up in a major intl competition last year so uh, yeah there going to go instead of NE.

hahahahaha