CONCACAF Champions League - Announcement 28.01.08

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Nico Limmat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Well, TFC and MLSE would owe an explanation to their investors as to why they would lose their expansion fee. And possibly their share in SUM.

2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I don't think it would be good for MLS or TFC, but my response was in the context of how it could be done assuming the process was adversarial (that is, TFC wanted to break away against MLS' wishes). There could also be a consensual split. Both CONCACAF and the CSA had to effectively consent to TFC playing in MLS, and I suppose it is theoretically possible for that consent to be withdrawn for some reason, but I think the chance of that is very remote.

If anything, MLS seems to be working very hard to have closer ties with both Canada and Mexico on a club level. I don't see that changing, and indeed, I can see even more cooperation with Mexico.

3. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Yah I don't think it will ever happen, it was just one of those what if questions. If Canada was to start a pro league I imagine TFC would be happy to stay in the more established more profitable league.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is MLSE?

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Espanol. :D

Actually, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, the owners of the Maple Leafs, the Raptors, and the FC's.

6. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Heh, you gotta love how someone can summarize a 22-pages topic using a single paragraph.