CONCACAF Champions League 2012

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by crazy al, Jun 25, 2012.

1. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have qualified and CONCACAF has released the schedule. So, I figured we needed a thread for this year's adventures in the Champions League. With the PRI playing the first two games on the road, it would appear the Islanders are making sure JRL is ready for their CCL action.

Also, we have a conflict with the away game at LA. I understand the PR national team will be playing in the Digicel Caribbean Cup at that same time. Those games are in the Dominican Republic. We may also lose two players to the DR national team. Hopefully, that will get worked out and we can put our best team on the field for each of our four CCL games.

This is a great group. I believe the Islanders can compete for the top spot so long as they are allowed to field their best players. It would be wonderful to go into the off season knowing we start the new year with an appearance in the CCL quarter-finals. Vamos la Tropa Naranja!

ceezmad repped this.
  2. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    It will be very tough for us to deal with all the games, but we'll see how it goes.

3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    It's not looking very good right now

4. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just returned from vacation. Was in Puerto Rico for the Edmonton and San Antonio games. I also attended the Atlanta game on my way back home. We played well enough to have two victories at home, but could not finish our opportunities. In Atlanta, we had no pure goal scorers on the field after Nick got hurt. Pito is still a work in progress.

From the chatter I heard at the Bayamon Soccer Complex, we have some new players on the way. It sounds like the Islanders are going to strenthen the roster before we hit the CCL. Maybe these new bodies will combine with some old healthy ones for a few wins. Our defense has normally kept us in games. If we can find some consistant offense, we will be back where we were at the start of the season. Here's hoping Whit and the FO have found the right mix and Fana, Foley, Nick and Josh get well quickly.

5. Crop Circles Maria

Aug 1, 2005
    Valencia, California
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    How do you buy tickets for the home game vs. the Galaxy?

6. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to contact the Islanders' front office. Hector Maldonado is in charge of sales. If you go to the Islanders' website,it has contact information.

7. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello! Hello!

Is there anybody here?

Man, there has been NO talk on this forum for a while. We have a big game this week. Although PRI will be really short handed, I think they will push to make it a very competitive game. Regardless of the result, I still see the Islanders having a good chance to win both games in PR (especially if Fana and Foley are well and Needham comes off suspension). With two wins at home, our group could have a three way tie for first place (should LA lose in Metapan). That would be interesting.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the issue will be to win at home by more goals than what you lose on the road.

PR lost by 1 goal to Mattapan?

PR needs to at least keep it close to the Galaxy, tie or lose by only 1 goal.

9. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost by two goals 3-1. We beat Metapan in San Juan 3-1 last year. We need a performance like that again this year.

Metapan lost to LA (5-2, I think). So you are right. It comes down to the effort at home. Can we win and by how much? Also can Metapan beat LA in El Salavador? I think they will. Which means all of the games are very important.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was not pretty, 4-0 I think the final, I only watched the first half but LA B team was winning the game and creating more chances.

11. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Yeah 4-0 was the final. What is going on with the Islanders I expected a lot more then that

12. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long season. Lots of injuries, especially among attackers. This is the fourth straight game for PRI to not score a goal.

Foley, Fana, Hansen and Van Schaik are out with injuries. Delgado played injured or was returning from an injury. Needham was out with a one game suspension. That takes three or four of your top six scorers out of action. With no offense, you can't win games.

Having said that, three signings have added depth. If the injured guys can come back by the 19th, the September version of the Islanders will look a lot different. That squad would play up to expectations. At least, I think they will.

13. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Galaxy played their reserves/kids and still easily dominated. There are no excuses to make.

14. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No excuse, just facts. With the current situation, I am sure your team wishes they were playing us this Saturday rather than our playing Carolina. It is what it is.

BTW there are several of Galaxy's reserves that I wouldn't mind seeing on the Islander roster starting with Stephens. We could use a playmaker like him.

15. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Islanders. You guys looked great in your two home games.