CONCACAF Champions League 1st Round -- Puerto Rico Islanders v. Tauro Panama [R]

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by BoriQa, Sep 17, 2008.

1. BoriQa

BoriQa New Member

May 26, 2007
    Ajax, Canada
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    [​IMG]

Islanders down Tauro FC 2-1
    Puerto Rico opens Champions League group play with win

CONCACAF News - www.concacaf.com
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008
    BAYAMON, PR -- First half goals by Petter Villegas and Kendall Jagdeosingh gave the 10-man Puerto Rico Islanders a 2-1 victory over Tauro FC on Tuesday night in the opening Group Stage game for both teams in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Villegas scored in the 11th and Jagdeosingh added his in the 26th, continuing the surprising run of the Islanders. Edwin Aguilar, who scored both goals in Tauro’s 2-0 Preliminary Round first-leg victory over Chivas USA, pulled the Panamanian side within a goal in the 58th.

[​IMG]Puerto Rico played the final 21 minutes a man down after midfielder James Marcelin drew a second yellow card for a foul on Jhoan Melo, but still moved atop Group D with Club Santos Laguna set to host CSD Munipal on Wednesday.

It was the second goal in as many games for Jagdeosingh, who also scored in the Islanders’ 2:1 second-leg victory over Costa Rica’s LD Alajuelense in the Preliminary Round, a result which eliminated the two-time CONCACAF Champions’ Cup winner.

Puerto Rico had the better of play early. Villegas was left unmarked on the left side of the penalty area, settled a looping ball from Jonathan Steele with his right and struck a ball with his right just under the bar from about 15 yards.

Jagdeosingh doubled the advantage with a largely individual effort, twisting to create space for himself 30 yards from goal and getting the ball on his left foot before driving a shot into the upper left corner that goalkeeper Willington Dominguez was able to deflect with his fingers but not enough to stop.

Puerto Rico also had another goal by John Krause disallowed for offside in the 16th.

Tauro largely was limited to shots from distance in the first half with its best chance coming when Islanders goalkeeper Bill Gaudette misplayed a ball and let it bounce over his head in the 43rd, but Luis Esscobar fell in the penalty area and wasn’t able to capitalize.

Puerto Rico had the majority of possession in the second half as well, but Tauro scored against the run of play when Aguilar split two defenders and looped a header over Gaudette as he ran through the top of the penalty area.

2. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Very good game, and the crowd was really into it.
    Good result, but it's ashame that they gave up the goal.......the scoreline doesn't do the game justice. But meh, I'm happy :)

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    We should have sealed it with that 1 on 1 against the keeper towards the end instead of having to suffer those last minutes. But good game either way. The second goal was sick.

4. Dest

Dest New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was watching I didn't like the away goal, but then I realized its the group stage and away goals are the third (or so?) tie breaker, so it wasn't too heartbreaking.