CONCACAF CCL [Rs] & WC Pre-Selection

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Alex-Ref

Alex-Ref Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Very challenging game to referee between Montreal and Olimpia tonight, marked with a big moment of controversy in the 85th minute. I thought that the referee and ARs did a great job overall controlling the game prior to the incident. Incident is linked here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/10/montreal-impact-late-penalty-kick-waved-loss-cd-olimpia. Basically, the ref Escobedo called a PK against Olimpia for handball and then changed the decision after consulting with his AR (no VAR in this tournament). I thought it was the right decision, as the ball hit the defender’s right arm, which was in a natural position and below shoulder height. Escobedo initially thought the ball hit the defender’s left arm, which was extended well beyond the playing silhouette. Interesting enough, had there been VAR (and the AR didn’t intervene), I don’t think it would have been clear and obvious to overturn since the right arm was still somewhat extended. The video shows Escobedo restarting with a drop ball to the GK (even though the ball went out before he blew the whistle), but he eventually (with help) correctly changed it to a corner.

After this incident, he lost control of the game and the dissent spiraled out of control. Escobedo then missed some easy decisions (CK/GK and TIs) as well toward the end of this crazy game.

2. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Escobar, Escobedo... fitness, fitness, fitness... but where is the accuracy in decision-making? Or that does not matter for Concacaf refereeing?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Alex, noticed that too..is there a clip you could post. I believe in getting the call right

I was impressed by his fitness, but after the pk reversal..he mentally crumbled.

Alex-Ref repped this.
  4. Alex-Ref

Alex-Ref Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    There’s a clip in the link I attached above.

5. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    thank you, it would help if i could read!

6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not to Brian Hall. All he cares about is how you "look" and how well you run the fitness test. He's sent guys home for not making the time fast enough on a fitness test believe it or not.

In the 10+ years he's been in charge of CONCACAF refereeing, there seemingly has been no marginal improvement in the quality of regional refereeing since when he was a referee.