News: CONCACAF Beginns reform after scandal.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by The Germans are coming, Jul 6, 2015.

1. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
  2. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Very unlikely Horace Burrell will likely take over as concacaf president. He served a six month suspension during the last concacaf shake up for receiving bribes The CFU still has all the power and they have an endless list of corrupt members to continue the gravy train

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As with all things it's a matter of deeds, not words. They're certainly capable of reform and it helps that the big bad wolf of the FBI/IRS is behind much of this impetus, given how much CONCACAF relies on the US market for its money. I think it's a matter of will, as in who'll lead the charge and will they corral support, and on how the whole of the FIFA scandal breaks down. If the rest of FIFA somehow manages to escape prosecution and the need for major change then it will be very tough for the powers within CONCACAF to steer straight and true.

4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Since this might be the most critical piece to the reform process and it's not getting much attention here, I figure I'd add some thoughts. I don't think the political will is truly there for reform, given some of the language released from the docs. Understanding that Blazer was a chief culprit here, I do think you'll see cleaner US rep/governance going forward. Too much is at stake with MLS, broadcasters, and sponsorship. Ditto most of the larger feds, including T&T.

My concern is with the small islands. I think transparency will be difficult to achieve here. If it can't get done, I can see a day when the three NA, the 7 Central American and some others walk.

I wouldn't have thought this reasonable 5 years ago, but if stuff doesn't change, there is a real possibility that we need to see some very drastic mechanisms put in place to force transparency: combined FAs where the old FAs get a vote within the new structure as a board with respect to cost monitoring, resource allocation, etc.

I'm not suggesting a broad stroke Windies cricket concept. Rather something more sub regional that respects language, culture, and geography better. Example: the Lesser Antilles (excl T&T) has 11-12 English speaking Islands of about 1500 sq miles and a million people. It's a politically difficult proposition to join them as a single FA, but that's exactly why it would likely be more transparent. If they get one Gold Cup check, they'd need to figure out how to spend it and there would be serious discussion between the 11-12 about costs, best uses of resources, equity, transparency, goals,etc for the fact that none of the 11 wants to be screwed. This wouldn't work everywhere (Bermuda and the Caymans are kind of "orphans"), but it would probably clean up a lot of the mess.