CONCACAF 2022 U20/U23 Championships Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    To be fair, the Toulon tournament where Santiago will play is being played next week during the FIFA break. Mexico's best player in the U20, Marcelo Flores, wasn't released by Arsenal for the U20 tournament and thus was called up for the June friendlies and the Nations Leagues.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #77 gomichigan24, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Mexico has one European player on their U20 roster. That’s not really evidence they didn’t have a problem. We will have more than one Euro player. And we’ll have plenty of MLS players too. How many of the MLS players that Mexico called are playing regularly for their clubs right now?

Santiago Muñoz Isn’t relevant given that their U21s are playing during the window and not at the same time as this tournament.

Gomez being released is also a sign that his club doesn’t feel like he’s close to the first team yet.

Let’s wait till the US roster is released before we start complaining about players who were released?

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the club thought he was close to being a regular first team player they’d likely want him there for the start of preseason, as Arsenal seem to with Flores.

He’s only been there five months and the jump from USL is large, so it’s not crazy that he’s not quite ready for the first team yet.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not all clubs react the same.

Gomez was on the first team bench not long after arriving. I think that shows how they rate him.

I’ve heard that he’s rated very high by Real Sociedad. Their fans seem to recognize his ability.

I hope USMNT fans don’t start acting like this doesn’t matter, if he plays for Mexico.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spanish clubs generally take longer to get players to their first teams than other countries. Spain’s player development methodology is a lot more patient compared to other countries. Gomez doing what he’s done already and getting on a first team match day roster so quickly is a huge testament to his talent.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying he’s not close to first team football doesn’t mean he doesn’t matter or that he’s not a good prospect. It just means he not close to the first team yet.

Is it your expectation he’s going to spend much time playing for the first team this fall?

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    His choice won't be impacted by fans reaction.

Maximum Optimal repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way, if Gomez plays for Mexico fans should be pretty pissed. Unfortunately Gregg & co can’t win them all but this was a pretty critical one to win. I won’t be in uproar directly at Gregg and ussoccer about this one, there’s a huge cultural connection for the Mexican Americans that makes recruiting against Mexico harder than any other country for us by far. JoGo likely had all of his family, and most of his non ussoccer playing friends all telling him to play for Mexico. On top of that, he likely grew up religiously devoted to watching El Tri making it even harder for us

ChicagoVT and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I see some guys already blaming GGG as to why he didn't call him in for the Gold Cup. I guess they will always try someone to blame and will never consider the player's reason as a legit answer. There is always someone to blame.

He wasn't ready and still isn't ready for the senior team for neither US nor Mexico. That's why Mexico is calling him up to their U20s and not to their senior team. Kid is okay with going through the process of playing U20s and one day making it to their senior team. But here people wanted him in the senior team cap tied and given minutes while playing in USL otherwise it was Gregg's incompetence for calling in Bello and Vines.

11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From @bshredder's latest midweek round-up column. He's referencing the tweet from Vizela about Alejandro Alvarado:

"It remains to be seen if this is for the final roster for the CONCACAF U-20 tournament next month that will serve as qualifying for both the 2023 U-20 World Cup and the 2024 Olympics. But it is puzzling given that Alvarado had not played in any of the team’s four camps this cycle and hasn’t stood out at the club level. If he is on the team, it likely means that head coach Mikey Varas is really struggling with his releases."

http://americansoccernow.com/articl...ve-youth-flourishes-in-open-cup-amp-much-more

ChicagoVT and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very few 2003’s are ready for the senior level. Exceptions are golden boy talents or players who’s position has such little depth that the first player with a pulse could get called up. Outside of those situations we shouldn’t ever expect a 18-19 year old to be ready for the senior international level unless they’re actively getting it done in a top 5 league or the champions league

STR1 and Maximum Optimal repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Never said it would be. Let's not revise history is my point. Gomez is an elite level prospect. Don't try to sell me on George Bello or John Tolkin. If they have better careers, something went terribly wrong in Gomez' career.

Also, this idea that this won't be any eventual issue for the USMNT is crazy. People talk about Antonee Robinson as if he's some world class LB. He's nearly 25 years old, and was playing in the Championship last year. He'll play in the Premier League this season, but there's also a chance that he's a back up or he's back in the Championship next season. If we had a team full of Antonee Robinson's, we aren't getting any better. He may not be the problem, but he's not the solution.

Now imagine that Gomez will play for our biggest rival. Potentially 100+ caps for Mexico. How many games will that have some impact on our team? Probably a lot, given direct competition and indirect results within the region. As long as Gomez pans out, thats almost certainly the biggest dual-nat loss ever. You cannot lose players at that level to Mexico. Losing a player to England or Germany or Japan is a lot more palatable.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hasn't stood out?

Not sure any of us are watching enough of Vizela youth teams to have an opinion on that. He's played a few games for the first team, and done well. Playing only limited minutes as the youngest player on their first team when the team was battling relegation all season doesn't mean he hasn't stood out at the club level.

I'm not sure what #8's would be better options.

Pl@ymaker, SCSAutism and TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I haven't looked for a roster, but apparently Suriname has called up a player with AZ.

Also, unsurprisingly I suppose, this feature about a T&T prospect says the U20 coach should have a roster out in "the next few days."

https://tt.loopnews.com/content/gill-eyes-place-tt-team-concacaf-u20

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they did end up getting released after all.

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/zvvenxhj/cmu20-provisional-rosters.pdf

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #92 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    Geez, were they just waiting for the Gomez news to drop first? ;)

More importantly: middle names! Always a fun side-element of these rosters...

Also: There's a fun Easter Egg (son of a former player of some note) on Panama's roster.

Finally: A reminder that while being on these lists doesn't mean you've committed to a given program, they are binding in the sense that your final roster has to come from the guys you put on here.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    At what point I said that Gomez isn't the top prospect? You are creating paper tigers and then heroically fighting them.

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed Gomez is on both the US and Mexico list and Koleosho is on both the US and Canada list.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not saying you did. I'm talking about what I am already seeing from others.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the players need to consent to being on these rosters?

Winoman repped this.
  22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Don't want to cause fratricidal conflict but the wrong Wolff is on the list.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The only player from the most recent U20 camp not on the provisional list is Anthony Sorenson. Anyone know if he is injured?

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, if he was a standout for his club, wouldn't we be calling him up for the USMNT instead?o_O

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question! I really don't know. I don't *think* so, but I could be wrong. @bshredder, do you know?

gomichigan24 repped this.