CONCACAF 2022 U20/U23 Championships Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This tweet suggests that Jamaica 1) is having a camp now or at some point presumably not far from now and 2) also maybe submitted a 60-man provisional roster. I haven't seen a camp roster. Their MNT has a game tomorrow.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. DeweyEvans

DeweyEvans Member

United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I believe the US camp starts June 8

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This tournament has a strange format. The four lowest-ranked qualifiers are placed straight into the knockout rounds, while the top 16 play a group stage with three teams from each group advancing to the knockouts. Is there a reason for this or just CONCACAF being CONCACAF?

ChicagoVT, TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new face at the “pre camp” for this tournament. Must be having trouble with club releases if we are seeing new faces this close to the start of the tournament?

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It seemed like in the latest interview with @bshredder Varas implied that releases were gonna be an issue to some degree. With that said, it's been a short cycle and he probably hasn't been able to get everyone into camp that he might want anyhow. And you'd expect the pre-tournament camp to have some competition and cover for injuries, etc.

ussoccer97531, Pl@ymaker and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Releases are tougher than expected for the Euro-based guys even though the whole point of having the tournament in the summer was to have everyone available.

But CONCACAF being CONCACAF didn't schedule this tournament during the two-week window in June (the scheduled it after). Now, Euro clubs want these young players for preseason.

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I thought this might become an issue. For a player like Gomez the pre-season is crucial to his bid for a place in the squad or even starting lineup. Even if his club was willing to release him for the tournament, I'm not sure it is in his interest to pass up part of pre-season. Ditto for Che, Paredes, Sealy and Pukstas. Look at the choice Luca de la Torre made last summer with the senior team. It is the same thing.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frustrating that CONCACAF wouldn't have scheduled this tournament during the actual international window.

9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s baffling, really.

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of think they just didn't realize European preseasons were going to get moved up this year with the World Cup throwing off schedules there and causing the season to start sooner.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think concacaf would really have a reason to care about European preseason for a u20 event. Realistically, we are the only team that’s actually affected by this and the other 15 teams are not. Even if we lose 5 or 6 players from this group we’re still the most professionally experienced team by far and should still be expected to win every match handily and qualify, just like the last 4 u20 cycles did

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    We probably have to beat a good team (likely Canada) in the quarters to qualify for the U20 tournament and an even better team in the semis to make the Olympics. It does bother me our squad could be missing some of its best players.

Winoman repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there are going to be more players missing than most would think. I don’t even know if it’ll be a B team. There are a lot of injuries, and then a bunch who weren’t released.

We should still absolutely qualify, but it’s a bummer when we can’t even come close to fielding our best players. This idea that we were going to be able to field the A team this summer isn’t coming close to materializing.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Koleosho's on the Canada MNT's summer roster.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Art Bell would have found the answer!

DeweyEvans repped this.
  16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concacaf didn’t say European-based releases in their press release announcing the tournament, but they implied it

it’s a complete backfire. Euro-based players would have a better chance of getting released midseason as opposed to preseason. Not all but most 18-year-olds play and train far more with the 1st team in preseason than in the regular season

upload_2022-5-25_19-45-40.jpeg

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Camp starts June 8 and the tournament starts June 18? Why are we the last always to start late and then proceed to not qualify and blame it on not having enough time?

As for the Euro releases, Mexico isn't having any problems with their Euro players so there shouldn't be any problems with ours unless they really want to stick to that excuse.

ChicagoVT and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Mexico has named a roster so we don’t know they aren’t having issues. How many European based U20s does Mexico even have?

We actually rarely fail to qualify at the U20 level. Since 97, 2011 was the only time.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am more concerned w/ the possibility of important domestic players not getting released by their clubs. It seems like a lot of the issues could have been easily resolved by starting this camp/window one week earlier. It isn't rocket science. Just schedule the camp/games during the 3 week Intl Window.

EDIT... After looking at the dates it looks like the camp would have needed to start before this Intl Window and then the games could have been played during it. It might have made it easier to get YAs involved but I am not sure it solves the domestic issue.

21. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

gomichigan24 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well once Gomez plays for Mexico in this tournament he’ll have to file a switch to be able to play for the US.

24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    6 players formed in the US. I know the only one that will be talked about is JoGo but damn, MLS is doing an excellent job and I still see Mexican fans (and even US fans who are anti-MLS) say MLS is an amateur retirement league. Not bad for a league with 26 years of existence.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  25. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You see, Mexico has no problem when it comes to calling in their Euro players. Some were speculating that JoGo wouldn't be released if we called him up yet Mexico called him and they didn't have any problems. They also called in Santiago Muñoz to their U21 team and didn't have a problem there either. And they also don't have a problem either with calling in MLS players as they get released too.

But when it comes to us the excuses are always that players aren't being released so we have to settle for other players.

ChicagoVT and TheFalseNine repped this.