CONCACAF 2022 U20/U23 Championships Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    You're probably right. I looked at the 2018 roster announcement and the US waited until about a week before the tournament began to publicly release it. I was just getting my hopes up that it would come out in May.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Marcelo Flores has chosen Mexico, per his Twitter. Wonder if we'll see him at U20 qualifying.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For usa’s sake I hope not. He tore our team apart single-handedly. As much as I don’t like Mexico, Marcelo is a threat at this level and likely will continue to be on their senior team

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #31 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Canada released its provisional roster. They filled it to the brim, with a lot of overseas-based players and guys who had at least flirted with other countries (including the U.S.) recently.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canad...-for-the-concacaf-mens-under-20-championship/

I really have no idea whether CONCACAF will release a full compilation of all provisional squads as it has done for recent major competitions, or whether it will be left to the countries. But I don't think either are obligated.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #32 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Has anyone seen anything else from CONCACAF or the federations lately?

Here's a recent Honduran callup list, but it appears to be for a camp, not a provisional roster. It may be of course that anyone on this list is on the provisional roster, since my understanding of the rules is that you have to be on the PR to play in the tournament.

I also noticed that Perez recently said (in the same Twitter thread linked above) that 5 members of the ES U20 squad are seen as senior candidates, or something like that.

I figure all the provisional lists must have been filed by now, unless I suppose some kind of extension was granted.

ussoccer97531, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ended up finding the full list for a Jamaica u20 training camp happening this week although I don't believe it was announced by their federation.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Any American players on the list?

10. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apart from Zion Scarlett, Matthew Taylor of Atlanta United is listed.

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe Davidson's American too? Not sure, but he seems to have played for Weston at some point, and a lot of Americans end up at Malaga.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an amazing name:
    Luc de Fougerolles

Dave Marino-Nachison and Winoman repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    T&T is in camp.

14. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Televised on TUDN

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In case you wanna read more about that:

Concacaf's new agreement with TelevisaUnivision will also include two editions of the Concacaf Men's U20 Championship, beginning with the tournament slated to be played in Honduras in June 2022. This competition will be played under a new format that qualifies teams to both the FIFA U20 World Cup and the Paris 2024 Summer Olympic Games. The agreement will also see TelevisaUnivision cover two editions of the Concacaf Men’s U17 Championships, two editions of the Concacaf Beach Soccer Championships and one edition of the Concacaf Futsal Championship.​

https://www.concacaf.com/news/conca...agree-to-multi-year-media-rights-partnership/

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #41 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    I think, after the latest round of signings and first-team appearances, these are the only current U20s (guys with callups) who don't have pro deals, based partly on semi-educated guesses. Please correct me if I'm wrong! (Deleted/reposted after initially putting in the wrong thread.)

Dade KyMani
    Downs Damion
    Fletcher Kristian
    Guadalupe Quembol
    Karumanchi Tarun
    Van Deventer Jayvin

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the expected date of the U20 roster release? Shouldn't camp be soon?

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glutton4Bolts, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And at this point, I guess I'd be surprised if we saw a provisional roster, though maybe if a few other FAs release theirs, we'd join in. With that said, since we haven't even called 60 guys into the U20s, we can probably guess at who would be on it, give or take a few surprises I suppose (which might be why the list hasn't been announced).

gomichigan24 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full tournament regulations here, if anyone's interested.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's also supposed to be a U19 camp in Europe soonish, which might reasonably include some 04s who are aiming for qualifying.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tweeted to Arch Bell, the senior writer/editor for concacaf.com, and he said the provisional rosters will not be released/published by the confederation. Oh well. Should have the final 20-man roster around June 8th.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess the main takeaway is that the lists won't be published, but the explanation is confusing, at least to me. Unless I'm reading this wrong, the rules say there was a deadline for the provisional rosters (which I'm pretty sure has passed) and that those lists are binding for the purpose of final roster selection. So what part exactly is fluid?

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was confused by that as well. Maybe he means that the release of the provisional rosters is up to the individual federations? Like Canada did recently.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That could be it. It's also consistent, I'm pretty sure, with recent CONCACAF YNT tournaments.

TheFalseNine repped this.