CONCACAF 2020 U20 qualifying: All team and tournament news and info

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Why am I posting about this now when the qualifying tournament doesn't start until the summer? Because it turns out pre-qualification, or whatever you want to call it, is happening now, with 17 teams competing across 4 groups to see which 4 will join, if I understand things correctly, the 12 that advance out of the "main" group stage (in which the U.S. is participating) into the all-important knockout rounds.

You got that? I'm ... really not sure I do. But anyway, CONCACAF is tracking it here:

https://www.concacaf.com/en/under-20s-men

Setup story here:

https://www.concacaf.com/en/under-2...to-reach-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship

Short blurbs on the qualifying nations' programs are here:

https://res.cloudinary.com/concacaf...9/concacaf-prod/assets/ENG___2020CU20Mens.pdf

Winoman, ielag and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm just going to sit back and stay out of your way this time ...

Edit: D'oh!

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #3 Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Based on a quick skim, it looks like either Nicaragua or Guyana will win Group A; Grenada or the Dominican Republic will win Group B; Guadeloupe has won Group C; and Barbados or the Cayman Islands will win Group D.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #5 Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    It seems that all the games are done and Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, Guadeloupe and Barbados will advance. So, again, these 4 teams are waiting for the 12 teams from the group stage (in which the U.S. is participating), which will fill out the knockout stage.

Of some note, perhaps, to the U.S. pool, while probably unsurprising Alec Diaz played for Puerto Rico in this round and, I assume, is therefore officially ineligible for the U.S. U20s.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it was better to be the 17th ranked nation and get drawn into a group with teams anywhere from 18-41 in Concacaf then to be ranked 16th and end up needing to advance to the knockout against a group of teams ranked anywhere from 1-15.

Or more concretely... Aruba's (16th) path to the knockout round involves having to play Canada, Mexico and El Salvador and come in 3rd while the Dominican Republic's (17th) path to the knockout was Grenada, Dominica, and Anguilla and needing to come in first. I'd probably vote the latter if I had a choice.

TimB4Last repped this.