Computer gremlins

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tcmahoney, Jul 11, 2003.

1. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    OK. I'm running Windows Millennium at home. About the only thing I'm doing out of the ordinary is running the SETI@home program. Well, tonight, I finally get home and try to log on to my e-mail. Do that, log out, decide to go back in after surfing BigSoccer for a while. Usually I tab around between the username and password, but when I tried to do that just now, all I did was surf between the IE window and the SETI@home window.

So I closed out of IE, and tried to log in using the toolbar icon. I got the "Launch Internet Explorer Browser Properties" pop-up box instead of an IE window. I clicked on my desktop IE icon, and the window opened normally.

So. What's going on? Thanks for your answers.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like a "stuck" mouse button or [Alt] key. And I don't mean in a hardware sense - it's some software bug. I've seen it too from time to time on my W2K rig.

The only solution I know of that doesn't involve reboot is to try a) closing applications, and b) executing one of these unintended commands (like, for example, selecting a menu command via keyboard shortcuts - press [F] and you'll see what I mean.) Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

Oh, just found a suggested solution on Google - hold down the right alt key for a second or two, and it "often" clears the problem. It might be "accessability" related.

3. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Thanks. I rebooted last night right afte I posted this and it solved the problem, but it's just that my computer does some odd things sometimes. One favorite is Internet Explorer showing up in the drop-down menu under Start>Documents. That's a program, folks, not a document.

Also, when I had the Yaha virus, my calculator would suddenly switch on by itself. I'm still paranoid about that and will use a physical calculator instead of the computer's calculator.

4. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Great. My AVG anti-virus program just gave me a notification in the form of a dramatic blue screen that I'm running some virus called "Tiny." But when I ran AVG -- nothing. Got an update from AVG, even though it said I didn't need one. Still nothing.

Consider three very bad words said.

Any help out there?

5. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I once got a virus notification, but it was caused by some website, and wasn't actually on my computer. Do a google search on the virus, maybe?

6. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    I did do that. Nothing that really would've applied in my case. I had a suspicious e-mail in my Yahoo! e-mail, but I deleted it without opening it, and immediately emptied the trash.

So we'll see.

7. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
  8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I got a little problem. When I start up my computer, I can only be on for so long before a window pops up saying "RPC (Remote Procedure Call) terminated unexpectedly", then it counts down from 60 secs and automatically restarts. Other times, a window will pop up saying there's an error with my Win32 service. Then after I close that, THEN the RPC window comes on. Major problem and it's pissing me off. HELP!

9. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Guess what guys. I've been doing this problem all day at work.

You definately need the patch. If you can't stay on long enough to get the patch you can enable the XP firewall (assuming you are running XP)
    and that will block the explot long enough to get the patch.

Ya gotta do the windows updates.

more info

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2003-19.html

10. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    dam right. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ should be your computer's best friend.

i'm waiting for the mac nerd to chime in about how they don't have these problems....

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    nobody gets famous writing a virus that only a few people are going to get.