Complete list of Foreigners in the MFL

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Various Styles, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Hank Rearden

Thank you for the information. So does this mean that Irapuato/Veracruz II was bought by the owners of Chiapas, and Chiapas inherits their standings in the Descenco table?

The Owner of Irapuato still owns Irapuato they have been relegated to second division (Primera A) The Clubs Franchise is what is taken from them. Most of these Clubs get sponsered by Promoters and Investors who basically buy out the franchise. When they decide the Club isnt making them enough money they will take the franchise and use it to start another team.

I am not sure how the Descenso table and ranking go into work, im assuming they start them as if they were just promoted.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Castillo of Bolivia went over to Tecos this week and found out that all the foreigner spots were taken. What's the matter with them? Can't they make a phone call?

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    deejay

Castillo of Bolivia went over to Tecos this week and found out that all the foreigner spots were taken. What's the matter with them? Can't they make a phone call?

The problem is that the Chileno Navia was going to go to Medina of Serie B on loan but the deal didnt go through. I beleive Castillo will get loaned out to another MFL Club :)

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: deejay

Papers here say that he won't be able to play in Mexico and is coming back to Bolivia.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    varius --- the name is Messina of 2nd division - italy
    el negocio de navia mo salio, tecos esta negociando a A. castillo hoy, el plazo son las 12am

solo hay 2 equipos mexicanos con cupo para extrangeros, Atlante y se me escapa el nombre.

parece que atlante no tiene con que satisfacer demandas salariales del boliviano.

6. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Re: yes i know

Also Claudio Husain (Plate). Was in the squad but didn't play.

7. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I found it a bit odd that there are so few Central Americans in the MFL. Do they want to play in MFL and just not make the grade? Was it different before the collapse of S.American economies made it dirt cheap to get players from there?

I think Mike Sorber, Balboa, and Tab Ramos are US players who were in MFL pre-MLS.

Is there any sense in Mexico and MFL that there needs to be some change or improvement in response to the loss to the US in the WC-or is it just seen as a freak occurrance? Not trolling or anything. It seems like the US improved over the years in large part due to the challenge Mexico always presented. The competition could be a real positive for the two countries. Or it might be seen as irrelevant in Mexico(at the league level, that's the way it seems to be ). Just curious.

8. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Re: FLAVIO MAESTRI

I never liked that guy.

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Newman

I found it a bit odd that there are so few Central Americans in the MFL. Do they want to play in MFL and just not make the grade?

Most Central American football leagues are semi-pro at best. The few quality players that come out of those leagues are quickly snapped up. It is also easier to find better footballers in South America.

Is there any sense in Mexico and MFL that there needs to be some change or improvement in response to the loss to the US in the WC-or is it just seen as a freak occurrance?

The Mexican press credited the U.S beign the better team as the reason for the Loss. The only response that brought change was the elimination of all youth Squads to their respective tourneys.

The MFL has been working in their Youth Teams since last year, Check out my TriColores06 thread for more info :)

The competition could be a real positive for the two countries. Or it might be seen as irrelevant in Mexico..

Because Mexico participates in Conmebol Tourneys, beating the U.S is no big deal. It is not a priority. The U.S only participates TFC tournaments therefore it is important for them to be the best in the region. Unless Mexico wants to regain its GIANT status once again in the TFC then they better start getting results, but with all the scandal involving Warner, Allan RoTTenberg and Blazer, It seems as if Mexico doesnt care about anything having to do with the TFC...

10. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Thanks VS.

I think a lot of US fans look at the Uefa competions (Champions Cup, Uefa cup) and wish that Concacaf had some answer to that. Thus our emphasis on TFC tourneys. It is frustrating that Mexico simply doesn't respect them, but understandable. Copa Libertedores is a great tournament. It would be nice if MLS could buy a spot or two, just to have matches vs. international clubs that meant something to them. The only other option here is for soccer interest (and $$$) to grow in the US to the point that it would be worth MFL's time and commitment to care about TFC competitions. Not sure that will ever happen, certainly not for decades.

I guess my point with the Central American players is that they'd come looking for MFL. MFL is wealthy enough to pick off the top 2 or 3 players from Costa Rica or Honduras. In that whole list of Foreign MFL ers it looked like there were only a couple of C. Americans. I guess I can see why MLS has such an easy time signing them.

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Re: Re: FLAVIO MAESTRI

how come?

12. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the MFL de Kalamazoo, MI

I am one of the "foreigners" in the league. After playing for Atlante last year, and registering 7 goals in 9 games, I formed my on team this year.

"Los Vatos" - which has a primarily "American" roster, along with 3 Mexicans, 1 Chinese, and a Peruvian.

On our first year (this year), we finished 10th, (of 14), not too good. I guess us Americans are not good enough. :(

I know not relevant to the conversation, all true, but just having a little fun.

James

13. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the best website to follow the MFL, even if it's in Spanish? I watch plenty of matches every year without ever knowing what's going on in the standings.

I've been watching Mexican footie since I was 13(i'm 25), not bad for a gringo eh?

Also, what's the general opinion on this kid Frankie Oviedo? I've only seen him a couple times but he impressed me a great deal.

14. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Mattinho

What's the best website to follow the MFL, even if it's in Spanish?

www.esto.com.mx

I watch plenty of matches every year without ever knowing what's going on in the standings.

:eek:

I've been watching Mexican footie since I was 13(i'm 25), not bad for a gringo eh?

And you still dont know whats going on :eek:

Also, what's the general opinion on this kid Frankie Oviedo? I've only seen him a couple times but he impressed me a great deal.

He got Injured during the SuperClassico. He was recently Operated and will out for 5 months..

15. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Mattinho

It's just hard to keep up with the standings with the group thing goin on. I usually just enjoy the games and when the "playoff's" happen, then and only then, do I find out who the best team's were.

It's not exactly the easiest system to figure out if you're a foreigner although I have no problem with the system personally. Now the Brazilian leagues on the other hand... ;)

By the way, not all American's think that the MLS is better than Mexico, I've seen you have discussions about this with the locals round here and I can assure you, it disturbs me that we try to compare ourselves to your league or any other for that matter. My brothers can't even stand to watch MLS anymore.

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Newman

I think a lot of US fans look at the Uefa competions (Champions Cup, Uefa cup) and wish that Concacaf had some answer to that. Thus our emphasis on TFC tourneys.

Same thing happened to Mexicans for years. The closest thing we had to Club competition was the InterAmerican Cup, which the South Americans never took serious.

The TFC had no competition for years and the Champions Cup was played in odd years with past champs, very poor and disorganised.

Now that the U.S has stepped up and the TFC has gotten more Organized, Mexico has gotten its foot in Conmebol. I dont blame them if they would rather play against Boca Jrs than Joe Pubic.

It is frustrating that Mexico simply doesn't respect them, but understandable. Copa Libertedores is a great tournament. It would be nice if MLS could buy a spot or two, just to have matches vs. international clubs that meant something to them.

Hopefully the PanAmerican Cup will take place next year. This would be the Americas version of the UEFA Cup and should be interesting to watch..

The only other option here is for soccer interest (and $$$) to grow in the US to the point that it would be worth MFL's time and commitment to care about TFC competitions.

That is one of the main problems. TFC tournaments dont offer much Prize Money. This makes the tournament less attractive to MFL Clubs, which the TFC depends on for the success of their Cups.

I guess my point with the Central American players is that they'd come looking for MFL. MFL is wealthy enough to pick off the top 2 or 3 players from Costa Rica or Honduras.

The MFL has had/has the Top players from Central America. Last year Pavon (Hon) played with Morelia before joining Udinese of Serie A. also Winston Parks, Fonseca and Medford of Costa Rica played in Mexico.

that whole list of Foreign MFL ers it looked like there were only a couple of C. Americans. I guess I can see why MLS has such an easy time signing them.

Not even the MLS gets the best Central Americans. I would say they get 3rd pick. Wanchope considered Costa Ricas top strikers plays in England. Honduras best bet for the future Suazo plays in Serie A.

The Only Central Americans the MLS has are the Salvadoireans who couldnt even qualify to the HEX. The Guatemalan "Pescadito" Hernandez seems to be the MLS best foreigner right now (like i mentioned before) he was playing in the Norwegian or Greek league before returning. We have yet to see what he will do for his National Team..

17. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Re: rdl

The '97 Chivas side used to dominate & @ the time, they had 0 foriegners. Much like the era of players staying w/ 1 team over their entire career, foreigners bring creativity and offensive explosion to the game.

Are MFL teams limited to 4 foreign players?
    How many of the argies are in there 1st contract yr, I just finished watching la primera highlights & I didn't recognize too many of boca's players. I could've sworn they said their 10 was only 17yrs old! How has the argentine economic snafu impacted the quality of play in mexico? I would like to see an improvement in pace ala la primera.

18. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Mattinho

It's just hard to keep up with the standings with the group thing goin on.

The Top two teams of Each Group Qualify to the Play offs. Its that Simple.

I usually just enjoy the games and when the "playoff's" happen, then and only then, do I find out who the best team's were.

The play offs can be tricky. Many times the Clubs that performed the best throughout the season end up geting Knocked out by a weaker Club.

By the way, not all American's think that the MLS is better than Mexico, I've seen you have discussions about this with the locals round here and I can assure you, it disturbs me that we try to compare ourselves to your league or any other for that matter.

What happens most of the Time is that the Yanks go by the results in friendlys or TFC Cups. These can be tricky because they are mostly played in the U.S and during the MFL pre season.

My brothers can't even stand to watch MLS anymore.

Last MLS game i saw was the MLS Cup final, Galaxy vs San Jose. It was an entertaining game. Yet I dont follow the League because of their format.

10 teams with Play offs where only two cant make it doesnt seem to appealing and it makes the season preaty worthless, Conference Chamops means nothing to me. I also hate the Designated Venue one game format.

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    wu-tang beez

The '97 Chivas side used to dominate & @ the time, they had 0 foriegners.

Word. :D Half of the 97 Squad was in the World Cup 98 team. The players However got sold and we have since not been able to play like that :(

Are MFL teams limited to 4 foreign players?

Five foreigners can play at the same time, Up to six can be registered with the Club. Only four players are allowed in the field in games played in Mexico City.

How many of the argies are in there 1st contract yr, I just finished watching la primera highlights & I didn't recognize too many of boca's players.

Erveti and Franco from San Lorenzo Almagro Championship team now with Moneterrey are around 22/23yrs old. There is also Walter Gaitan ex Boca Jrs with Tigres.

How has the argentine economic snafu impacted the quality of play in mexico? I would like to see an improvement in pace ala la primera.

As you can see The players comming to Mexico are Younger 21-23 as opposed to before 28-30 and they are also quality players.

This years Argentine Clubs have not been able to beat Mexican Clubs not even in Buenos Aires !!!

20. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    I find this thread fascinating. I'm a US fan and don't follow MFL too much. I recognize a few names on the list, but mostly I have no clue who these guys are.

How good, generally, are these foreigners playing in Mexico? How many are national team players in their native countries? Were any in the World Cup? Are a lot of them old or young? How much $ do they make?

21. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    asdf

find this thread fascinating.

Puro Futbol, Pura Vida :) fOOTBALL IS ALLWAYS FASCINATING

I'm a US fan and don't follow MFL too much. I recognize a few names on the list, but mostly I have no clue who these guys are.

No TV station passes a Game of the week but there are various Highlight shows that can be Informative, i belive FSW shows the Mexican League with English Commentators.

How good, generally, are these foreigners playing in Mexico?

Well depends on each person. I would say that most foreigners in the MFL are of good Quality.

How many are national team players in their native countries?

The majority of them play for their National Teams, except for the Brazilians and Argentines. Besides those teams all of Conmebol is included..

Were any in the World Cup? Are a lot of them old or young? How much $ do they make?

Four Paraguayans, three Ecuadorians, and One Uruguayan. The Colombians (3) and Chileans (3) didnt Qualify :(

The Top footballers in Mexico make around 2M a year..

22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i can only speak for peru's players in mexico

reynoso from necaxa former peruvian captain i think he is about 34

palacios from tecos current peruvian captain he is 30

maestri from san luis has been in peru's starting lineup for 7 years he is 29

23. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    By the way I think the lack of Americans in MFL is also partially attributable to a lack of desire of American players to play in Mexico.

Players either want to (or have to) stay in MLS or else they chase the $/glamor of the big European leagues. Clearly MFL is a good league, roughly on par with MLS, and I'm sure you could convince me it's better. And the pay is good. But the US is an introverted society so the demand and attraction to playing overseas has to be substantial and MFL doesn't provide that.

24. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    The majority of them play for their National Teams, except for the Brazilians and Argentines. Besides those teams all of Conmebol is included..

Four Paraguayans, three Ecuadorians, and One Uruguayan. The Colombians (3) and Chileans (3) didnt Qualify

The Top footballers in Mexico make around 2M a year..

------------------

This is all pretty impressive. For some reason I have just never gotten into MFL. It's on about 5 different networks I get (Univision, Telemundo, Azteca, Telefutura, FSW ... I think its on all of those). The passion is there and the stadia look good - or at least fun - on TV.

For me, part of my lack of attraction to MFL is that while the quality of play is high, the style of play is brutal. It seems like there is a lot of hacking and diving and its very chippy.

25. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    asdf

For me, part of my lack of attraction to MFL is that while the quality of play is high, the style of play is brutal. It seems like there is a lot of hacking and diving and its very chippy.

Depends the Game that You watch. There are allways up to four Clubs fighting the Relegation table, so matches against these teams will be the most brutal.

The Derbys are also Important so these games are played with a lot of passion, they can be hard to get into if one is not to familiar with the Squads.

Since most Clubs in the MFL are evenly matched the play off race ends up lasting untill the last games of the season.

That said, there are certains games to watch that allways prove to be entertaining. Cruz Azul, Toluca, Atlas, Pumas and Santos are good game. Any match up between these Clubs wont dissapoint.