Commissioner Garber's State of the League

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Sicilia, Nov 17, 2010.

1. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a joke????

2. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmmm....

NO

3. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Well, in that case, here's your answer: people living in southern NJ are in the Philly region/market. Their local media cover the Philly teams so people living there are more likely to follow the teams covered by their region's tv, radio, newspapers, etc.

In other words, for much of NJ residents, the Red Bulls, Giants, Jets, Nets & Devils are off their radar as they follow the teams local to them without regard for state lines.

Regional (/market) identity is more relevant than state identity when it comes to US sports franchises. And that's why teams playing in northern New Jersey are New York sports teams.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    "A rose by any name would smell as sweet." Or as sour -- 15 years without a championship. Still, I love the beggars.

The name does not bother me. I am of the rare and wonderful 1% you dismiss with apparant scorn. I still support RB after moving to FL -- watch every match I can -- and I envy your being able to worship at the Holy Ground (aka Red Bull Arena). Name I would prefer: Red Bull Metro, especially if a "real" NY team barges into MLS -- Cosmos or whatever -- with a stadium in Queens. But the wee man in Austria will not give up the NY moniker; it cost too much to buy it, and he wants the NY brand stuck to his products (drink and team).

I can see New Yorkers split over the teams. From where I lived in Manhattan, RBA is only about 15 minutes away on the PATH. For those in Queens and L.I. the new location is a clear ad practical choice.

But really, what is ever clear and practical when you are a fan?

5. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The name does not bother me in the slightest. I guess I'm also part of the 1%.

I'm a rational thinker and have a lot of love for an ownership group that built a 250 million dollar stadium and has put Thierry Herny and Rafa Marquez in my team's starting lineup.

I also don't think the name is going to matter long term: witness the 50% attendance increase this year.

If you think we (Red Bulls fans) won't admit the name is a problem, then jaded metrostars fans won't admit they're unreasonably critical of Red Bull ownership.

6. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are unreasonably critical of the name.

I started supporting the club when they were named RB.

I used to only watch EPL, but got fed up with watching football on TV and needed live football. At this time, the RB had just started RB arena (i always wanted to go to Metro at GS, but couldnt be ********ed driving from LI to GS, although I did attend quite a few.

So with the 2 hour train ride, long but at least I could drink and not drive, I started going.

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wrong.

I criticize RBNY when they deserve to be criticized. And there is plenty to be critical of. The only thing they have gotten right is the stadium

Just as we savaged Nick Sack, Guppy, Bora, Stillitano, Lalas and the rest of the idiots running the franchise pre buyout.

We are now the undisputed least successful franchise in MLS history and it was a joint effort that everyone involved with the team from start to finish can bask in.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seriously can't be this clueless. It's impossible.

9. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAq9Y-m8_uk"]YouTube - NO[/ame]