Alert: Commissioner Don Garber to Discuss MLS Playoffs and League's Future on Fox Football Fone-In‎

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by soccermaul, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRebellion

TheRebellion Member

Oct 1, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    DCUdiplomat96 biiter pill to swallow when your team sucked this year. You hate the sport if you didn't like the houston v. seattle game. RSL making the 8th spot, FC Dallas just wishing they could have turned it on 8 and a half games ago, colorado was without oxygen the last six weeks and crashed and burned down the slope for a chance at glory, the jeckyl and hyde club of new york or new jersey showed up on a shitty ass day to kick torontos ass out of any chance at dethroning the crew. I ask you DCU do you love the game?

2. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ofcourse I love the game, But I always expect Better!!! needs more excitement.. there are certain parts of the game of soccer that takes alot away.... and the way mLS is marketing it dosnt help, it doesnt have the american feel like it once had...They are not growing the Game they just trying to cater to more traditional soccer people, the game is not evolving, look at the old Nasl those guys knew what they was doing when it came to showmanship on the field and off.... of course they had there bad, but Americanizing the game made since.

DCU has sucked the last three yrs maybe four, lets say sucked and choked!
    Thursdays nights game at seattle didnt suck game play wise. why Houston didnt win the West???? they have More wins than LA????? last time i checked Houston had 13 wins and LA 12 so WTF???!!!! and for the Other Eurosnobs yall just dont get it, you might as well say the whole playoff field is mediocre.. you have your best 8 in the league, we are in the next phase of the season called the post season you know or maybe you dont in the playoffs you win or go home.. plus chasing for playoff spots is 10x more exciting than stuggling in the reg zone all "season". Because once your in the MLS Playoffs, you are in!!! period. It means you better step up SS winner or get choked.. it gives hop for the underdogs, so it balanced out it gives life...

Today in the next 20 or so minute my arsenal is playing spurs I hope the game aint as dissapointing as the last arsenal game with west ham 2-2.

3. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I don't want American feel. That failed and MLS realized that.

I want genuine football feel.
    Those are MLS primary marketing target and that's what MLS is trying to achive.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its been so long I forgot what he said in the interview.....:confused:...what did Gerber say again? :)

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was doing alot better when the first started than now... it allowed a open audience... now its just for euro snobs, im just glad they still have conferences and the MLS Cup playoffs , hopefully its still a american sports league in 5 or 10 yrs.

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psst, in they have won two Supporter's Shields and a US Open Cup in that time. I'm not happy with the overall body of work, but to say they have "sucked the last three years, maybe four" is just silly.

7. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mexican futbol league has playoffs, too. Having playoffs doen't make it american or unamerican. Well after all, Mexico is part of America.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2010 - World Cup to schedule around
    2011 - Gold Cup to schedule around
    2012 - 8 WCQ's to schedule around
    2013 - 10 WCQ's AND Gold Cup to schedule around

They never get those dates "back" they just move around to a different part of the schedule

9. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see WE (DCU) has missed the playoffs the last two seasons, and before that lost out on the first round and semifinals of the playoffs.... those SS yrs are chokes cause we was heavily favored to win the Championship.... so yes i stand correct as usual DCU sucked and choked...

10. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last time I checked Mexico and canada are not part of the United States they just neighbors.....

11. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    I think he meant America as in the continent not the United States of America.

12. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You have short memory. You said 'american sports'. Last time I checked Mexico is part of America. And again yes, Mexican futbol league has playoffs.

Also, many European leagues have playoffs for various purposes, qualifications for international competitions like CCL, Europa League, also for promotion and relegation playoffs.

13. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    DCU was Champion of US (winning USOC in 2008) up until a couple of months ago when we lost to Seattle.

Also, SS is a major trophy.

You get qualified for CCL by both of the accomplishments.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, the only place I've ever seen the American/North American discussion is in internet soccer forums. The rest of the world seems to be a peace with it, why do soccer fans have such an issue with it?

15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It just fit nicely with my point.

16. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when most people are talkin about American sports they are talking about what usually goes on in the USA.....

17. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the SS is not a major trophy, if it was the league would had made it so, only a eurosnob would think its a major trophy....
    DCU hasnt won a league championship since 2004, the US open Cup is not a league Championship..... neither the SS.... as for the qualifyin for the CCL that CCL doesnt even start til the following season so it wouldnt be important during the time the league playoff race is at stake.... If you thinking chasing some spot is more important that trying to win a championship I guess you must like mediocrity.... Like i said already the SS yrs in 06 and 07 was big choke yrs, and if you are gonna to win the SS you better win the League Championship which that is the MLS Cup.....

18. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning the Supporters shield is Like telling a NFL team that the Conference Championship is More important than the Super Bowl...... Cmon who would think that must be stupid......... Dear DCU and DCU fans wake the F Up....

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    We seem to have spun off from a discussion about a Garber interview to an article-of-faith debate about the merits of playoffs that goes on in 100 threads in MLS: General anyway, and from there to a personal spat on what's "major" and what's "American." This thread has apparently long since petered out.