Comments Unrelated to Football

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Antario2, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me to, I take great care to conserve my garden borders, water them when needed and absolutely hate my borders crossed by immigrating next doors Mexican chiuauas and digging holes in it.

2. Who are they?

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh, there's many of them. But you knew that already

4. What do you consider earmarks of conservatism, that sets it apart from other ideologies?

5. :D

"not saying Charlotte police are slow but in the time it took them to tell difference between a gun and book the Amish have raised 25 barns

— Matt Oswalt (@MattOswaltVA) September 23, 2016"

6. Just one example of institutionalized racism in the police forces:
    https://contexts.org/articles/black-and-blue/
    The introduction to it:
    Black and Blue
    by Shehzad Nadeem, Sudhir Venkatesh, Laurence Ralph, Elliott Currie, and Katherine Beckett | December 7, 2015 | Summer 2015
    Chicago, once pejoratively described as America’s Second City, became the first city to offer monetary reparations to victims of police torture. The brutality, which took place between 1972 and 1991, was macabre: beatings, electric shocks, suffocation, mock executions, and other abuses. Under the direction of Jon Burge, a former detective, police officers exacted false confessions that resulted in long prison sentences, even placing some on death row. The hundred-plus victims were mainly African American, and the violence was baldly racial. A cranked device used to electrocute victims was painted black and called the “n—– box.” Nooses dangled from the South side building’s basement ceiling. The City Council’s use of the word “reparations” thus held a particular meaning.

Police violence is a grotesquely routine feature of American life, as one city after another is roiled by protests following the killing of yet another unarmed black citizen.
    In announcing the agreement, Mayor Rahm Emmanuel spoke of righting wrongs and of bringing “a dark chapter of Chicago’s history to a close.” But it was a belated and reluctant reckoning, a poorly kept secret that the city had spent close to $100 million investigating and settling. “We are gratified, that after so many years of denial and cover-up by the prior administration, the city has acknowledged the harm inflicted by the torture and recognized the needs of the Burge torture survivors and their families by negotiating this historic reparations agreement,” Joey Mogul, an attorney representing many of Burge’s victims, told USA Today. “This legislation is the first of its kind in this country, and its passage and implementation will go a long way to remove the longstanding stain of police torture from the conscience of the city.”

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is what I alluded to earlier when I said its a bad idea for the US enact any type of gun-control. These things almost never happen in Holland, but in the US it happens every day of the week

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^and for every one of these there are probably 10-20 (if not more) accidental deaths of people who did not commit any crimes. It's a trade off that I don't like.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The problem is O14, the genie is already out of the bottle, and you cannot get it back in.

Its similar to the nuclear standoff between Russia and US. Lets say both countries agreed to destroy ALL their nukes, would you trust Russia that they wouldnt hold back a few nukes just in case?? And vice versa??

My point is even if you outlawed all guns, only outlaws would still own guns

10. Ahum, donot you watch "Opsporing Verzocht"? Criminals here do have guns, big ones too thanks to the "Balkan route", but many of the killed were elimination shootings of other criminals.

11. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One of those guys will never burgle again. :thumbsup:

I'm not pro guns (and agree with orange14) but I like it when assholes get whats coming.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But thats like you said almost always one criminal trying to knock of another criminal.
    I'm talking about home invasions where someone charges into a random house with guns drawn looking to rob an innocent person.

It very rarely happens in NL

13. No, I said many of the killed were criminals eliminating other ones. What we see in "Opsporing Verzocht" is the part you talk about, home invasions and armed robbery. Hardly ever a criminal with a gun kills his victim. But what would happen if we all had guns to "defend" ourself. I guess our not so trigger happy criminal would chance into shoot first, see later if the victim has a gun or not. More guns lead to more dead people, most of them victim of a non criminal violent act by someone close to them. The Pastorius vs Steenkamp case isnot an exception, it's the rule, everywhere guns are free.

Orange14 repped this.
  14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I know, I was agreeing with you. Read my post again.

All I know is if I lived in the US I too would want a gun next to my bed.
    People who are against guns just dont buy one then, and let us have our guns if we should choose so.

I also have a "door club" in my house in NL.
    Great investment: https://www.amazon.com/Club-Model-20-Door-Brass/dp/B00007E7LN

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What would you expect from Trump supporters. Ross is a big hedge fund manager who stands to lose lots of money if the carried interest loophole is removed from the tax code. Navarro has been discredited more times than I can count. Trump's economic team is a bunch of Wall Street big wigs and "economists" who still think that supply side economics works.

17. Yup, and Trump has "shoplifted" Dutch investors too in the millions.
    Funny how Republicans/Trumpers point at Hillary for being a Wall Street backed candidate, while they themselves are far worse on that point.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One other thing worth noting is that Trump refuses to release his tax returns. It is likely that such returns will show several years where he did not have to pay taxes or only pay minimal taxes because the majority of his holdings are in real estate where it is quite easy to take large deductions for various things according to the US tax code. I inherited a share in an apartment building several years ago when my mother passed away. It was amazing how various loopholes reduced the taxes on this investment. We ended up selling it as it was in California and we live on the other side of the country. I didn't want to deal with repairs and tenant issues not being in the area. It was a mixed bag as we ended up having to pay significant capital gains taxes on the sale but in the end probably a net plus.

19. That's the nice thing about the Dutch tax system, we havenot got a capital gains tax.
    Do you have also capital loss deduction in the States? For instance, after a stock market crash most people have a portfolio being worth less than they payed for it. Can you deduct that loss?

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Trump has already publicly stated he tries to pay AS LITTLE TAXES AS POSSIBLE through as many loopholes and shelter companies as he can, because he knows politicians spend public tax money like drunken sailors. If I were in his wealthy position I would do exactly the same thing.

So if he's taking advantage of legal loopholes, and you did the same when you sold your mom's condo, then why are you holding that against Trump O14??

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, but it is limited to $3K per year but the excess loss can carry over into subsequent years. I would note that capital gains are taxed at a lower rate. However, for stocks you have to hold them for longer than one year to qualify for the reduced rate. The trouble we had with the apartment building is that California has high state capital gains taxes compared to other states.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't object to what you say about minimizing tax liabilities as everyone tries to do this. The problem is that Trump is skirting the law in a number of ways that are likely to be evident if he releases his tax returns. If he has nothing to hide, then he should proudly release the returns. He has also not been truthful about his foundation or his charitable donations.

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He's not skirting the law. He's not breaking any laws whatsoever.
    If he had he'd be under arrest right now for tax evasion.

He is also under no obligation to release his tax returns. Just because other candidates have done so in the past doesnt mean he automatically has to do so as well.

Besides, even if he does the Left will just spin Trump's tax shelters as tax evasion somehow, and paint him as some horrible capitalist monster, even though the vast majority of Americans also take advantage of tax shelters, or even cheat on their taxes as much as possible