Comments on Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Oct 11, 2003.

1. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: update

They were nice, but of course, there were less than 20 of us, so I doubt they fealt intimidated or worried that we'd get out of hand and destroy the stadium, or whatever excuse security uses. I don't know how they'd react to 4 sections of it...

I should have come back to Chicago with you guys, because I don't want to miss the game tonight... :(

2. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I wonder if security is going to be even worse tonight with Mexico-Uruguay fresh in their minds...

3. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Marcin and Liam: what time are you guys getting to the stadium to set up?

4. I was there at 5 PM and everybody else was late. (Just joking; it was a great night for us.)

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    HAH! I drove in from Des Moines and got there first! :p And yes it was a great night, one that no Fire fan should have skipped.

6. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Soccer Field

The job of covering up the American Football lines --- which was done for the mid-week international game -- was very solid. Except for the yellow lines, the surface looked much like a soccer field yesterday. I was in section 207 (East side), and the sightlines that earn so much praise for pointy ball don't allow fans in the balcony to see the sideline. They've got monitors up there to cover that, though, and one of them had the LA-SJ game on, so the battle for the shield was even more exciting.

7. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The security was much improved last night. They didn't seem to have a bad attitude like the week before. They still won't let people stand at the back of Section 8, so I could not stand and cheeer and stay near my wife and two small children. I think it is a silly rule but if that is all they do to us, that is fine with me.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I think it's great the how the tvs throughout the stadium show the other games in progress. That's really very nice.

9. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    A few things about Monterrey. As my dad and I were walking to the south entrance one of the side guards told us he would let us in for $10. I thought about it for about 2 seconds until I remember that I am a season ticket holder and I really didn't need to do that.

Also, when we were cleaning up after the game was over I thought it was funny that one of the more senior guards (He wore a beige polo instead of those jackets) yelled at a young guard guy for wearing headphones on the job.

Overall they seemed to be about 100% better about Section 8 than last week. They didn't check tickets and they weren't picking fights.

10. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    At the entrance to our section (230 or 231, I think), there was a young woman security guard or stadium staffer in a yellow jacket most of the game. I don't know that she said a word to anyone unless they asked her something.

At half time, she was replaced by a man about 45 years old, African American, who was asking everyone who came in for tickets and telling those leaving that they better bring their tickets with them. Very nice, polite and courteous, but a very different approach. When half-time was over, he left, and she came back.

Among other things, I couldn't really figure why anyone would have wanted to sneak into my crappy seats. The first game, I felt the high-priced seats weren't all that well screened at half-time, and this time, they call in extra muscle to cordon off the $20 seats.

11. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I agree that the Security was much better on the second day. This is a direct result of feedback from Section 8ers through Section 8 representatives through the Fire Staff and to Monterrey.

The only time security had to get involved at all was when some idiot tried to steal a ball that was shot into the section. I'd love one of those balls myself but doing something like that will definately bring the security into the section and create an uncomfortable situation. During those moments most of the section was distracted and the Rapids even scored a goal (not saying that the loss of support during those moments were a contributing factor, but hey you never know). I think it's safe to say if people don't act like idiots there wont be many problems.

Other issues that we have had are also in the process of being addressed. Over time all will be well at Soldier Field as long as we continue to act responsibly, stay organized and in communication with the other entities involved.

Great game on Saturday. This year there are many memories to last a lifetime.

12. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Just to eliviate some confusion, the people in the yellow jackets are stadium ushers. They are completely seperate from the red jacketed Security people. If there are issues with the ushers then there is a different avenue of approach then if there are issues with the security. Just an fyi.

I thought the ushers were much better as well in Game 2.

13. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Question for PW

Why was it that the escalators going to the Stadium Club were running before the game, but after the game we were left to wait for the elevator or take stairs to the Service room below the Cadillac Club?

This was an improvement from the first game when the escalators weren't turne on at all, though.

Also, I figure the reason there was no 50/50 on Saturday was due to the jersey auction, will it be brought back during the playoffs?

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Mirek and I sat at midfield for part of the first half to listen to Section 8 (very faint, and there a couple reasons for that I'll get into later) and no one asked to see our tickets. Most of the game no one asked in Section 8 either except before the game and at halftime.

Seemed strange.

15. It was because almost nobody was singing. In the first half, I was not really leading, someone else was starting the chants and there were not more than 30-40 people singing at one time (I am not underestimating). I am actually amazed, you could hear us.

Marcin

16. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    View from Section 210 is excellent. But when everyone was cheering and jumping, the whole section was shaking.

North garage was easy to get in, but once in, we couldn't find our way to the stadium. Went into doors saying "stairs", only to find nothing in them. We ended up going outside, and in the front entrance.

Old Soldier Field may not have been fancy, but you didn't get lost. I need a map!

17. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does take some time to get your bearings. North Garage does have elevators to stadium but you do have to search for them. There are east side and west side elevators.Once in elevators go to level P3, if you are not already on parking level 3.