Comments on Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Oct 11, 2003.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    After not being able to meet up with Marchin at the tailgate due to traffic problems getting to Soldier Field (4 friggen stand stills, one was on 88) and thus no ticket I met an Ultra outside the turnstiles (once again, there needs to be more) who sold me a 121 ticket and I just crossed the aisle into Section 8.

2. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Oh yeah--I arrived at half-time, due to traffic, and there were still lines 50-people deep at most gates waiting to get in. At halftime. Wondered what was up with that.

3. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Heh heh, I've waiting this long to cool off so now I'll post my thoughts. Basically, I just felt the mood of the night was just kinda ugly.

Riding up to the stadium in a bus I was suprised at how just plain bizzare it looked. I believe at this point they should just bullboze all the remaing parts of the old stadium as they clash too much with the glass/steel hugeness that is the new stadium. I kinda think they desecrated a war monument with that addition. I also agree with marcin when I say I don't give a fark about consession stands and the like. I am a poor college student and can barely scrape together enough money to get to these game so 4$ beers and 4$ brats dont do a lot for me personally.

Things started bad when I went on the parade with Liam and Co. We went to the first gate and were denied entry and told we had to go to gate 10 (because the barcode on my ticket read "refund). I went to gate 10 and they told me to go to gate 0. I went to gate zero and they told me to go to the west end. At the west end they told me to go to gate 10. After pleading my case they finally just ::GASP:: took the ticket physically and let me in the stadium. I didn't get to section 8 until the game had started which I was unhappy about.

My other complaint was the security. I'd like to know what the big problem was. It seemed, based on what I read on the instruction sheet as well as on this board, that section 8 was behaving rather well all things considered. It frustrated me when I saw the leaders of our section being tossed for reasons that didn't seem to make sense.

We NEED NEED NEED some sort of podium to lead the songs/cheers. Section 8 is much larger than at Naperville and there was some BAD phasing going between the front/leaders and the back/drums. This I'm sure can be worked out and I think is the culprit for the lack of vocal power and what have you.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS POST: I do not blame the Fire team (who played excellently), Peter Wilt, the Fire managment, or indivdual members of the security (who I'd wager were "following orders" for all my complaints above. The Fire management has been amazingly sensitive and interested in the needs and opinions of the fans in matters like this. I think many of these problems can be worked out soon and that things will be even better once we get to a stadium of our own.

I came with as big of a heart as I have (so much so that I was too hoarse to speak much on the way home) and will continue to do so until I die no matter where the Fire plays.
    -Karl

4. As I mentioned before, we fulfilled all security and stadium management requirements to the smallest point. They did not agree to the use of the balloons and (quite obviously) smoke bombs or flares. Nobody brought those in. They allowed streamers provided they were not register tape. We got the crepe streamers which were not allowed to be used the day of the game (not counting those few they did not confiscate--instead of 1200 only around 80 were used)--this was an absolute joke. At this point I don't see any reason to meet with these people ever again. They are absolutely aware they can use forceful solutions at any time and it seems that antagonizing us and security is their goal.

Even at the meeting I felt treated as an animal. I learned there that soccer fans are super primitive and any behavior (I quite understood they meant both good and bad) found "in Europe" (I am quoting them here) is not welcomed here at Soldier Field. Let me reiterate that these words came from the stadium management; the security representative was really cool about having us at Soldier Field.

I had good conversations with the security people. We talked like humans (actually I got used to being treated like trash, i.e. worse than animal) and I want you to know that I don't think they added to my frustration the first night there.

The Fire people are almost superhuman. I know I should thank them for being so helpful in trying to organize this re-opener. At some point they even helped to move around these bloody crepe streamers.

Hard Karl you are an awesome man of a big heart and I think all Fire fans actually are.

5. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    I took my sister and dad to the game and got them seats in 111. My sister drove and around 7:40 we were in the parking line just outside the South entrance so I got out and got into section 8. They said they didnt get in their seats until 8:30, although thats prolly cause my dad cant walk too fast :) and they said the dude ahead of them paid for his parking ALL IN COINS!!! I dont even want to know the hassle it is down there for Bears games.

The first question one of my friends asked me about the new SF was "how was the food and concessions??" He found it strange that i didnt even bother with any of that.

Well I expected more of the same intolerance by the security but at least some of the individial people didnt seem to be all that bad. But yeah overall they just seem pretty dense. I would like to say how much I appreciate all of you who meet with them and try to work with them on making Section 8 fun for the rest of us. im sure what we are allowed to get away with is cause of you guys...thanks!

6. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Some very good posts here. I agree with what Marcin says. I really hope we get our own stadium and that the Fire management opens up more than 2 sections for Section 8, instead of the same old problem where Section 8 often sells out and hard core fans can't "sneak" in. You should not have to sneak in if you want to buy a ticket and be a loud supporter.
    But the real problem is the SECURITY. From the minute we arrived they Monterrey Security was so hostile to us and the people around us. I was there with my wife and 2 tiny daughters so my wife asked if we could "sit" at the row of "handicapped" seats at the back of Section 8. Monterrey was as ugly as hell, but finally let us do it. I saw incident after incident where the glowering Monterrey "security" tried to pick fights with the fans. Two young guys in Fire jerseys had bought beers and wandered over to stand next to us. The Monterrey guy wanted to see their tickets and they said they were just looking at the field. The jerk radioed for reinforcements (like they needed any more cops) put his face in front of one of them, and said in the most threatening tone: "You got a problem with this?" The guys took off, bewildered at the arrogance and hostility.
    I saw the same thing all night. They couldn't stand here, they could stand behind an imaginary line 5 feet back. A black guy in a yelllow jacket (not Monterrey) was fine. He commanded respect, kept the lane clear, and let us scream our lungs out.

7. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I do a little bit of everything in my law practice, and I occasionally handle misdemeanor arrests. I am always amazed how many of the cases are trumped up bogus incidents involving "security" officers. It is pretty obvious to me (as well as real police in the Chicago Police Department, and some of the State's Attorneys I do plea negotiations with) that most of these cases do not merit any sort of sanction.
    In my humble opinion, many security guards at sports events and rock concerts churn the file by making totally unjustified charges so they get more billable time. The case gets continued and continued, and they get paid for every hour they show up and sit through the long court call.
    But is worse than that. Some of these security companies seem to be bounty hunters. If they don't arrest anybody or toss them out they can't justify to management the outrageous number of security guards that they have on the payroll. The more poor souls they nab the more guards are "needed". The common perception that soccer fans in the U.S. are violent feeds this feeding frenzy. The meter is running. In the wake of September 11 everything is security no matter how safe the situation is. I don't if Monterrey Security falls into this category after one event, but stay tuned.
    Section 8 is the safest place in Chicago. Do you you really think I would bring an 8 week old child into a place with any danger?
    By the way, this is not just the sour grapes of a hard core fan. One of my wife's best friends is a legal secretary at a small claw firm. One of the partners is a soccer fan and they planned a firm outing. They won't be doing that ever again. Monterrey Security was all over them from the minute they sat down, bugging them about every little thing and barking at them in the same insulting tone they used with me. Mayor Daley may have really figured out how to get rid of us. Hire Alderman Solis's security firm. That will really keep attendance down!
    Just my opinions

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What's worked for us in DC is that DC United acutally brings in our toilet paper, confetti and banners into the stadium for us. We just send a couple of people along for the ride. Perhaps the Fire Front Office will be willing to work out a similar arrangement.

Sachin

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    How many seats are there in Section 8? How many people on average want to be in Section 8? How many Ultras, BarnBurners, floaters, etc. have season tickets there?

Marcin, you always seem to have lots of tickets in Section 8. How do you get them?

10. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there can be more than 1500 seats combined in sections 122 and 123 which is now the official section 8.

11. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT A NIGHTMARE, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PISSED ALSO.
    I HOPE PETER WILT CAN TALK WITH SECURITY,THERE IS NO REASON FOR THEM TO GO OUT OF THERE WAY TO HASTLE YOU GUYS.

12. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know that despite the reputation of Batman, the people of Gotham City still worried whenever trouble lurked near. The same with Metropolis and Superman (except he was a loser)... the people were always in a panic.

so it´s reasonable to think that people will now be worried that security has taken over and will forever hassle the fans.... but as history (and by history I mean DC comics) has shown time and again.... there´s no need to worry... we have Peter Wilt on the case.

13. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hate it. Let's go back to Naperville.

The Fireworks were pretty good.

14. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with many of the troubled voices here. Many of the difficulties (Sect. 8 size, getting streamers into the stadium, etc.) sound like opening night glitches that can be addressed over time.

I also admit I was a bit disappointed that the sound from Sect. 8 did not carry down to the other end of the stadium where I was. But, that wasn't all bad as the overall sound within the stadium was very good.

I was there with a number of people who'd only been to Naperville or never been to an MLS match. The reaction was overwhelming. Comments like, "you'd told us that Naperville was nothing like here and I didn't understand until tonight. . .," "Wow!," or "the kids would love this - players jumping up and down all the time, the constant motion, the loud noise, this is great!"

I also understand Marcin's comments about the seats. I found them very comfortable to sit in, however, in an area like Sect. 8 - they would appear to be a bit flimsy for standing. The only solution to that is our own stadium with platforms or bleachers in that area. However, remember - the vast majority of us are sideline sitters. I did my time as an endzone person with the Sting and now that I can afford a sideline seat - I actually like to see the entire match. That's not a terrible thing - to see the game!

Overall, I was very pleased. I liked the touches like the hammered steel trim that someone complained about - nice modern touch. I think this is going to be a great facility. However, it is a multiuse facility. Only a SSS will even have the potential to address every problem and even then, human nature being what it is - we'll all find things to bitch about.

From the perspective of fan comfort, this is a good stadium and from the angle of growing the sport - I have to say it was an overwhelming success if the others in my group were any indication.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "I am a poor college student and can barely scrape together enough money to get to these game so 4$ beers and 4$ brats dont do a lot for me personally..."

Try $6 Bud Lights or $7 Guinness at Gillette Stadium.

Y'all guys need your own stadium but quick.

The Magpie

16. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    I am still pissed from the game. I hope the stadium management goes to hell along with most of the security. Nothing but *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# the whole night. Mirek got kicked out by a bitter old security who then gave Mirek the finger and smiled when other security people started to take him out. The fire office should of had 4 sections for us, not two. Peter Wilt, if you read this please try to help us with these issues.

17. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    And another thing, if security keeps acting like this it will only get worse for them and us. If they think pushing us around will make us fear them or something like that they will find out the hard way.

18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    If you can't join 'em, beat 'em.

If security becomes or continues to be a problem everyone needs to work together and remember a few things.

One, the threat of violence is an assault in Illinois. That means when the security guard says "I'm gonna kick your ass," in the eyes of the court he's committed an assault no different than if he punched you in the face.

Two, everyone bring a cell phone and remember the number 911.

If 911 gets 4-5 calls about someone (don't mention it's a security guard) threatening violence they'll send in the troops. When 4-5 eye witnesses peg the security guard the situation will be diffused. Press charges for all I care, but what's important is that if this happens a few times things will have to change. And the change won't be telling Section 8 they can't call 911. Ultimately security will rotate the pricks away from Section 8. That's what we want.

Obviously if 15 year olds are calling the cops, they'll get in trouble. But if someone with some credibility calls (that being someone over the age of 35 or 40) then the police will basically have to listen.

If we can't deal with security then we shouldn't deal with security. Don't antagonize them, don't touch them, don't threaten them. Go over their heads.

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    What we DONT need is for an unnecessary escalation of hostile attitudes on both sides. But we shouldn't just take things either. There needs to be additional dialog between the sides. Fire organization working on our behalf would of course help. Otherwise it's already a lost cause and will just get worse. If talks don't help then we just have to do what we do and they will do what they do. Ultimately SF can win out, it's their place.

20. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I don't know what all this negativeness is about. I thought Soldier Field was freaking awesome!!

Great win. Great Stadium.

The seats are much closer from Naperville. Soldier Field was awesome. I can't wait til next Saturday! WOOO!

21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Dialogue is good. I'm not sure how much the Fire will be able to help. Obviously, they do everything they can, but they're stuck with the security as much as we are.

Don't escalate problems, call in an 'impartial' third party.

22. Fuhrer

Fuhrer New Member

May 25, 2003
    Elmwood Park, IL
    I want the old soldier field stadium back. :(

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh shut up. The old soldier field was a dump.

24. Fuhrer

Fuhrer New Member

May 25, 2003
    Elmwood Park, IL
    I'm talking about the design, I know it was a dump. But I liked the simple design.

25. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    regarding the scurity issue. i for one never understood this readiness to "sit down and talk" with them. they're a bunch of monkeys in uniforms, and in some instances worse, off duty filth. they have no clue about tifo-type support. they've never experienced it. i think the opposite approach is more approriate. take things so far, they'll end up thinking flares are a compromise. at the end of the day there are many of us, and a few of them. so what if now and then someone gets plucked. nothing that's ever been done in old section 8 could be considered criminal, nor should anything of that sort be tolerated. we've created a great atmosphere, and nobody has EVER been hurt as a result of it. they're just trying to show who's "boss" now, early on. i think everyone here can agree last friday everyone was on their best behaviour, and the miserable c*nts were still harassing people. their approach never worked at OSF, and i doubt it will ever in the new one. fack'em.