Comments on "Post of the Week"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always a pleasure to argue with you Dan. congrat's on the inaugural post of the week.

By the way it would be Roman not ferret-nosed M- F'r. I'm disappointed you couldn't argue the point without cursing me out.

Please refresh my short term memory loss. Once you get past 40 these things happen.

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Color me chastened. That "whoosh" you heard, by the way, was the joke sailing over your head like a Sputnik.

Selling out is COOL!
    - Eric Cartman

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    McCracken, you sourpuss. Did you strain yer back getting your ice fishing shed ready for the season?

4. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I've just finished reading some of the arguments on this board regarding alternating left and right winners. How revolting!

Everyone knows all the best professors are timid woosey little leftists, and all the best cockfighters and bearbaiters are right wingers.

As Morrissey said: Some girls are better than others, and some girl's mothers are better than other girl's mothers.

And if you'd like to marry me I'll buy the ring...

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I though Morrissey said: "Some girls are bigger than others, and some girl's mothers are bigger than other girl's mothers."

Oh well...

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm a practicing Catholic. I actually had to receive absolution for awarding Dan's post. I make these sacrifices for the benefit of ALL BigSoccer politics postors: left wing and right wing alike.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I can never understand that mangled limey talk...

mind the gap

9. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Holy mother of christ, what a bunch of whiners!

This is the POLITICS board, folks -- i.e. stark raving OPINIONS. You want rational discussions? Go to the USA Mens News and Analysis Board. (Oh, I do crack myself up.)

10. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

So there's now a Rivalries board in Politics?

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Actually, in retrospective, the post should have been nominated for the "I've got a big hole in my soul and I'm going straight to hell Religious Rant" board, but that point has already been made.

I've always hated Paul's Epistles, but lately I've been reading them pretty closely, and they really are amazingly liberating. If you can get past some of his little (hateful) gems, he is basically saying that you can live your life now, and stop worrying about silly little literal laws. Now I know many of you religious types may have known this for a long time, but I always looked at the negative, when in reality, this big, liberating positive was staring me in the face.

For the last few thousand years man has been trying to somehow establish some sort of explanation for existence,truth and life. I think man always comes up a bit short.

The Bible, and Christianity, is a goddamn good college try -- better than most, and thankfully, steeped in a cultural tradition that at least gives us the tools to try to make sense of it. There is tons in it that is really, really mistaken.

I haven't lived enough or studied enough to completely discount it. And I'd wager no one here has either.

12. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
  13. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Actually, I forgot to add the childish and petty doctrine of "hell" to my list of Biblical statements to route to File 13.

Does everyone who doesn't believe precisely what you believe had a big hole in their soul? I believe that statement says more about you than me.

If you're a Gentile Christian who wanted to eat pork and keep your foreskin, maybe.

Those hateful little gems are precisely the point. And the message of Paul was not to stop worrying about silly literal laws, but to change the silly literal laws that are followed.

I didn't completely discount it, either. However, I cheerfully discount Paul's attempt to turn the ethical teachings of Jesus into another pagan mystery religion.

14. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

15. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Am I the only one that sees the irony?