Comments on "Post of the Week"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Aug 30, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now this forum will be like a bad NBA game, nobody playing to win, just trying to get on SportsCenter.

2. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    I vote for the above post.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post of the Week

I second the motion.

4. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I'd like to nominate all of my posts in this forum.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Playa hatas.

6. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    So, in other words, this thread will be Dan Loney's personal bitch. At least I won't have to slog through most of the crap that Dan is responding to in order to get to his posts...

7. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Post of the Week

All those in favor say "Aye"

"Aye"

Opposed?

(silence)

Motion carries!

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Accepting the award for "Post of the Week" is about as rewarding as Michael Jackson accepting the "Artist of the Millenium" award. Basically, the winner of the award must be a Gringo Tex slappy.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nominate this to be next weeks p.o.t.w!

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I nominate the previous post as "Post of the Weak".

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Congrats to Loney.

Even though there is nothing more pathetic than a sourpuss Californian bound straight for eternal damnation...

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    oman, stop being such a butt kisser. Even you should know better than to put the words "Californian" and "straight" in the same sentence.

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And, I nominate all your posts as "Post of the Geek".

14. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I suppose this isn't the time to serialize my book "Hey, Allah: Bring It, Bitch!"

15. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    And exactly how rewarding is claiming the Post of the Week award is rigged? Because you're making it look, like, totally awesome!

I've won more meaningless awards than you've had hot dinners, McCracken, and don't you forget it.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I've won more awards than you've had 11 year old girls in Nurse uniforms. Or something.

Look, Gringo-Tex wants to pick his favorite "Leftist rant of the Week" award and make a sticky about it and whatever, fine with me. I think it's just darling.

Winning the "Gringo-Tex Journalism Award" is similar to winning the "Jeffrey Dahmer Bakeoff". Mail me the cetificate, 'cause whenever the ceremony is, I'm busy that night.

His judgement as to what is worthy is, well, just a tad suspect. It's a little like asking asking Louis Farrakhan to judge the Miss America pageant.

Somehow the Jewish girls just aren't going to be in the running.

In fact, why don't we ditch the name "Politics" Forum and just call it "Gringo-Tex's Private Little Corner of BigSoccer". Bet THAT will bring in the rubes.

I'm getting all verklept here, just thinking about it.

Goodbye

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be wise to get rid of the post of the week. I see a lot of negative debate if the choices are skewed based on Gringo Tex's world view.

Personally, as a choice, it saw suspect. The post itself is extremely offensive to those that believe in God and practice any of the established Christian faiths. That and I find Looneys abrasive style of writing in appropriate for this forum. It's appropo for rivalries, but here it's shrill. I wonder if Dan would have the guts in real life to talk smack to his co-workers the way he does on this board. You can't even have a difference of opinion with him without his counterpoint dripping with contempt and venon.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's barbeque sauce, not contempt and venom.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be sure to leave me off the A list for your next barbeque.

:D

20. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "Choices"? Look, Bill and Alberto, don't make me call in Captain Sample Size on the hotline, because so far we're talking about exactly uno pick so far.

I realize that while the talent pool on the right wing might leave a little something to be desired, the alternative is affirmative action for conservatives so they get their quota of Posts of the Week.

Or, I guess I can make the occasional token conservative post just so you guys don't look absolutely helpless. I'll work on a funny pro-Israel post this week, how's that?

I don't even think Gringo Tex and Dante care as much about the Post of the Week as the people complaining about it. I say absolutely keep it, since it seems to bug people.

Ich bin ein scoreboard.

I will debate that post point by freaking point if you like.

I'm supposed to take writing advice from a guy whose store of wit sputters and flops once the "Looney" card is played? Let me get back to you on that, P.G. Wodehouse.

This is a remarkably stupid complaint, that boils down to "Why can't Dan be as boring on the Politics forum as I am in my professional life?"

Tell you what, I'll bring up the topic of classical paganism with the copy machine guy tomorrow, how would that be?

No, YOU can't have a difference of opinion with me without my counterpoint dripping with contempt and venom. My advice to you is, "Don't hold contemptible opinions."

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Why not just alternate? One week have someone choose a left post of the week, and the next week have it be from the right? Frankly, I think the concept is a good one, because it brings good (depending on your viewpoint on that particular week) posts to the forefront. When casual Politics readers scan through, they would see the post, and a link to the thread/page it was on and it might get more, and most importantly new voices into some of the conversations.

JMac

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, I don't understand why someone chooses to be obnoxious instead of arguing the points without the vitrol. Dan, you have a lot in common with Brahms. You lack tact.

There is a difference, you clearly know it. Yet you choose to be abrasive hiding behind your keyboard. You remind me of the kids in school who were Mr. Know it all wise guy. It does get you very far in life.

What did you think that you could make a completely unsubstantiated post, purely your opinion, and we would all be oohing and ahing over you wit?

Why don't you go post Dan's practical guide to theology, how the Bible is a crock of garbage. As if you weren;t trolling for a response. :rolleyes:

You lost me there Danny boy. Maybe that's the current rage in LA, but not here on the East Coast. Just would the copy machine guy have to do with this subject. Does he practice Santeria, Voodoo, or African ancestor worship?

Now this is comedy. Your post is just an opinion. You have a right to it however, wrong it may be. :D Just as I have a right to an opinion and I don't need your smug, arrogant, I know better than the rest of the world attitude, when you clearly don't.

Thanks, for proving my point.

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Oh come on now! Poor Dan is already facing an afterlife of eternal punishment and hellfire, right? Can't you at least let him enjoy his award while he's still here on earth?

24. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I do NOT lack tact, you ferret-nosed motherf**cker!

Odd. You remind me of the sort of person who obsesses on the personalities of the kids he went to school with.

No, I was hoping against hope that it would inspire a feud that people would carry across multiple threads. A vain and foolish hope, I know, but I have to have my dreams.

Oh, I see. Because I don't clear my opinions with Alberto before posting, I must suffer your wrath.

Okay, I'm over it.

"Danny boy"? Alberto, why can't you argue the points with tact, instead of resorting to vitriol?

You'd know what the copy machine guy had to do with the subject, if you were able to think all the way back to your previous post. I was unaware you were not burdened with the curse of a short-term memory.

Wait, you're sure about this? Gosh, thanks!

"Smug, arrogant, I know better than the rest of the world attitude"? Alberto, why can't you argue the points with tact, instead of resorting to vitriol?

You had a point?

25. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm a little disappointed that Loney has seen fit to make himself the corporate poster boy. I always saw him as sort of a rebel who shied away from accolades and endorsements from moderators. I guess I was mistaken about him. Alas, he's just another Suit trying to climb the corporate ladder. He's probably going to stop getting his hair cut at BoRics and start wearing the latest fashions from Christophe.