Coming to New York

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by squarewheelbike, Sep 10, 2003.

1. squarewheelbike

squarewheelbike New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Eastern England
    Greetings, one Middlesbrough fan heading over from England for a week in October. Every intention of coming to see Metrostars v Dallas burn. One or two requests:
    1, Where's the best place to sit in the stadium?
    2, Any good tips for a reasonably priced hotel with decent access?
    3, Where can I find a good bar that will show the England/Turkey game?
    4, Any recommendations while I'm there?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    1. Best place to sit in the stadium: All of the seats are good, but if you are looking for family type sections the cheaper seats in sections like 109 are fine, and you can likely get tickets in the first 5-10 rows where you are right on the action. The supporters club sits in 101, behind the goal.

2. Hotels: For NYC, there are tons of hotels and tons of deals, but if you go to them directly you will get hosed. Try some travel web sites and search around, you should be able to get a good deal, and anywhere in Manhattan (South of 96th street on the east side, south of ~ 110th on the west side) will be near public transportation and in a good area.

3. The majority of the brits hang out at Nevada Smith's, 11th and 3rd ave. It gets packed though, so get there early and be prepared to pay a cover to get in (for big matches like that). The are other bars around that will show it though, likely 10 or more in Manhattan will have the game on. Smith's is the main hangout though; at times, if it wasn't for the cold beer you'd forget you're in America.

On recommendations, there are tons of books but the best idea is to just hop on a subway and get around the city to see the neighborhoods. Upper west side, chinatown, central park, etc. Try to take in the Metropolitan Museum if you can, it's one of the best on the planet. Seeing Times square is nice, but all of the tourists go there, which means that all of the people who scam tourists and take their cameras go there, so just be on the lookout.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I just walked over the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time this weekend -- it was crowded but cool. Supposedly there is a famous ice cream place on the Brooklyn side (and a pizza place) if you need an excuse to cross.

4. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
  5. ibcnu424

ibcnu424 New Member

Sep 9, 2003

Just ask for best available seats, the games are never sold out and you will be able to get a seat at the center line. I personally like to sit in the mezzanine, beacuse i like to see the game from a little higher view, you get to see more of the field that way.

6. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Re: Re: Coming to New York

I don't know about the ice cream place, but I think the pizza place is Patsy's. If you're going to walk the bridge, bring a camera, the views of the river and lower Manhattan are spectacular.

7. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
  8. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Coming to New York

Grimaldi's. And yeah, walking across the bridge is great.

9. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Re: Re: Only charge for Setanta matches

Re: Re: Only charge for Setanta matches

10. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Other EPL friendly pubs

MANHATTAN

P.D. O'Hurley's - 174 W74th St. 212 873 6317 *

Eight Mile Creek - 240 Mulberry St. 212 431 4635 *

Nevada Smith's - 74 3rd Ave 212 982 2591 *

Scratcher - 209 E5th St 212 477 0030

McCormack's -365 3rd Ave 212 683 0911 *

Patrick Kavanagh's - 33rd & 3rd 212 889 4304 *

Clancy's - 52nd & 2nd 212 755 8383 *

Jameson's - 52nd & 2nd 212 980 4465

Kinsale - 1672 3rd Ave. 212 348 4370 *

St. Dymphna's - 118 St. Marks Pl 212 254 6636 *

Dewey's Flat Iron - 210 5th Ave 212 685 7781

Becky's - 1156 1st Ave 212 317 8929 *

FIddlesticks - 56 Greenwich Ave 212 463 0516 *

Smithfield - 115 Essex St. 212 475 9997

Fitzgerald's- 3rd Ave & 25th 212 726 0008

Tir na nOg - 8th Ave (btwn 33 &34) 212 630 0249 *

Manchester Pub - 920 Second Ave. 212 223 7484

Dempsey's Pub - 61 Second Ave 212 388 0662

NEW JERSEY

Mulligan's 159 1st St Hoboken 201 876 4101 *

BROOKLYN

Sweetwater Tavern - 105 N6th St. 718 963 0608

Iona - 1800 Grand St 718-384-5008

Pencil Factory - 142 Franklin St. 718 609 5858

QUEENS

Starting Gate 59 - 10 Woodside Av 718 429 9269 *

11. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
  12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Nassau County - The Old Shilling, corner of Lakeville Road and Hillside Avenue.

Game will be $20 anywhere you go. Unless the Pub is will to cover the Setanta cost for you.... HA!

13. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Only charge for Setanta matches

That has to do what with what again?

England v Turkey is not an EPL match. It is on setanta (as your link showed), and they will likely charge for it.

Someone can always call the bar to confirm. I like it, it's a nice place. But if I was going I'd bring $ 20 with me, that was all I was saying.

14. squarewheelbike

Sep 10, 2003
    Eastern England
    Big thanks and keep it coming. Definately be walking the Bridge with several cameras. See you at the Dallas game, just hope Jaime Moreno's playing.

15. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to happen. Jaime recently had back surgery to repair a ruptured disc. He's done for the year. He never really did much this year. The Metros medical staff must not require physicals before signing players.

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Moreno's out for the season. Either way, he hasn't been playing very well. Expect to see American football lines on the field.

17. squarewheelbike

Sep 10, 2003
    Eastern England
    Never mind, who should I keep an eye out for during the game?

18. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Keep an eye on:

Johnny Walker in goal
    Clint Mathis on top
    Amado Guevara, Ricardo Clark in Midfield
    Eddie Pope, Steve Jolley, center defense

... and the kids: MIke Magee and Eddie Gaven.

John Wolyniek is worth watching just to see a guy go 110% the whole game.

-- and Richie Williams, the legendary ABMOD
    (Ankle Biting Munchkin Of Death).

20. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Pretty much agree with Brownswan's list of watchables.

Johnny Walker in goal. The name is enough to make you want to watch him. He's the player we picked up to replace Tim Howard (who just moved to Manchester United). Pleasent surprise for us actually. We really haven't missed Tim to much (so far).

Clint Mathis, striker. At one time the most dangerous attacking US player, but then a bunch of injuries (including a torn ACL) has had him struggling for the past couple of years. He seems to be getting back some of his old form. The past few matches he's been great, and we hope it continues.

Amado Guevara is our playmaker. He's from the Honduran nat. team. Very skillful with the ball. Fun player to watch.

Ricardo Clark is a talented Midfielder who's play has been compared to a young Patrick Viera. He's young right now (18 years old), but has shown very good skill and composure this year (his first as a pro).

Eddie Pope has been the US's best defensive player for years. A little injury prone, but when he's been healthy, he is our best. Jolley is not at the same level as Pope, but he and Pope work very well together.

As for the (other) kids, Mike Magee is a 18 year old forward, and Eddie Gaven is a 16 year old forward/mid. They both bring a lot of energy to the field.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

One thing you should know. The stadium is outside of the city, so if you're going to a game, you'll have to take a bus out there from Port Authority. Its a large, ugly building located on 8th Ave between 40 and 42 street (1 block west of Times Square). Round trip tickets must be purchased at a ticket window inside ($7.00 roundtrip) before you can board a bus. Check what gate the bus is leaving from when you buy your ticket.

Once again, hope you enjoy your stay. chris...

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Lisi. He's the player Juan Sebastian Veron wants to be.

#8, central midfielder, he runs the show. No matter what my compatriots on this board may think. ;)

22. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Kenny Arena. He's the US national team's coach (gaffer) Bruce Arena's son. If he happens to get in your way, just fake right and you can get around him to the left.

23. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricardo Clark is 20.

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Re: Re: Coming to New York

Yeah. Right. We like to be humorous 'round here.

I'd mention the right back, Craig Ziadie in the same breath. Both were big surprises early in the season.
    They seemed to go into a mid-term slump. Let's hope they bounce back.