Coming in 2016: New York City Football Club

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Santista1962, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    If this holds, New York will become the first city in the US to have three big teams (like in Sao Paulo). The city has the population and interest to make it four.

kiro2317 repped this.
  2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the first two ?

3. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Red Bulls and Cosmos (the latter will come).

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swing and a miss.

Red Bulls are in NJ ... and the Cosmos (current iteration) aren't big, at all.

It's called a joke.

kiro2317 repped this.
  5. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    The club is still representative of New York City. Where its home ground is doesn't matter. And once the other two clubs are established, the three will focus more on boroughs, neighborhoods and districts.

For example, Corinthians, the world champions, are based off the neighborhood of Tatuape in Sao Paulo. But their ground is currently in Paceambu and, soon, it will be in Itaquera.

West Ham United is another example. They are based off Upton Park. But their new Olympic Stadium is in Stratford.

In short, where your ground is has no bearing as to who you represent. A lot of times, the venue wouldn't even be within city limits because of a lack of space, city ordinances, etc. That goes for every sport club, not just football.

Are the Giants representing NY or NJ? Where MetLife is doesn't matter.

Anyway, I just beat the hell out of that. You should understand by now.

Cosmos, for their history, will get fanfare. Trust me. I can't say much for NYFC. They will have to build from the ground-up.

manny84 repped this.
  6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, and understood waaaaaaaayyyyy before. And, yes - yes you did beat the hell out of that and I'm not sure why.

You missed, horribly, on a joke. You still don't understand.

Just let it go.

7. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he gets it... and is just poking fun. i agree with this but its just a little mild mannered teasing about how the two teams representing NYC and such aren't actually there.

relax guy...

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as long as he doesn't try to brand it as "Manchester City USA" I think it has a chance of succeeding... :cool:

kiro2317 repped this.
  9. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New York Times provided details in relating with the “NY2” stadium proposal and the key actors involved (see below). It also offered insights on who’s the key individual from Manchester City F.C. in pursuing the dream into a reality.

Sheik Said to Pursue Soccer Franchise for Queens
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/s...w-soccer-team-in-new-york.html?pagewanted=all

Separately, Field of Schemes raised a yellow flag on the on Major League Soccer’s NY2 stadium proposal. They citied long and tedious bureaucratic process, started with the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP). It pointed out the duration could last for nine months, translating to February 2014. And that’s before getting an approval from New York City City Council and the state of New York.

MLS to announce something about a NYC franchise, sometime [April 26, 2013]

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/...nce-something-about-a-nyc-franchise-sometime/
    Partial excerpt:
    So what exactly does Garber expect is going to happen by the end of May? Howard Megdal of Capital New York notes that “It’s hard to believe the remaining obstacles have been completely overcome in such a way that the stadium can move forward on that timetable; the stadium has yet to be approved by the City Council.” (In fact, any stadium will have to go through the nine-month ULURP land-use process, so the earliest it could be approved would be next February.) The cable news channel NY1 reports (citing “sources”) that “league officials will unveil their proposal for a 25,000-seat venue as soon as a month from now,” but unveiling a proposal isn’t at all the same thing as having one finalized.

Queens MLS stadium could start construction by spring! Or not [August 13, 2012] {NOTE: “By Spring,” within the headline context, means between March 20th and June 20th of 2014}

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2012/...um-could-start-construction-by-spring-or-not/

The Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP)
    http://www.nyc.gov/h:ml/dcp/html/luproc/ulpro.shtml/

10. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A major correction:

Queens MLS stadium could start construction by spring! Or not [August 13, 2012] {NOTE: “By Spring,” within the headline context, means between March 20th and June 20th of 2013} not "2014". My apologies.

11. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In Staten Island the wheel will move into the Uniform Land Use Review Process phase by May, with final approval expected by year's end and ground-breaking of the site next spring. In this situation the ULURP process will be 7 months.

12. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first few games, perhaps. After that the novelty of Cosmos will wear out, and the fans will realize that it's just another minor league soccer team playing on Long Island wearing the Cosmos name. If NY2 happens, Cosmos will simply disappear.

13. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    It will also depend on them getting one, maybe even two, star players who would help carry the frenzy and transform it into something more permanent.

Think of Beckham in LA. The exception is that NY Cosmos, I suspect, will do it right.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what "star" player is going to play D2 football in the US ?

Are you implying that LA didn't ?

Oh wow.

15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Exactly HOW did the Galaxy fall down with Beckham? Exactly?

16. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Who the hell knows LA Galaxy?

The only, real thing that Beckham did was add even more fans, in the US, to his belt. And he managed to get the MLS a bit more notice but nothing extraordinary. Take a step back and see for yourself. I was there in LA when Beckham first came to San Diego. I also went through those goddammed atrocious two season in 2007 and 2008. The only player saved from any criticism at that time was Joe Cannon and even can only do so much...

Those two seasons didn't do him any favors and it clearly shows now after the frenzy is over. Galaxy are still, more or less, the same type of team they were immediately prior to his arrival.

17. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
  18. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that reality eludes you ...

19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you get any of that?

20. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    You confuse reality with perception. Perception is just another word for not knowing all the facts, an assumption, sometimes even an outright lie. Otherwise, it would simply be referred to as reality.

I am seeing the reality. Your perception is extremely flawed, blinded by wanting to inflate something out of personal desire. That is called a self-induced illusion.

The fact is that Galaxy didn't do anything worthwhile during his stay. Not in your SuperLiga, much less your CCL.

National tournaments can only carry you so far. And when you are not Brazil, it takes you nowhere. LA Galaxy completely blew it on those two forementioned competitions with Beckham not being a factor.

As I have said: the only thing that was accomplished during his stay is that he added more followers, living in the US, to his name. LA Galaxy just happened to benefit from a few things out of mere association. Now that he is gone, who is talking about the Galaxy now?

Better yet: how are they doing in the MLS? What is the club like today?

...Exactly.

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of what, his drivel ?

If you are seriously trying to deny the movement in this league since 2007 (with Beckham's signing spearheading the movement) ... then we can just file you right along with WhiteStar and DCU1996. There is quite a clear pattern of growth and development in this league that Beckham and his arrival allowed for. He was catalyst. To say otherwise is pretty dumb.

Specifically LA was in a rut. Yes, they won the Cup in 05 but finished 4th in the west and then finished 5th the year before he signed. His first two years were crap in terms of LA's play. When the club figured out how to make the new roster rules and spending work ... they finished 1st in the West 3 times, reached the final twice, and won an MLS Cup. At the moment they seem to be pretty good again this year ...

22. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Beckham was anything but a catalyst. The catalyst you are referring to is the 2002 WC. Any and all growth associated to the league and the clubs, as a whole, did not grow on account to Beckham.

Those titles are all fine and dandy but so what? How did the Galaxy do in international competition?

With respect, I don't even think you know what you are talking...

Learn to read the world of football.

The club owners are already setting in motion the eventual signings of Ronaldinho, Andrea Pirlo, Carlos Tevez, Xavi, Frank Lampard, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erm yeah ok ... the growth and explosion this league had starting in 2007 which coincides with the arrival of David Beckham was totally due to the 2002 WC five years prior ...

... no.

I know exactly what I'm talking about ... you're just pretending it doesn't exist, or are just flat out ignoring it.

I don't even know what this means.

You didn't answer the question.

24. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    I linked that to its proper source but someone changed it to trash. Here it is again. Given the player's conditions two years from now, and the power of the petrodollars, it looks like this owner wants to make a statement.

The Cosmos will find it hard to compete with that.