Coming clash of UEFA vs FIFA after the corona epidemic

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Well, the second wave is a covid tsunami sweeping over Europe. Yet the UEFA isnot taking things seriously, probably because of the money at stake for them.
    National team matches are taking place as if nothing is going on and soon even the European Cup competitions are supposed to kick off, while most of Europe is being painted red with covid alert.
    Infected players were on the pitch in the Nation League matches.
    How long before gouvernments take drastic measures?
    The Dutch gouvernment has warned that if the infection rate doesnot go down within 2-4 weeks a total lockdown will be implemented.

IASocFan and Real Mardin repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'd hate to say "I told them so" but I totally told 'em so. :coffee: {i.e. Should've started WC qualifying early when infection rates were low and countries were close to being fully open}.

Now they risk not finishing the Nations League and also starting WC qualifying late, and perhaps even teams having to forfeit matches.:rolleyes:

IASocFan repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not generally be in agreement with @feyenoordsoccerfan and @BocaFan on this topic, but it would be disingenuous of me to ignore the evidence:

Honestly, I think the thread title might need to be updated: it's now FIFA/CONMEBOL and UEFA trying to push through their schedules, pandemic be damned. The question is how long can football continue to live in its own reality...

Then again, Ukraine was a COVID-19 basketcase last month, and after an initial outbreak that decimated their team ahead of the France friendly, they hosted their Nations League fixtures without incident.

4. WUT:eek:
    Generally as in "almost always"o_O?
    How dare you:mad:

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    FIFA/CONMEBOL and UEFA have the right to push their schedule through as long as proper safety precautions are taken and protocols are followed.

The alternative is to what???
    Cancel everything?
    Not going to happen.

voiceoflg repped this.
  6. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cases are going up because testing is happening at a more frequent rate. The vast majority of cases are in nursing homes. Right or wrong people have gotten to the point of cost/risk. WHO whom were basically in charge of this thing from the start are now saying to not go on massive lockdowns because they are causing other issues that are overall causing more harm than if there were no shutdown but governments are testing how far they can force their power on its citizens.