come on OSI

Discussion in 'Referee' started by keeper1031, Apr 6, 2008.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't OSI make shorts with an inseam longer than like 5 inches? Being almost 6 ft tall the shorts i bought made me look like an idiot. So now i've gone back to wearing cheap ref shorts instead of the nice fabric of the OSI ones.

2. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont seem to have this problem. i have two pair of the Climacool (or whatever!) pro shorts. one pair come down to a perfect length, and the others (which are newer) are too long.

i am 6'1", so i could imagine we're close in height.

3. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    They aren't short. I'm 6'0 and have a pair of the large size Coolwic shorts, and they work and look just fine. They don't need to go down to your knees. Should be three inches above, I believe.

4. ref2coach

ref2coach Member

May 27, 2004
    TN, USA
    I agree with Keeper1031, My NISOA shorts made by OSI were to short. I took out the hem, used hem tape inside to create a surface to sew a new seam. Managed to add almost an inch in length.

This is why I use Score for all my other shorts. They will give you any length inseam you request, it only adds about 2 weeks lead time to the order.

5. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.hardkor-sports.com/uniform-shorts/4470fs.jpg

I'm sure with your self-admitted seamstress skills you could sort these out....

Or you could go the route of a well-known ex-USMC referee in these here parts and go with black swim shorts......

My stumpy 5' 8½" frame with 30" inseam fits just fine in the OSI shorts and completely covers my Under Armor compression shorts which our states top female assessor hates to see.

6. Wahoos1

Wahoos1 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Too short. Just about the right inseam for an old guy working the early bird special in Florida. Sorry, but I like a bit baggier and longer. Hey if we have to wear high socks like the players why cannot we have the choice for a baggier, short like they have?

Really, a common sense explantaion would be fine. Perhaps a memo from USSF on the reasoning for giving me that stupid looking leg tan at the beach every July 4....

Long socks too...hold up our knees?

7. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    Long socks are traditional, make you look more like a player, and with the different bodies, heights, and sizes of referees make us look more uniform and professional. Nowhere else in the world do you see soccer referees wearing short socks.

Long shorts? Your own preference but shorter shorts make you look more athletic even if you are not. I personally like the OSI shorts a lot. Long shorts, shorts with snap-buttons, and shorts that are not designed for refereeing do not have the same look as others and will never be seen on higher level referees - doesn't mean they aren't practical for a certain crowd though.

8. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Baggier, longer shorts do not look at all professional on a referee and should never be seen on one.

I wish more referees would look more professional. This is a profession which suffers from image problems at it's lower levels -- where players and families spend thousands of dollars to play. So it really that hard to look the part and spend $100 on looking good? Referees who feel the need to have baggy shorts that go past their knees and wear short or no socks look absolutely horrible. And then they wonder why the get no respect from players, coaches, and spectators and are always having their decisions questioned.

Off the soapbox now. Professionalism is something I take seriously, if it wasn't obvious.

9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I went one size larger on the OSI (went XL instead of L) and that seemed to work better for me. I have a cycler's build (I do cycle!) so my thighs are a tad more muscular than the rest of me. But, I could go a little bit longer maybe a half inch longer?!!

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    well, the adidas shorts that the pros are wearing, while not baggy, are certainly quite long. They are basically knee-length on most people. Obviously those of us with shorter legs will have them looking even longer.

11. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    From the Referee Administrative Handbook, page 34, Standards of Dress and Appearance:
    "BLACK SHORTS: Bottom edge of shorts not less than 3 nor more than 7 inches above the top of the kneecap."

The Referee Tan is Mandatory! :D

12. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Yeah cause yellow jerseys with pin stripes look professional :). We are dorks on the field in any combination of the current uniforms. Short shorts are awful, but I don't want them past my knee either. I believe the current OSI ones that I have are almost down to my knee, which is a good length. I also cut out the liner so they are a bit less form fitting.