Comcast Direct Kick problems

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GlennAA11, Sep 4, 2005.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Hello. I posted this in the general MLS forum and got no response. I have Comcast Arlington and this weekend the channels that carried the MLS Direct Kick package no longer exist for me. If I enter the channel numbers (757-760) all I get is the flashing ??? and the channels don't show up in the program guide. Is anyone else with Comcast having problems? They sent a tech out and there was really nothing he could do as it seemed to be a problem farther along the chain than anything wrong with my box or anything.

2. USA#1

USA#1 New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Alexandria, Va
    I had the same problem with Comcast in Alexandria. This is clearly a programming issue that has nothing to do with individual boxes. I noticed too late to call and complain (and demand a refund for this past weekend) on Saturday, but I sure plan to tomorrow.

3. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I had the same problem. Well, I remember hazily thinking "********, where's the Direct Kick?" as we finished the keg.

Glad to know it wasn't just me forgetting what the channels were. I'll call tomorrow, too.

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Same here.

I wanted to post today (rather than Saturday) so that the thread did not get buried.

5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I hope all of you guys will call. I just tried again and they are claiming that everything is fine on their end and they recommend I exchange my box. It seems odd though that at least 4 of us would all have our boxes exhibit the exact same problem at the exact same time. I don't see how replacing the box will magically make those channels appear on their system.

6. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I called and let them have it! I demanded that they refund the cost of the entire package. I waited on hold for 30 minutes on Saturday night before I spoke to someone. However, it was all useless since she said that she couldn't do anything for me. So, Sunday morning, I called again. They claimed everything was fine on their end, so it must be our boxes... all 4 of them. It's crap. Comcast customer service is crap and it's always been.

7. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    And that in a nutshell is why I now have a dish. I had a problem with them about three years back where every friggin Sunday night right before the Sopranos the signal would go out. They sent someone out four times to try and fix it and left each time proclaiming they had it fixed - yet it always went out. When I called to complain the last time I got a wonderful customer service rep who was of no help except for when I said I should just get a dish and her response was - "I would be happy to process your termination". I was so freaking pissed I hung up - went down to BestBuy and promptly got myself a Dish.

8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I would get a dish, except it is not possible for me to install one in my hi-rise condo. So I am stuck. For the most part I kind of like the digital cable and all the HD channels they have even though it costs way more than satellite.

I guess maybe I'll call back and try to talk to a manager.

9. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    What number have you all been calling at Comcast?

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I've been calling 703-841-7700 but I think the calls all end up at the same place. The guy I talked with claimed he contacted the head end and they told him everything was fine.

11. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    FYI--all was fine this weekend for Comcast DirectKick coverage in the District, so the problem must be exclusive to Arlington and Alex.

going a bit off-topic here, but...

Too bad you missed the Sunday night game. Highlights: Max says Galaxy's Paulo Nagamura is best d-mid in MLS. Allan says quality of Galaxy forwards sure makes it hard for a guy like Alan Gordan to get playing time. Max (again) refers to L.A. as "probably the most successful team over MLS's history." Alan and Max make constant reference to L.A. constantly being unlucky this year. Alan and Max make three references to Steve Sampson "guiding" the '98 U.S. team to the World Cup; they make no refs. to what happened once we got there. At 89", Allan says Chicago "desperately trying to hang on for a tie" vs. Galaxy. At 91", when Chicago knocks in a stoppage-time winner, Allan issues the most blase call of "goal" ever heard from a commentator.

If your DK is still down next weekend, I'll be happy to provide highlights of Greg Lalas's call on the Revs game.

12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for that input. It is helpful in trying to figure out what is going on. Can you tell us what channel numbers DK is on in DC?

I watched part of Sunday's game via the mlsnet website. As i have said on many occasions I find Max and Allen's warped view of reality to be highly amusing.

13. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Wait, are you saying that Max and Alan are homers?

14. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    They are on channels 758 and 760.

15. Sanneh97

Sanneh97 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Just got off the phone with Hasan (sp) of Comcast...I dialed 1-800-comcast. He called his Head End (no clue what that means) and was told that in fact there is an issue with Alexandria and Arlington DK channels and that it will be working today.

16. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I had a similar situation. It ended with a conference call with myself, my wife, and my wife's old roommate. At one point, the Comcast representative told my wife to stop talking, because she wasn't listed on either of the accounts in question. That's the only time I've ever raised my voice while at work. Cancelled the cable and high speed internet. When I told the woman that's what I was going to do, her response was, "That's fine." Guess they didn't want my $80 a month. (Close to $1,000 a year)

17. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Yep - Comcast at their finest. More than glad to help you cancel your service but God forbid they take a few seconds to try and address your problems.

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just looked at the channel guide and the channels go from 750 to 77something.

I'll call tomorrow. This kind of crap really pisses me off.

19. Sanneh97

Sanneh97 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I now have channel 758 and 760 marked as Direct Kick MLS package...only 2 channels from the 4 I had before last week....atleast it is a step in the right direction.

20. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Yep, Channel TEAM 8 = 758 and Channel TEAM 10 = 760. At least in the District, we can only get two simultaneous games, and any others are shown on delay. This started with the DC @ Chicago game last month, the one we won 3-2.

So last Saturday, when there were five games on simultaneously, Channel 758 had a match at 7:30, a match at 10 and a match (DC @ Colorado) at midnight. The other channels (757; 759) are now dedicated to pay college football. Or is the term "pay college football" redundant?

21. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checked, and this is the case in Alexandria as well.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading this, I am very happy to have my satellite with 5 MLS channels ;)

23. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Same here.

4 games are live, 2 east coast and 2 west coast.

The DC United game is tape delay at 12:30am, but it is shown live on Comcast Sports Network.

24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    yes everything appears to be back to normal now. Thanks everyone for calling so I didn't seem like the only crazy person.