Columbus v. DC 5/4

Discussion in 'Referee' started by stanger, May 5, 2019.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref, Trapp, Acosta bump into each other at midfield, Acosta falls and Trapp passes out to Santos who scores a full 10 seconds after the contact with the ref.

Ref goes to VAR, calls goal back due to foul on Trapp.

Any logical justification?

Contact shown below

2. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Unkel screwed up and screwed you guys.

After us getting screwed on a VAR last week-end, I don't feel too terribly bad, but my sympathies anyway....

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 MassachusettsRef, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    That’s one angle and most certainly the worst angle to show. There are other angles that clearly show contact. Trapp kicked Acosta. It was a defensible foul call.

Now, whether or not it reached the threshold of “clearly wrong” not to call is an entirely different matter. PRO just said Friday that the annulled goal in Minnesota for the arm on the goalkeeper’s shoulder should have stood because the call was too subjective and not calling the foul did not rise the the threshold for VAR intervention. I have a hard time envisaging how PRO will take that stance, yet defend this intervention.

By the way, the “full 10 seconds” thing doesn’t matter—at all. This incident started the attacking phase play (APP) for Columbus. It could have been 30 seconds between this alleged foul and the goal. So long as it starts Columbus’ attacking move and that move is consistent and uninterrupted, the incident must be checked and reviewed if the VAR thinks it’s a clear foul. There’s not some sort of sliding scale as time elapses. If this is a clear foul and it is clearly wrong not to call it, then the goal gets ruled out. The question, of course, is whether or not it truly is clearly wrong not to call this. I’m skeptical.

4. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Trapp certainly made some contact with Acosta’s foot, but it looked like Acosta’s contact/trying to avoid contact with Unkel had as much to do with him falling down as the contact from Trapp did.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Any reason for this to be a new thread and not merged with the existing thread?

6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice part about the video clip I posted is that you can slow it down, pause it, go frame by frame.

Trapp made no contact with Acosta.

Acosta went down due to contact with the ref.

Ref made no visible gesture indicating a foul by play was allowed to continue.

I have never seen the team committing the foul to be allowed to continue only to have the call made after the play. What would be the point in letting play continue? Certainly no advantage to DC to let it continue?

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are wrong about the contact. Other angles will prove you wrong. It’s not like the VAR invented something that doesn’t exist.

You also have no concept of how VAR works. I tried to explain, but it appears a lost cause.

You have a legitimate gripe here. You just don’t understand what it is and are therefore complaining about all the wrong stuff.

superdave, JasonMa and stanger repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fan wanted to complain.

RefIADad repped this.
  9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked for an existing thread before starting this one. I apologize for failing to meet your high standards.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entire sequence. Different angle. Trapp’s right foot is no where near Acosta. Only contact is between Acosta and the ref.

And I fully understand my gripe, thank you.

11. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh....that angle isn't definitive....

We get it; it was a shitty circumstance, a shitty call, and we agree that it probably wasn't the right decision. Pro's probably gonna say it didn't meet the bar for review. If they say anything else, Unkel's performance itself will be open to a ton of further criticism. (E.g., the yellow on Moreno, while a worse, later foul on Arriola is a simple DFK, a CLB foul uncalled....)

I will say that Unkel was a good sport in high-fiving some kids on the sideline during warm-ups...Most ignore 'em.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing how you can see that through 3 players on this viewpoint. I certainly can't make that declaration.

(To be clear I have no idea of there was contact or not, I'm a Rapids fan, and not a ref, so no obvious biases here. Just pointing out that you can hardly see every possible point of contact with the feet and legs in this video.)

Really? Because this suggests you don't.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • Line crossed from plausible ignorance to blatant trolling
    Trapp's right leg is bent when Acosta starts to go down. Trapp's left would have to go through the ref to get to Acosta.

Contact doesn't constitute a foul, either.

If anything, the Acosta should be retroactively carded for simulation and the ref should take up another profession.

14. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're losing your sympathetic audience, mate...

15. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost, not losing.

stanger repped this.
  16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If the ball hit Unkel, this is exactly the type of play that demands a drop ball next year? Am I right?

What could be absolutely beautiful next year is that not only will VAR be looking to see if there was a foul there, but he will also be looking to see if the ball hit the referee.

Maybe there was an angle or contact that we don't see that makes it look more of a foul then it really is, but this looks like a really really bad use of VAR.

I really can't stand the concept of APP. Nobody in the game wants these type of plays to go to review. When VAR was rolled out and introduced nobody had these plays in mind to fix.

They really need to change APP to have the phrase "immediate" attacking phase of play or something of that nature. Not this.

jarbitro and seattlebeach repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now you're suggesting there really was contact, it just doesn't rise to the level of a foul. But I though you said it was clear there was no contact.

sitruc and Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we block this Crew gripe-fest and give Stanger a yellow card? It’s clear he wants to just complain.

stanger repped this.
  19. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Didn't see this thread before. Here's Caleb Porters thoughts.

20. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he wants to complain. He has a legitimate reason to. And there are a lot of non-Crew fans questioning the call, just check the N&A forum.

21. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    And you feel this is the legitimate place to complain?

22. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy initially seemed to come here to get the referee take on what the interpretation might have been, and validate their own concern...It's what people who aren't refs usually come here for. When presented with "yeah, it's questionable at best", rather than saying "OK, well, I'm glad I'm not alone, I hope PRO clears this up and Unkel gets time to reflect..." he kinda went tin foil hat.

Look, you guys got screwed by a VAR call this game, we did last game, in both cases the VAR use wasn't all that appropriate, and took way longer than it should have. It ain't changing the result, and we can just hope the refs learn something from it...

23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not disagreeing that he has a right to complain. That’s why there are team forums. This forum is to discuss technical referee items, not to be a gripe fest for angry fans.

24. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Out of curiosity, does the fact that Unkel was unsighted move this bar at all? Sorta like only misconduct not seen by the ref gets to be retroactively sanctioned?

The official review is automatic with ball in the net, so is the conversation “hey unkel there was contact right at the beginning of the APP- you wanna see it?”?

(Totally irrelevant - JJ Williams, who was a club teammate of my son’s for three years, got a real run out- subbed in for Zardes at min 65!)