Columbus - San Jose (Saturday, 7/9) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 5, 2005.

1. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I'm a little less optimistic, we have been on a roll, they are like a cornered animal with the coaches job on the line. It's not gonna be as easy as everyone is predicticting i think, especially with the defensive woes we have.

i think we will give up a goal or two, but will score a few too

Quakes 3 Crew 2 on another stoppage time goal

(Cerritos, Gray, and someone from the bench for the winner maybe nash, Buddle, Ridriguez)

2. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I hope you don't mean that Buddle or Mario Rodriguez is going to score the winner for the Crew? Maybe you're expecting them to give us an own goal?

3. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    hell no, i know I'm pessimistic but not that pessimistic. three for da quakes two for the crew, last time i looked nash, gray and cerritos were playing for us, and no way is gray gonna score an own goal just cos hes at center half :gulp:

4. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Firstly - Losgatosfan - please accept me belated gratitude for the practice update, I usedta go to them while livin' in that neck'o'thewoods - and loved watching Frankie and ironically Brian Quinn administer them; Lothar + Laurie - did not care for. Definitely - the practice opens up a lot of possibilities for the game.

Secondly - I'd be a LOT more concerned mit the feet, ankles and thighs of my D, as opposed to 3 points in C-bus.
    Questions :

a/ Does second vs. third place in the group REALLY means anything in the playoffs?
    In 2003 and 2004 it seemingly did - yet, I'm not convinced.

b/ Am I the only one who has conceded the Divsion to "Eklund for Life"'s avatar?
    Just 'cause I'd rather have a healthy team come the playoffs, and a team mit Joey in the net can upset anyone?

5. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    The top team has won 4 out of 9 MLS cups (La 2002, KC 2000, DC 99, Dc 97)

The 4th place team (overall) has won twice (Quakes tied for 4th in 2001, DC 99)

The Third place team overall has won twice (DC 96, Chicago 96)

2nd place team overall won once (Quakes 2003)

So definately if you're in a 2nd/3rd place playoff in your division there is hope

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Stop doing this! Stop! Stop! For the love of Almightly Ra, Stop!

7. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Will they be charged another 10 million or are these the bonus points from their first 10 million?

8. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Even though it is always tough to win in somebody else's place, I'm not overly worried this week because Cbus is nearly as shorthanded as we are. Watching their games in recent weeks, they've said that the biggest problem the Crew has had is lack of service from the midfield. They had placed a great deal of that burden on Martino (though Elliot and Rodriguez do their fair share w/ Mario carrying the ball forward more than delivering passes.) This week, Martino is out w/ a red card suspension. Even with a patchwork defense, I believe our Quakes are enough of a team to mark the forwards and not let Rodriguez get many touches...when he does, don't let him run free.

After that, it's just a matter of holding the ball and patiently waiting for chances.

I like the Quake in this one....2-0.

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That is damn funny. And now finally we know why the Gals wear piss yellow and puke green.

10. i_heart_the_quakes

i_heart_the_quakes New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Home at last!
    Andrulis' job has "been on the line" (at least with the fans) for a couple months now and the team hasn't really been playing any better. I think until there's real pressure from the FO for him to either step things up or be out of a job, nothing's really going to change. I don't really expect the Quakes to roll big over the Crew, but I expect nothing less than a win. I say 2-0 with goals from Moreno and Chung. :)

11. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

12. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, did Twain drive you up the wall with his attention to dialect in "Huck Finn"?

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So getting back to our chances this weekend . . . the Crewless have been neither good, nor lucky this season. Our defense could be a little bit shakey, but our offense should have no problem with their defense. I'm going to predict a 2 -1 Quakes victory. I expect our guys to dominate. The Crewless just don't have what it takes right now.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

14. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Crew-3......Quakes-3

Buddle 12
    Martino 20
    Mullan 31
    Moreno 45
    Buddle 67
    Nash 79

Buddle will exploit Cochrane with two header goals and many more close calls.

15. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Martino is out due to red card suspension.

16. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Quakes 1 - Crew 2.

Sorry. Not big hopes for this game...

17. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Has there been any news as to what our back line is going to be with both Califf and ERob out ??? Personally, I would just play with three in the back ...

- Onstad -

-Gray - Chochrane - Barrett-

-O'Rourke - Rico-

-Mullan - Chung - Russell

-Cerritos- Moreno-

18. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    I imagine it'll be something like this:

---Onstad---
    Aloisi---Gray---Cochrane---Barrett
    Mullan---Clark---O'Rourke---Chung
    Cerritos---Moreno

However if Cochrane is hurt and can't play, slip Aloisi into his spot and play Hart at RB.

Subs: Nash, Russell, possibly Wondolowski

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. Howver, long balls down the middle may be a problem with this lineup...

20. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Cool.....then we win 3-2

21. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    [rain on parade]
    May I remind everyone that the last time this board was so optimistic about winning we tied Chivas 3-3?
    [/rain on parade]

I am not so confident. I mean, we have something like seven or eight starters missing (counts: Waibel, Dayak, Ching, Davis, DeRo, E'Ro, Califf, ?Cochrane?). We are essentially throwing our reserve team defense at an MLS team, and we are missing our two primary assist guys (Davis, DeRo) and our best finisher (Ching). I don't get where the confidence comes from.

That said, I do see us as having a solid chance. I have a lot of faith in Dom's abilities as a coach (heck, he spent all last year practicing how to shuffle a line-up when facing injuries), and I think we will see a decent performance with solid team defense. I do worry, however, about our offensive production.

The way I see it, every game has a certain number of lucky bounces, calls, je ne sais quoi. I think this game will come down to ONE moment of luck. If it falls our way, then we will win, if not, we will tie -- or lose.

Prediction:
    0-0

22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure have a lot more confidence in Crew's offense than anyone over on Crew boards..

And yes, Martino is out due to red card. Usually that's a good thing for the opposing club, but in Martino's case; I think it favors Crew.

23. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    So - Hejduk, Glenn, Martino, Szetela are out.
    Still a team fielding Buddle, Elliott, Henderson unt Marshall (set pieces) should be scoring sumpm.
    Methinks - C-bus players are fed up w. de Coach - or morale simply at all time low.
    Now, I always liked Jonny Walker (der shpieler, when it comes to scotch nuttn kin beat Edradour) since his Chilean days fin FSE, and he got sumpm to prove - a la "please keep Busch on de bench next year, I'm not a rent-a-keep" ; so dat boychik will be standing on his head and C-bus can do woise den deir current 2 center D's altho' suspeniosn is looming over Fraser.
    Dom has eloquently pointed out towards service cutoff to Buddle - that'd be O'Rourke - IMHO; if dat actually materializes - it's either 0 - 0; or 1 - 0 Quakes on an outside de box angle screened shot by Mullan or Ronnie.
    Well - this year - it could be an own goal by Marshall.

24. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yes, I posted this after yesterday's practice earlier in this thread (p3)

Projected starters (based on 11 v 11 at Wednesday practice):
    Onstad
    Hart - Gray - Cochrane - Barrett
    Mullan - O'Rourke - Clark - Chung
    Moreno - Cerritos

The only question is whether or not Cochrane will be able to go; he participated fully in practice yesterday, so you'd think he would be able to. But Dom is taking both Aloisi and Goldthwaite as possible subs, along with Cochrane and Robinson, for defense, and it will be a game day decision on who dresses (looks like it will be one defensive sub, along with Conway, Nash, Wondolowski, and Russell).

If Cochrane can't go, then it would probably be Aloisi in the middle in his place.