Columbus - San Jose (Saturday, 7/9) Inmatch/postmatch thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJtotalfootball, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreeeeeeeeeeed! If they haven't seen the game yet, and are watching it now on FSBA, then they shouldn't be here.
    (I'm watching it for the second time, now. God, what a looney!)

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, they should know better than to be snooping on this thread!

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people watching on tape delay may not have considered the Direct Kick coverage.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Personally, if I don't want to know the outcome of the game, I don't come on the BB at all!! Even if I avoid the in/postmatch thread, we make comments in other threads that can certainly imply what the outcome was. (Besides, my default screen is the Quakes' homepage, so I get the score/result the second I log on.

Anyway, your point is well taken....if ya don't wanna know, stay of the internet.

6. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think this was Ronald's best game of the season so far, I have to agree with Ray about him pinning his own diapers. :)

Thought that the team looked really shaky for the first 25 minutes or so, then they improved a lot. Onstad and O'Rourke were very iffy but managed to improve later, Hart did not impress me at all, even after the others pulled it together, way too many poor balls from him.

Once again Rico is involved in the winning goal, what a lovely run and pass and a great ball from Moreno for Rico to run onto. Chung and Mullan both looked solid.

I thought the last 10 minutes or so we lost it, stopped playing the passing game and looked a bit desperate, allowing Columbus too much posession, but we hung on for the points :)

Overall a great gutsy perfomance on the road.

That's four out of six points on the road now, with two games still to come. many would say that a draw in any road game is a good thing so with four points we've already done well.

DC will be a lot tougher, looks like we may have dero back but after playing three games (assuming he plays the next one for Canada) he might need a rest. Talking about Dero, not sure if anyone saw him play today but he was by far the best player for Canada. It must be frustrating playing without any support, he needs to come home to san jose and then he'll have lots.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

like i said ... I know that.

but if people who don't the result of the game are dumb enough to come into a thread with an [R] on it, welll.......

8. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Wow, lucky you, mine kept stopping, it stopped right before Ero's first goal, but lucky I got it restarted for the replay.

9. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was using the tag in case someone is wanting to post on the inmatch part of the thread while watching the delay. Some people get pissed and I was doing it as a courtesy.

10. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Yes, FAS....funny you should mention that. I watched both of Canada's games now and that is the impression I had as well. DeRo is a one-man team out there. He must be sick that he missed a great opportunity inside the 18 vs. the US today.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see much of anyone else on that side, now did we? (Or am I just biased?)

12. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    No, i don't think biased, the only one I saw create anything was dwayne and a few of his passes really should have been put away, or at least made it as far as the hands of keller.

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    True 'nuff...that guy Serioux had a couple of dangerous forays in front of the net before he got his second yellow....but we're straying OT....back to those QUAKES!!! :D

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tape delay is finally finished...

Dominic Kinnear has got to be proud as a peacock to quote Rocket Ray.

First time in almost 10 years the Quakes gets a win in Crewville during the regular season, and second overall. Who'd thunk that Eddie Robinson would get the goal off the corner set play, and Ricardo Clark (with help from Alejando Moreno) would push the ball to the front and pass to Cerritos who fires the cracker?

Still, have to feel for Brian Mullan--seems to have caught another bad break.

Very spirited play, and coming from behind as well. The Quakes are obviously going forward, while the Crew are heading from best in 2004 to worst in 2005. Get the guys back from Gold Cup duty and these guys can get into a further roll in the west.

With the Metros beating LA 2-1 we're in sole possession of second if I'm guessing right. The only team to worry about now is Dallas. Looks good heading into Denver next week.

[result]Chivas 5 - 1 RSL - who would have expected that score to be just that?[/result]

15. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Update from Columbus -- I'm assuming by now everyone has watched the game, and it should be almost over on tape delay....I'm going to talk about the results lower in this post, so STOP READING if you don't want to know....

OK - Great win by the Quakes.

The stadium is really a nice place to watch a soccer match.....great sight lines, the seating is quite close to the sidelines so you don't feel as far away as at HDC. First time I've been here, and I'm impressed. If only we could take this stadium and drop it in the South Bay somewhere....

The crowd was really small - late arriving, but even after everyone showed up I'd be amazed if there were more than 6000-7000 there.....I can't believe it shows that there were 12,000+ on the box score....I know it's tickets sold, so I guess a lot of people didn't show up or something.

The crowd was not very into the game either, so the first part of the game was really kind of dead. Not sure if the Quakes came out flat, or were just thrown off by the 3-4-3 formation the Crew used, they certainly couldn't control the midfield at all for most of the first half. I swear I think Chung only touched the ball 4-5 times most of the half, and Mullan not that many more. Clark and O'Rourke were active in the middle, but O'Rourke looked really bad with his first touch and passing. He got better (as did most of the team) in the second half.

Quakes looked shaky on every CK and free kick, the Crew got a lot of nice crosses off that were not headed out but went all the way across, only were not finished off by anyone. Moreno really looked pretty bad out there, kept getting pushed around but it looked like he was also diving a bit (hard to say, have to watch the tape when I get home...) Cerritos was at least controlling the ball more and able to pass it off to someone in blue.

Other than set plays, I thought Gray and Robinson looked pretty good in the middle. Never would have guessed it was the first time Gray had played there with Eddie (and I think the first time he has every played there). Barrett seemed pretty good on defense, but he and Chung were not able to work much offense down the left side. Later in the game, they had a couple of nice combinations, but would have expected more.

The two goals in the first half were both really nice crosses and finishes, for the Quakes Cerritos hit a beauty, and Eddie did a great job finishing.

Quakes came out a bit better in the second half, seemed to control the ball in the midfield a bit better, I thought Clark played much better in the second half and Mullan started to make some things happen. I still was not very impressed by Chung or O'Rourke in the second half. The play for the Quakes second goal was gorgeous, and Clark really showed his speed and offensive ability on that run. And Cerritos with a very nice job of positioning himself for the pass, giving Rico a lane, and then finishing.

Guess I'd have to give Cerritos MOTM, he was the most consistent guy on offense and had the assist and goal. Honestly didn't think any of the other guys played great, many played fairly well in the second half but not as well in the first half. Not sure who on the Quakes lost their mark on the Crew goal, but I'd say that other than that goal the defense (particularly Gray and Robinson) did well. Good game by Clark, not as dominating in the middle as he has done previously, but a solid performance.

I'd rate the rest of the guys as subpar, but at least they did enough to go ahead and hang on for the win. The mark of a good team is that they still can win games they should win, even if they don't play as well as they can. I may be too hard on the team, with the atmosphere being kind of dead maybe it made the play seem worse than it was......

But, like I said, a great result and now they fly back to California tomorrow, practice for a couple of days, and fly back cross country to DC. That's gonna be a tough game to win on a short week with two long airplane flights.....but that's another thread.

The news on Mullan seems pretty positive - nobody seemed to be really worried about him, it is the same ankle he had surgery on, but they don't think it's a serious reinjury. And good news that Eddie makes it through the game with no problems. Cochrane was still too sore to go, but it doesn't seem to be anything long term serious.

16. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "Eddie, Eddie Robinson
    Ooh ooh
    Eddie, Robinson!"

Edge of the seat stuff, what a welcome change from that turgid US-Canada affair earlier on. Has Yallop lost it or is that he simply doesn't have the material to work with?

Stunning second goal for the Earthquakes.

The team, with its seemingly oddball collection of misfits that AEG hoped would set up San Jose to flop in their (allegedly) final season, is shaping up to be the most watchable and supportable of any Quakes side I've seen, which makes it all the harder to think of losing our club.

You gotta hand it to a coaching staff that get this unfamiliar team playing so well together in such a short time.

Columbus blew us away for the opening section, but then the Quakes seemed to find their team cohesion. At times we get torn apart at the back, but luck comes to the rescue at these moments else Crew could have had 2 or 3 more during those moments, but then we find our feet again and start surging back.

A mixture of determination, team work, and individual flashes of skills at exactly the required moments is turning this side into a potentially mesmerizing outfit.

They all played their socks off so it's hard to single out my faves in this game, but if I had to pick I'd say Robinson, Chung, O'Rourke, Moreno, Pat, and also Clarkie for setting up the move that led to the winning goal.

Hope Mullan is okay.

"We are San Jose, say, we are San Jose."

Christ will MLS suck without their most exciting side.

17. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to hear losgatosfan. :) I miss hanging out at Crewville--hope to get back there soon!

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Tell the team they were great please LGF (don't mention the first 25 minutes lol). I think we need to send you to all the road games where we have poor streaks historically, you picked a good time to visit Columbus, after 11 straight losses. not counting THAT playoff game of course). :D

19. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    lgf...I am SO jealous that you got to go to the game, then party with the team at the hotel afterwards. I feel like celebrating too but I'm at work and don't get done till midnight (Pacific) so I'll have to wait till 1 am to watch the game and drink the celebratory beer. :D

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Quakes win drought ends in Columbus" (Saturday, 7/9/05)

[​IMG]
    Pat Onstad and the Earthquakes take on the Crew. (Alan Yamamoto/MLS/WireImage.com)

[​IMG]
    Ronald Cerritos scored the game-winner for San Jose on Saturday night in Columbus. (John Todd/MLS/WireImage.com)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Whew... I'm exhausted from my spontaneous post-game dancing-around-the-house celebration. 28 points baby, and all to ourselves!

23. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I'll drink an extra one now, on your behalf :D

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, that was beautiful. That's really all I've got to say!!! :)

25. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This was something that has already been debated on BigSoccer. Really, staying away is something that is a lot easier to say than to do for lots of people who post here - especially those people who actually pay to be BigSoccer members. Thus it is the official policy of the site and the moderators are going to inforce it as much as they are able.