Columbus pre-matchnight gathering?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Delta Blues, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I'm coming from Memphis, galaxyfan03 from LA, many others from outside Columbus for a match that is, face it, meaningless really. Therefore, the comraderie and social aspect of this match is massively important. Where are the get-togethers going to be? Let's get this party started and make some firm plans! Time to tip back a few and get a little crazy!

Forza USA!

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    We'll be releasing information on that shortly.

Hopefully by Monday or so, we're trying to set up a deal with the bar to get a discount on drinks or something along those lines.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Very cool, and thanks for the effort!

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Got this off of the Sam's Army site:

There will be a PRE GAME HAPPY HOUR the evening prior to the match on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 at:

Tommy Keegan's Irish Pub
    456 South Front St
    Columbus, OH 43215
    Phone: 614-221-9444
    http://www.tommykeegans.com
    7:00 pm - until ?

There will also be a POST GAME PARTY after the game also at Tommy Keegan's. We are currently working on a special drink deal for those who come to the PRE & POST GAME parties, their drink selection and athmosphere are excellent.

5. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    *Bump*

We need to overflow the place with US supporters!

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably a stupid question, but my family and I are coming from out of town into Columbus on Tuesday for the WCQ. Would this event (PreGame party) be appropriate for kids?
    Thanks

7. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I don't know about Ohio law regarding minors in establishments that serve alcohol. Even so, it's usually a fairly rowdy (although civilized) gathering when US fans get together, and not one I'd consider "kid friendly."

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Delta. We were looking for something to do on Tuesday night, I guess this won't be one of them.
    See you guys at the game!

Everyone wearing red right?

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    As long as they are under your supervision you could bring them in.
    I would tend to disagree. Usually it's a bunch of us just drinking, talking about soccer and having a good time. I have never seen "rowdy" behavior in terms that it would offend me to the point I wouldn't bring my kids to partake in the fun. Hell in DC before the Panama game there were about 15 of us just drinking, eating and talking...nothing wild about it.
    Of course.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I'm basing it on the gatherings at Kell's in Seattle. Some of the language, discussion, songs can be a bit coarse. Other than some occasional language, and smoky air you're probably right.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for info guys. My family consists of myself, my pregnant wife and my 2 year old daughter. So thanks, but no thanks. :)
    GO USA!
    See you guys next week!

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about pre-game Wednesday? Fado anyone? Barley's? I mean, if you're in town for a Tuesday eve get together what'll you be doing on Wednesday?

13. Injury Time

Injury Time Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    I'll be at Fado's for the 1:30 Turkey/Ukraine match which should be shown on Setanta.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I should find out when the lots open sometime this morning.

We plan on being at the stadium to tailgate whenever the gates open.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing. To bad the England-Spain friendly isn't being broadcast; well, it seems to be on TVE -Dish Latino package or DirecTV Para Todos, which I don't have. Anyone know of a place on town that might be showing this match? If not, I'll be at Fado with a friend to watch Turkey-Ukraine.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Gates open at 1:30pm. A little early for my blood...

My group plans on being out to the parking lot to tailgate around 3 or 3:30.

17. j5isalive

j5isalive New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    They really open at 1:30? For the US-CR WCQ in 2000, we showed up at about 3 and were forced to wait outside the gate until 4.

18. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How close is Tommy Keegan's to Crew Stadium? Me and my friend are coming out for the game... my first national game, and first time in the Columbus area so, I'm kind of clueless as to how it's mapped out.

19. crewrogue

crewrogue New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Ohio
    Keegan's is in the Brewery District which is in the south part of downtown. It is 5-8 minutes from the stadium and obviously less for anyone staying in the heart of downtown. The owner is a Crew fan and tonight brought his own tapes of the US WC victories over Mexico and Portugal. They have beer specials tomorrow through the night so feel free to head there after the game. There is a Jamaican party across the street at a club that will have bands, dj's and the like, but is charging 15 bucks a pop. No matter what your choice is there is potential for a good atmosphere so feel free to head on down. I have a feeling that the game is going to be special.

Walt

20. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Had a really good time last night. Thanks to Tom for the drink specials and munchies! Not a large group, but a rabid and friendly one. Lots of good banter and remeniscing! Good to see galaxyfan03 (Alex) again (I'm good at driving directions eh? ;) ),and meet Tom, Chuck, Steve, Walt etc. Bunch of good folks! See everyone at the tailgate. BTW we need to heckle Fidlerre for not showing up!!! :)