Columbus Getting The Jamaica Game

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by scottwildcat, May 3, 2012.

1. scottwildcat

scottwildcat Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Since Columbus is getting a game so early in the qualifying will they still get a 2nd one in the Hex and the Mexican game? Or is it time that a new city such as possibly Kansas City gets the Mexico qualifier? Granted I am sure Columbus can get 2 games. I am just hoping KC gets a good qualifier.

2. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I honestly think this means Mexico in Columbus may not happen. Could possibly be in Sporting KC, where atmosphere for the game would be electric.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    There are enough SSS's now where the USSF can play it coy. I think one reason the home atmosphere comparatively worsened in 09 compared to before was that Columbus was too obvious a pick for away fans.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican fans are still going to travel in large numbers to any stadium. The fact is that they just became more and more willing to foot the bill to fly into Columbus for the games.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This is one process I've never really paid much attention to sense I've never gone to Columbus, but I thought the Crew sold the tickets through their season ticket holders or fans who bought a 4 match bundle? I may be wrong, but I t thought some Mexican fans gamed the system?

Thus, why I think it's an advantage to have so many SSS possibilities next year.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well certainly they had some unique ticket practices. But with the advent of stubhub and what not it's not hard to "game" the system as you say. I bought Gold Cup Final tickets they day they went on sale. (~$50 if memory serves), by the week of the game stubhub had seats in my section going for $400. Think about it, for Mexican fans this is close to the World Series/playoffs whatever that they will get. A host of Gold Cup games and one WCQ in the US every four years. They are a passionate fan base and they will pay to get the tickets. And don't think that the ticket sellers (ie the guys that make a business of reselling tickets) don't realize this and don't think some of the fans that get their hands first on those tickets don't realize this.

7. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Exactly! I was at the Gold Cup final last year as well, and my two seats for $90 unexpectedly sold for about $400 a piece on my way to the stadium. I had to buy last minute off stubhub (about an hour before the game) for about $200 total, but the profit was there. I just listed them at a high price because I did not expect it to sell.

8. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but do we know when tickets for this match will go on sale?

9. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't see why this would have any barring on the Mexico game. Columbus hosted 3 games for 2006 Qualifying (Grenada, Jamaica, Mexico), hosting 2 for this cycle wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

10. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Thinking about going to this game.

Any recommended spots to stay at near bars that draws good eye candy? Might be going with a couple of college buddies.

11. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as there are so many more SSS out there now, I think it would.

Let's face it: Columbus Crew Stadium sucks compared to all the new facilities. As a Revs fans I bitch a lot about not having a stadium but it gives me hope that when they build it they will have learned from all the stadiums built previously and build something better.

12. LordHeadcheez

LordHeadcheez New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you in Portland, How do you think a USA/Mexico qualifier at Jeld-Wen play out?

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not in Portland but it was talked about briefly in other threads.

My personal opinion is that it has the potential to be the best Pro-USA atmosphere ever if the tickets were distributed to Timbers season ticket holders as a priority along with other ticket sale strategies to keep the Mexican fans at a minimum.

Only problem is the turf. They would need to switch to grass which ain't happening any time soon.

14. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    According to a Paulson tweet the turf would not be a problem for hosting an international game.

15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Fantastic if true!

I hope they get a WCQ match there.

16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I know Portland fans might go ballistic but I say after the TA gets a crack at tickets release a second set to Seattle season ticket holders then down to AO, SA etc. Make the entire stadium one big supporters section

17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the reasons for the "unique ticket practices" wasn't so much to avoid selling to Mexico fans, there are many of those same fans that are also Crew STH's and/or SG's members. The intent was to prevent a nucleus of green support from growing within the stadium.

I was talking to a senior front office guy last night after our game, and he said they were told that getting Jamaica did not necessarily rule them out for Mexico as well. The public line from Crew FO is, I think anyway, "why mess with a streak?". Undefeated, and it's the USA answer to Azteca. Yes, there are stadiums out there that are nicer. Actually, I'd argue that almost ALL of the SSS in MLS are nicer. But that's sort of the appeal too. "Come to Columbus. We CHOOSE to play "here".

Apart from being the first, and a legacy of Lamar (100% privately funded) and near record construction time, our little erector set of a stadium has not done too badly in terms of WCQ records.

If US Soccer goes somewhere else, KC, Portland, etc, and they lose that game, there will be hell to pay. If they go to Columbus and lose, then "it was time for a change anyway". Regardless the location is going to be a big question.

I would imagine that for the most part, the site selection will be influenced significantly by the actual US-MEX date too. IIRC, the first HEX date is the first part of February. That is obviously, another one of Columbus' main advantages. It's typically around 10 - 20 degree highs during February and not unusual for game time temps to be single digits.

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    You make good points crewfan but our "answer to the azteca" as you put it is progresssively getting more and more green in the stands as the years go by. Sure the first match was arguably the best Pro-USA crowd in the rivalry's history but I was there in 2005 and there seemed to be a lot more Mexican fans than the previous cycle. And from what i heard/ saw on tv there were even more Mexican fans in 2009. At this rate the whole stadium will be wearing green in future qualifications if we keep this up.

Conversely, You would never, ever, ever see huge amount of opposing fans for a match in the Azteca.

Fact is there are better facilities in better MLS cities with better supporters and stronger season ticket sales numbers. KC, Portland and maybe even the Union's stadium in Pennsylvania should be considered strongly for the Mexico Hex match assuming we both qualify of course.

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All valid points. I would agree that if Columbus is NOT the shoe in that it used to be, then Portland and KC should both be primary contenders as well.
    • Small Venues - Easier to control the crowd demographic
    • Inclement weather - benefits KC more so than Portland I would think
    • Relatively small MSA's which means (anecdotally, of course) smaller latino populations. This is what rules Philly out in my mind.

20. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting the Mexico game in KC or Portland make the most sense. I would prefer KC of course, because I could actually go to the game.

21. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Arena District downtown is the best spot, but it won't be within walking distance to the AO bar. Unfortunately, there aren't any hotels within close proximity to the bar, but if you cab to the bar (5-10 minute ride), you can walk to the stadium from there. It's a bit of a hike, but nothing outlandish with fellow USA fans and in early September weather.

I work in the Arena District, so very familiar with the area. Hotels closest to the popular bars are Hampton Inn & Suites, Hyatt Regency, Courtyard by Marriott, Drury Inn & Suites and Crowne Plaza. Most are on Nationwide Blvd, which is just a short walk from the bars. If you're looking to save some $$$ on hotel, Priceline is usually a good option for the Columbus market. I used to live in DC and regularly came back to Cbus. Usually could get 4- or 5- star hotel for under $75 per night via Priceline Name Your Own Price.

22. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of us not in Portland it's safe to say this will never happen. Ever.

I'll be shocked and buy beer for people if Portland, or any stadium with fake grass, gets a qualifier in 2012/2013 window.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turf and on the west coast. Two strikes

24. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love to see it in KC.

25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why move the game from a stadium in which we've been so successful?