Columbus Crew vs The Peach Pits of Atlanta FC (Match 17 | June 13, 2018 7:30 PM ET)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jun 10, 2018.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 06/13/18 match vs Atlanta?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

12.8%
  2. Win by one goal

43.6%
  3. Michael Bradley Hat Trick (née Tie)

17.9%
  4. Lose by one goal

12.8%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

7.7%
  6. Total War: Crew scores 3 separate goals off foot, head, and pk/set piece (worth 2 points!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and ties at home." - Gregg Berhalter

5.1%
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    2 points from our last 3 home games. But on the bright side we embarrassed our way out of the Open Cup again...to Chicago, again...at home.

It's almost like our position of hanging around 4th-5th on points per game in the East the past several weeks is actually indicative of where this club stands. If only someone was saying that....

TRUJDUB and Michael tomko repped this.
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well. That sucked.

3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GROUCHY! I'm on the board!

4. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can't coach competitive attitude. .grit ECT
    . Not enough players have it

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 Ch(Elsey), Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Ten Hail Guillermos for you.

Edit: So as I said earlier in the thread, I met up with an original female Crew supporter from this board. Photo evidence that it happened.

A huge dose of nostalgia is needed after that crap loss.
    [​IMG]

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Everyone looked sluggish.

I got moist for that? Oh well.

We have the talent up top it's just the mechanism getting there that is getting more and more suspect as the season moves on.

7. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes we did.

8. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I don't even care that we lost tonight [emoji23]

My daughter won Star Wars Night!

#SaveTheCrew so I can make more memories like this one! IMG_20180613_182814.jpeg

9. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Martinez was the only one who consistently threatened AU. When he was subbed out we were utterly toothless. Very bad game for Pipa but he wasnt alone.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Star Wars is a kids movie.

Jim Bach repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm glad this team has 10 days off. They need it. If I were GGG, I'd say "see you Monday".

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did I--but I had my Crew SC STH Blanket (TM). Sitting on it seemed appropriate.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the problem with a bunch of draws -- in one match, we've gone from being unbeaten in nine to winless in four.

Three home games. Two draws, one loss. Rough home stand. I agree with what kgilbert said -- we need the break.

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good time for a break. Rest well all.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Such a small but magnificent number. I am sure one of the Dispatch guys picked up on this number, but good lord, as a supporter I must say I am still amazed by my fellow supporters. I salute every one of those 10,132 fans.

In fact I just found Arace's article: "I am continually surprised by how many Crew fans are still buying tickets. On Wednesday, there were 10,132 people in the stadium. Yes, it was a lovely night for soccer and there was an attractive opponent visiting."

It actually was not that lovely of a night since everywhere you looked (or stepped) was rain water (and who knows what else since the "owners" do not give a crap about maintaining our cathedral). The guys were tired. The fans seemed tired. I blame all of the feeds from Austin fricking Texas.

Coupe repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I appreciate what Arace is doing to a point. But he needs another pitch.

He's been writing that same article bi-weekly for months now. This isn't to put down the 10,000 plus that showed up (especially after seeing more pictures of neglect all around the stadium) but that was the lowest recorded attendance in last night's league games by over 5,000 people. Yes, the other attendances were likely inflated, yes so was ours in past seasons.

I don't know the answer. I'm tired. I don't blame the fans for being tired. I'm sure Arace is tired of writing the same article as well. It just feels like everything is simply running in place at the moment.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the "tired" bit. I'm not even sure I care much about the World Cup. Had someone told me that two years ago, I'd have thought they were insane....

Ch(Elsey) and Dan Milton repped this.
  18. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That was awesome! I was there watching that with the grandkids! My wife's leg/pink shoe laces in the background.

SLSHOT01 and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. All of us are tired. Let our exhaustion bring us together, hang.

I am not sure what else is left to say or do. All I know is to keep showing up and keep watching. And I suppose to keep communicating with my dear old friends of BS Crew.

20. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It seemed to me that the team and the crowd seemed deflated last night - from the onset.

- Too many games in too short a period of time? Legitimate factor I suppose
    - Will Trapp having jet lag? Also legitimate
    - Wednesday game? Seemed to affect my energy level
    - Atlanta is a very good team? Well, there is that....

But I also wonder about other factors. We (the team and the fans) have been pretty beaten down over the past eight months. It is fatiguing. Although IMO, the Austin CC meeting revealed how far away they are from finalizing anything, if at all, every time I see these guys courting Austin, it feels like a punch to the stomach. It's not like I don't know it is happening, but I suppose I try to look the other way and hope for the best. But watching it really makes me sick. Body blows over an extended period of time eventually take a toll.

Our team perhaps used this mess to conjure up some spirited, impassioned play this year. That was completely absent last night. Maybe the break will help. But driving home last night was definitely among the low points in my fandom. Perhaps I need a breather.............before I can get back in the game full strength.

But apart from Lalas, who continues to impress me, our guys played very poorly last night with very low intensity - especially for such a big game.

I do hope Trapp's issue was jet lag. Yikes!

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I get yelled at by the wannabe moderators about not talking about the play on the field (dddepreeesssssing) and rather about things surrounding the game, I will add this one bit, Jaybir:

To get to last night's game, my little family had to jump through an obstacle course of logistics. (Too detailed to go into.)

But we made it to the game. Somehow. And after all of that, as I was a few minutes away from our house in Green, Ohio, I had a moment where I:

1) Kicked myself for going,
    2) Knew it might be one of the last times,
    3) ** Could not get a smile off of my face, as I drove with the windows down, glad that we were able to take in that poor, poor game. That strange moment when you are hit once again with the feeling of "wise men say, only fools rush in.." and you know it to be true. All over again. Falling in love, again and again.

You said you were with your family last night? Awesome. I am sure you cherish those memories. I know I do and will. We are fortunate. Hold strong my friend. And hope for the best.

Body blows? Headed for a Thrilla in Manilla...

Coupe and Jaybir repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Higuain and Trapp should not have started they both were lathergic. If Clark is exhausted start Abu. I think we did a bad job of rotating the midfield and this is the Concern I have with Higuaín. He should not be a DP because he can’t consistently perform. Santos is not performing as many have mentioned unless you count falling down and drawing fouls.We have no quality at back up striker.

We need a back up striker ASAP and we need to move Santos after this season and get a real DP winger unless he starts producing goals

Coupe repped this.
  23. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh, and one comment on the game itself - a particular pet peeve of mine -

While we have a terrific system for advancing the ball to the wing position in the final third, when I see four of our guys standing (and I mean standing) in a perfectly straight line with the winger (parallel to the back line) I should probably just take the opportunity to order a beer. Even if the winger gets off a cross (which they often do) the odds of us scoring like that are ridiculously low. Only one of those guys is over 5 feet tall - going against their back line. Our system of movement can't stop once we get to the 18.

ibrew repped this.
  24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure there is a team hangover right now.

1) Lots of games in short time frame = tired. I think the Crew have played the most games of any team so far.

2) Where the team will be next year? A few of the players have to make mundane everyday decisions soon to live their lives. Surprise they are human too. School enrollment, apartment leases, new car, etc all get more complicated not by how you play but because your trust fund owner wants more crunchy tunes. Yes after months it takes your toll especially when when you are tried.

3) This team has a tendency to give 1 shot and goal and 1 goal. Or 2 shots on goal and 2 goals. That is hard to mentally come back from.

4) Atlanta is a organized team and unlike most teams in the league can change tactics. I don't think Atlanta expected the press from Columbus and it left them off kilter for a while but they handled it. The second goal was a pure read of the Crew pushing the wingbacks way up the field.

5) Missing so many open opportunities is demoralizing.

Let's hope a little rest can help and an other attacker (not that Precourt will pay for one).

TRUJDUB and Jaybir repped this.
  25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, the players are only human. Yes, they may be tired. Yes, the uncertainty of the move may be affecting them.

Also, a team that is starting Pedro Santos and Christian Martinez on the wings isn't gonna be a top 2-3 team in this league.

CrewV Man repped this.