Columbus Crew vs A Soccer Team Based in a City of Overrated Bands | Match 20 - July 6, 2019 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jul 4, 2019.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 7/6/19 match vs Seattle?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Win by two or more goals

10.3%
  2. Win by one goal

12.8%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

2.6%
  4. Lose by one goal

20.5%
  5. Caleb Porter Disasterclass (formerly Lose by two or more goals)

41.0%
  6. Sunshine of Your Love: Crew score ≥3 goals and win (worth 2 points!!)

10.3%
  7. "Damn enter key." - @chr1st

2.6%
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MM speaks wisely here.

Crognale is a prime example of why the Crew needs - and Bez intends to get - a USL team.

Hes a young player at a very demanding position who needs a stable environment in which to settle in, learn and grow. Here's hoping the team can provide him with something better than a 2 week loan to Bumf*ck FC in USL 5.

As for all this outrage over CB9K "tossing him under the bus" IMO it's flat out nonsense. He did call him out by name for a mistake, and we can debate how wise that was but people are acting g like he just trashed the guy and I didnt see that.

LaMacchia and Minnman repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is a bit of a different tone than Monday when you said this....

What changed?

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang.

You are about as subtle as a brick through a window.

You, the brick.

Me, the window.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As for Crognale. We don't have a USL or Crew 2 team right now. Sure we could send him out on loan, but what really is the point of him playing under a different coach in front of 1500 people in Pittsburgh blowing vuvuuzelas?

This season is a loss, but it doesn't need to be a complete loss. You can find out A LOT more about a Crognale or Aboubacar Keita by throwing them into the fire this season.

Let's go back to 2004. I'm not by any means comparing Crognale or Keita to Chad Marshall. Marshall was maybe the greatest center back in MLS history. But who was he paired with in 2004 and 2005? A gentleman who doesn't get enough credit, Robin Fraser.

In 2019 we have Jonathan Mensah. After a rough start in MLS he's been our best and most consistent defender for over a year now. He's seen as a leader in the locker room. He's a DP. He has international experience.

It's a perfect opportunity to pair one of these young guys, Keita or Crognale, with Mensah for the majority of the remainder of the season. Porter could take them both aside and say tell them the rest of the season is a competition between the two of them for that spot alongside Mensah.

A player like Josh Williams should NEVER be starting over them at this point in this season. From time to time you might have Sauro in there for either of them, or for Mensah. But we need to look at the reality of the situation and give these guys a chance.

Tobias C, chr1st, Draghignazzo and 2 others repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing. I dont see the difference between saying Porter was pointing his finger and saying that Porter called him out.

Perhaps, with your far superior parsing skills you can show what that's being inconsistent.

Furthermore,in neither case did I endorse it. I said it wasnt cool and then I said the wisdom of what he did was debateable or some such.

I stand by both statements, see no inconsistency and wonder why you've become a one note hatebag

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Calm down, sugar lips....

I was just looking for some clarification there. Obviously you pointed at the Colorado coach who used the same tack, and was in your words "universally roasted" and eventually shit canned. It's quite probable that in that universal roasting some people probably considered that Hudson had "thrown his team under the bus" others may have seen this as merely "pointing fingers." I'm was not sure where either stands for you on the level of outrage, but now I understand that pointing fingers is much less offensive than throwing under the bus, though I am admittedly uncertain where the line is drawn.

All that said, it's pretty clear we agree that his tack was similar to that of Anthony Hudson, and it wasn't cool, and that coaches who don't have the security of a 5 year/5 million dollar deal are typically universally roasted for such outbursts.

Good talk.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we can chat about this at the next game. Oh wait, you won't be there, will you? Maybe the one after that?

KCbus and stanger repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hahahaha! Nothing like a good attendance burn! We can't even get people in Columbus to buy discounted tickets to watch this train wreck in person, but I'm gonna spend $500 on a round trip. I mean I even see James complaining about the price of nachos and hot dogs. No, thank you!

I'll tell ya what. My wife gets free tickets through her hospital for NYCFC games, we even get all those bells and whistles and access to the clubs and all that bullshit. Maybe I'll see you August 21st. I'll get us extras I'll make up the spare bedroom for you. I'll give you the key to my liquor cabinet. I'll knit together all my crew scarves into one giant blanket for you. Between the gin and the comfort of the blanket you'll sleep like a baby. We can take a sunrise walk along the banks of the Hudson with Pete Seeger's ghost. We'll discuss everything from Akwari to Zardes and Zayner. We'll live like kings. We can be heroes, if just for one day.

I'll see you soon, baby. Can't wait.

9. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expected.

Maybe you can start supporting NYCFC? At least you can go bitch at their fans in person!

Bill Archer and hangthadj repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a complete pile of nonsense.

Ch(Elsey) and hangthadj repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nah man. I bleed black and gold. Besides I have too many friends and relationships from 20 years of supporting this team to turn back now. People that I speak to on a daily basis through text or whats app. Friends that I see from time to time at different east coast stadiums as they and I travel to support our team.

You said a while back that all that matters is enjoying this season with your family. Nothing else. (Except for your more than occasional shift on the fan police beat, I guess). I too have Crew family. It's in my blood, heart, and soul. There's no turning back, man.

chr1st and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wishful thinking, I know. After all, we probably crossed paths over 200 times between 2000 and 2008, and we never even had a formal introduction. I don't hold it against ya. Life's too short.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute. Is this offer only extended to Archer?

Draghignazzo, hangthadj and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I really just want to drink all his Aperol.

kgilbert78 and hangthadj repped this.
  15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's relatively open though some terms and conditions apply differently, depending on the guest. For instance, I'd be terrified to give @Hamburgler03 or @DrunkandDisorderly the key to my liquor cabinet.

TKyle, DGA57v2, kgilbert78 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Both have succumbed to age and maturity. You're *mostly* safe.

17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't threaten me with a good time.

Ch(Elsey), Draghignazzo and hangthadj repped this.
  18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'mYourHuckleberry.gif

19. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's not how you do it, @LaMacchia!

Ch(Elsey) and LaMacchia repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately will Jakob Dylan be the substitute for David Bowie?

21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In times of dire need - and following an unsuccessful .gif search - I often resort to the "insert well known tagline with '.gif' at the end" comment.

It works in a pinch.

BigStern and hangthadj repped this.
  22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill can be as much of a grump as anyone around here. When HE, of all people, is so worn out by your negative schtick that he thinks you have a stick up your ass, you probably don't need to wait for the x-ray to come back.

TKyle, stanger and hangthadj repped this.
  23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #273 Draghignazzo, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    I say, that was the joke, son.

FoghornLeghorn.gif

LaMacchia repped this.
  24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why is this still stickied ( how do you spell that ?)

LaMacchia repped this.
  25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complain that.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.