Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Columbus Crew owner Anthony Precourt is set to move team to Austin, Texas, in 2019 if downtown stadium can't happen in Columbus. Story soon.

Grant Wahl

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this kind of stuff and I hate that the sports watching public at large accepts it. I don't believe it should be part and parcel with sports in this country. At the very least, if they do move, leave all the history and name in Columbus.

bgix, shizzle787, Chesco United and 14 others repped this.
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Especially when it doesn't seem too likely that the franchise is bleeding money out anything like that...

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a reason I increasingly hate the American system.

Relocation and the threat there in.

My Kings saw the owners try to move the team to Seattle, Anaheim and Vegas. Was a miracle they stayed. Supersonics fans weren't so lucky.

But now the Raiders are in fact leaving, my NFL team. Now the NFL is dead to me.

I despise owners moving a team.

bgix, shizzle787, Tobias C and 15 others repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Crew fan, I don’t appreciate the tease, either. Either give us the story or don’t.

7. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    A team using relocation as the bargaining chip to gain a new stadium?

MLS is now officially a major league in the U.S.

RafaLarios, bgix, shizzle787 and 24 others repped this.
  8. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is spectacularly effed up, especially considering the timeline

TOAzer, Honore de Ballsac and Boloni86 repped this.
  9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now?

Smurfquake repped this.
  10. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should have to sell the Crew and purchase new Austin rights. So for entity and all.

11. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Hopefully the story will answer these questions, but...

1. What exactly does he want from the City of Columbus? If he wants money to build the stadium, I think he has overestimated the Crew's importance. If it is working on getting the land and the Crew would pay for everything, then maybe this would work.

2. Where on Earth would they play in Austin? UT's stadium?

Robbo Crewfan and The Franchise repped this.
  12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS were to leave, they'd never be welcome back.

13. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UT owns everything and hates competition.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  15. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always figured that once expansion was done, there would be a spat of franchise moves. Has to figure Columbus was going to be under threat to be enticed away by a bigger market, especially one that losses out in the expansion lottery.

The surprise is that it’s now and that it’s Austin. I’m a little familiar with Columbus and thought there was an intriguing idea about bringing the team downtown. I don’t know what the roadblocks were. Assuming this is brinksmanship - is there a chance of a deal happening?

16. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    All we need now is for a really good Crew team to win MLS Cup in Columbus. This is some shitty stuff.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  17. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Noooooo

I don't want an MLS without a Columbus team :cry:

Aaron d, DoyleG, Tobias C and 9 others repped this.
  18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And, "A consortium of Columbus businessmen have been trying to work with Precourt to find a local solution. They have scouted locations for a potential Downtown stadium and made offers to purchase all or part of the franchise. Precourt has demurred.

Putting it all together, it really sounds like Austin was the goal all along.

Plus, Precourt sits on the Expansion Committee at MLS, so he's probably working for Cincinnati to get in after he hightails out of Ohio.

20. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Columbus + Cincinnati + Nashville is the problem. I don't see how you get around that issue. That's too many teams in that region. Cincy & Nashville have monster ownership groups and $150+ million stadiums in the works. Hard to see Columbus winning this battle.

Tobias C repped this.
  21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Isn't this also known as Liga MX Pro/Rel?

22. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  23. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Columbus has one of my favorite crests and color schemes in the league, so I would hate to see it go. As someone mentioned, I hope the brand identity stays in Columbus in case a potential future owner wants to resurrect it in some form. I understand the future upside that makes Austin (along with Vegas) the "hot" expansion/relocation market in sports at the moment, but I also feel this is MLS' chance to position itself as the league that won't rip teams out of their cities. Other than Wimbledon FC, clubs aren't supposed to relocate--they are supposed to be so entrenched in their cities and communities that they live and die in them. As insufferable as the pro/rel zealots can be, this is definitely one of the drawbacks of the North American franchise model that irks me to no end.

Tobias C, Robbo Crewfan, artml and 2 others repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Complete and utter garbage. I forgave the initial contraction because it was essentially clubs going out of business. I forgave the next relocation because in the end the Quakes revived themselves. And finally I forgave the Chivas contraction because it essentially amounts to a replacement by LAFC.

But relocating the Crew for stadium politics would end my interest in this league. There would have to be something dire for me to be OK with a contraction ... bankruptcy, attendance collapse, city disappearing in a asteroid hit or something like that. If it's just a case of an owner that doesn't want franchise anymore, the league needs to buy it and keep it in business for a number of years to give time for new potential ownership groups to come in. If you want Austin, sell Columbus to the league first and then go in the back of the expansion line, just like everyone else.

25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Columbus, this kills San Antonio's bid as well. Maybe that's why no info has been coming out of SA if this move has been in the works for a while.