Columbus Crew to be rebranded entirely?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hudson hooligan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strawman. I have numerous Ohio State shirts with the University Crest on it.
    Wiki has the Crest listed as the 1st thing on it's data sidebar.

[​IMG]

I take a lot pride in the Crest of my University. (Oh and it includes the formation date...)

2. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Inter" is abbreviated for International. Inter Milan claims they are part of an International City. Miami, New York and LA could all get away with Inter as their name. Kansas City, Columbus could not.

Oh, a lot of sports Crest include Championships won. I would love to have a Star added to the crest for the 2008 campaign.

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Milan, Wikipedia claims that this is the name's derivation:

also

Based on that definition, "Inter" would fit most pro clubs in the world nowadays.

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew Centre -- QED

Look at all this Black and Gold...

5. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
  6. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you want to make fan-made badges, eat your heart out. Columbus is not a German city, it's an American city, and if you want to not seem like that weird kid who tries too hard to be different, you should do as Americans do.

I don't see how making a concession for "96" because it's meaningful to Germans is somehow more preferable to any other Euro naming convention.

7. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They’ve been pushing the #Crew96 thing a lot on Facebook. I’m not on the “twitters” but I think there’s probably something to it.

8. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    That was the original "official" hashtag for the Crew before the rebrand to #CrewSC. If you recall, once the ownership change took place they went back to #Crew96, partially because during STC people starting using #Crew96 as a dis to Precourt. I don't think it has anything to do with a coming rebrand.

TRUJDUB, Kryptonite and Minnman repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My point was that we don't see a lot of people (anyone?) outside soccer fans referring to a logo as a crest. OSU would refer to that design as a "seal" or "logo."

10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should do as Americans do? Really?

And Columbus has a large German population and heritage. Our supporters section is a German name. I wanted the original Crew Stadium to be built in German Village!

Jesus, even Schmidt's cream puffs are available at our games!
    (Don't eat their warm potato salad, it's a complete travesty compared to my mom's recipe which came directly from Bavaria with her on the boat)

Methinks you have dug yourself too deep a hole to climb out of Mr. Toast.

TyphonInc repped this.
  12. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is, in fact, the University Seal. I used to produce items for OSU and had the official logos, trademarks, fonts and wordmarks on a CD.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Don't forget the dot for bubbleland, the part of Kentucky not connected to the rest.

TyphonInc repped this.
  14. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #139 MelbaToast, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Yes, do as Americans do in America. That's where we are, is it not? Last I checked Columbus is the capital city of a state in the USA. It's not Columbus, Bavaria, Deutschland.

The city has a fairly large (19%, I believe) American population of German descent. It also has a significant population of Italian ancestry, even an Italian Village! I guess we should name it AC Columbus 96.

Or we can just go with Columbus Crew, because we're not trying to single out specific quasi-ethnic groups.

15. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear your opinion, (nothing European allowed, 'Merica!) but it would appear you are the only one with said opinion.

Current Crew Crest has both 96 and SC on it.
    14 MLS teams have imported Euro names into their design.
    And while not common with Sporting teams, the uses of inception date is a pretty common practice across numerous industries.
    Crew fans (right or wrong) take pride in being the 1st MLS team, it's fine to have an indicator somewhere supporting said milestone.

(I did find the Charlotte 49ers, named cause state voted to reinstate school in 49, not cause of the Gold Rush out west)

16. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, bubbleland, if they switch their crop from cotton to Mary Jane they could boom their population back over 300 again.

17. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Many people find the use of European naming conventions in MLS to be silly pandering to a particular segment of the soccer population (Eurosnobs), and I happen to agree with them that it’s silly. I find it out of place and isolating to casual sports fans in this country who don’t really understand why a team is called United, FC, or the like (or they do and likewise find it dumb to copy the naming conventions of other places in the world).

It doesn’t make you superior or “cultured” to want to copy European naming conventions. And it makes you immature to want to do it just to be different or to spite those typical “‘Muricans” you apparently have an issue
    with.

It’s fine to incorporate the founding year into various things. Making it the actual name of the team, however, isn’t a good idea. This has already been discussed.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact. When SJ moved to Houston, they let the fans vote on the new name. They voted for Houston 1886 or something like that, forget the exact year. Anywho, FO said fvck that and went with Houston Dynamo. That more American name really made a difference.

TyphonInc repped this.
  19. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Not completely true. The team chose Houston 1836 to celebrate Texas's independence from Mexico, and Mexicans/Mexican-Americans complained, so they surrendered.

More info here: https://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/1836-more-memorable-after-MLS-club-uproar-1880958.php

and here: https://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-tainted-history-of-the-dynamo-team-name/

Pauncho and djtrinidad repped this.
  20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not completely true either. It was chosen because it was the year the city of Houston was founded.

(That happens to coincide with the year Texas declared it's independence from Mexico. Which was deemed insensitive to Mexican-Americans.)

21. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In conclusion, MLS has a long, sad history of badly named teams and name proposals

TRUJDUB, TKyle and CybrSlydr repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Burn-Wiz Classico, anyone?

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confession:
    I thought MetroStars was a good name.
    Not the logo, or the stupid taxi cab, mind you.
    Just the name.

ZipSix and TRUJDUB repped this.
  24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confession(s):
    I have no preference between Euro and American style naming conventions. I never felt "slapped in the face" by SC. I will happily and proudly wear whatever they produce. I find this whole discussion confusing and pointless.

They could rebrand to Columbus Soccer Boys and put Chico's Bail Bonds on the shirt and I'd pay the $150 for that piece of shit generic adidas template without a second thought. And a couple of hats, too.

YeahMorgan and TyphonInc repped this.
  25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States