Columbus Crew to be rebranded entirely?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hudson hooligan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think team naming conventions are also quite different than whether someone says field or pitch, shirt or jersey, cleats or boots, and even crest or logo.

2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 TKyle, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    View attachment 162733

This happened???
    Guess I didn’t notice.
    Was it mainly Laughlame? I don’t recall Dwight and Neil doing so on broadcasts.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100%

Theres a huge difference between doing things out of a desire to slavishly ape the way things are done in Europe and following conventions which are universal to the sport.

Tobias C, TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we’re on the subject of naming conventions and eurosnobbery, can we all agree that the new stadium should NOT be named something like Crew Arena??This is not Europe (or Harrison, NJ); this is the midwest, where arenas are for basketball and hockey in the wintertime!

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never listen to our broadcast team so I don't know about that.

6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the name will have a sponsor by the time it comes around to that - but I've always liked "Crew Stadium"

Feraligatr19 and the_rickler repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 Bill Archer, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    The guy who owns the Bang Brothers website made an apparently legitimate offer.for the naming rights to the new stadium in Miami.

It was pretty low ( $10 million or so) and had zero chance of being accepted even.if it.had been.bigger, but the thought of Beckhams team taking the field at Bang Brothers Stadium just warms the heart

shoplifter and kgilbert78 repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of the push to have the owner of the Lions Den video chain, who lives in Columbus, become the Crew shirt sponsor. Someone even dummied up a shirt design, which I cant find now

Classic.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For New Lockhart or the other one?

10. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Durex Stadium, anyone?

11. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some will complain if a MLS team's branding looks "too American", ie, lifted from the big-four sports. "MLS 1.0 logos..."

Others will complain if it looks "too European." "Lol Real FC City United 96!" What a fresh take...

Some want a third logo in less than 6 years. Some think this is required to erase the history of the Snake. As if he's the guy that drew it up (reports are it was done in-house by people who actually cared about the team).

I'm convinced that if you change all of those things, it won't stop your complaining. You'll have a new set of things to complain about, and then THREE logos to debate about instead of two.

I'm also convinced this doesn't drastically affect team performance. Or attendance. Or corporate sponsorship. In fact, changing things again could make the franchise look like a schizophrenic, floundering mess that the ownership is desperately trying to salvage. Isn't that the narrative #SaveTheCrew was fighting against?

Keep to logo. Keep the name.

KCbus, Tobias C, LaMacchia and 3 others repped this.
  12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Bez/Haslams/the Powers that Be take this into serious consideration.

TyphonInc, Tobias C and Belgrano repped this.
  13. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Our defense stretches...but never breaks!™

14. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    *Only 98% Effective

redi44crew, TyphonInc, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  15. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, you don't want to honor the Bruce?

TKyle repped this.
  16. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think anyone had a problem with MLS 1.0 names being American, except for Eurosnobs, Anglophiles, Canadians, and the like. That said, it's hard to believe names like Kansas City Wiz and Dallas Burn got green lights.

17. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England can probably hold on to Bruce for a while if they can finally get a new stadium built in Boston and call it Bruce Arena.

ZipSix repped this.
  18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adjustments.JPG

Robbo Crewfan and the_rickler repped this.
  19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn’t have enough capacity for his ego.

Robbo Crewfan, zman31, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  20. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally dont hate all the European ripoff names. I'm not a particular fan of any of them but they mostly dont bother me, besides Real Salt Lake which sounds ridiculous to me. I think I'm one of the few people who actually likes the name Inter Miami that I've come across.

With that said, I'm an opponent of us changing much. Black and yellow colors are off limits and non-negotiable for me. I wouldn't be mad if they changed the logo but I really dont see any need when the current one was so well recieved. Maybe you just touch it up a bit if the name is altered but thats it. I do like the idea of using the state of Ohio for a crest though, but probably just as an alternate one. Could we trademark using the shape of the state of Ohio for soccer/MLS purposes just to stake our claim against Cincinnati?

When it comes to the name, I dont think theres anything you can change short of removing "Crew" and maybe using "96". Nothing else though. SC doesnt bother me, I can take it or leave it as long as I'm not slapped cross the face with it constantly. The biggest change to the name that I could still possibly come to terms with and stomach is Columbus 96. It would kind of be like throwing a bone to Eurosnobs with the German style year in the name (Schalke 04, Hannover 96, etc) but is obviously relevant to the team. Fans would still call them the Crew anyway.

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    [​IMG]

Rebrand complete.

22. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Vancouver Yoga Pants vs Columbus Lacey C-Cups

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does he have two doughnuts on the end of his schlong?

24. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Ray Hudson, that's Cristiano Ronaldo, a.k.a. The Dark Invader. Those "doughnuts" are MLS Cup rings he will win when he descends from the heavens in his football spacecraft and blesses us with his magisterial presence.

TKyle repped this.
  25. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Unlike counterparts in England, Spain or Italy, German clubs have a knack of adorning their date of foundation with great importance. They treat their foundation date with such reverence that it almost always forms a part of the official club name – 1860 Munich, Schalke 04, Bayer 04 (Leverkusen), Mainz 05, BVB 09 (Dortmund), Hannover 96. Many more at least carry the dates in their club badge, like Bochum, Düsseldorf, St. Pauli or Duisburg do. VfB Stuttgart’s logo read ’1893′ but not ‘Stuttgart’ until 1999. These dates mark an important era of the beginning of football in Germany."
    From: http://bombaybavarian.blogspot.com/2011/07/story-behind-german-club-names.html

If the choice was to have 96, FC or SC in the title I would pick 96 every time.
    I found it interesting that Stuttgart had their inception date on their crest but not their name.

You are right American teams don't include dates in their titles or badges. But I don't think it is forced or meaningless to include the date. MLS is always half @SS assigning Euro trends to american clubs, I think adding a date would be the least of the Euro infractions we as fans have had to suffer.