Columbus Crew to be rebranded entirely?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hudson hooligan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could make it a fundraiser for Childrens Hospital or someplace: a special pay urinal.where you pay a dollar to piss on Precourts face.

I smell bonanza

the_rickler, Robbiegoal and TKyle repped this.
  3. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Make an effigy of Precourt and put it in one of those dunk tanks. #CrewCarnival

4. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we were typical cringy MLS- they would go with "Columbus United" and use the Save the Crew story as to how it 'united' Columbus. I would puke.

5. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #RespectYourRoots

hungariansteven repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Real Columbus United Crew SC 96

Jk

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) I dont care that much whether they change the badge. I like the new one fine, but I didnt hate the old one either. Nevertheless, I believe that they WILL change it when they move into the new place. Because marketing.

B) I am equally positive that they will rename it Crew96.

stanger and the_rickler repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delete your account.

Seriously. Do it. I want all record of this idea to disappear. This is just stupid enough that I could see it happening for real.

Bill Archer and hungariansteven repped this.
  9. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    CRaft brEW

Coincidence?

hangthadj repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was watching City play Wolves for a bit this morning. Those Wolves jerseys are nice--and they are an adidas template. I'd not complain if we turned out in those next season.

11. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Real' is the worse offender of adding Euro names. Real means Royal, and it was added to teams who requested to play on behalf of the Spanish royalty. Real Salt Lake doesn't play on behalf of any Royalty. They thought Real Madrid sounded like a cool name and asked the team if they could use it. Real Madrid's lawyers responded that they couldn't stop a foreign team from using the designation, and the Salt Lake Club now claims they are friends with Real Madrid. :confused:

Almost as bad the term "United" was used when two clubs from a local area united to form one new club. There was never 2 Football clubs in DC that united to form the current DC Untied. :alien: No merger for Atlanta. :mad: And Minnesota also didn't start as 2 different teams. :(

"FC/SC" many Athletic organizations in Europe host academies that play numerous sports. 1 in 3 Germans are part such organizations. Manchester United has 18,000 people participating in their club. (https://www.mufoundation.org/en/About-Us) The closest I can think of here in Columbus is the Parks and Rec system where anyone can sign up for various sports. Under the academy system it makes sense to differentiate between your Football Club (FC) and everything else (academy, under 23, Rugby, Golf Club, etc.)

There is only one Columbus Crew, we don't need a designation to tell the Columbus Crew Soccer Club apart from the non-existing Columbus Crew Rugby Club. Some US clubs now have 2nd tier teams as well as academies, as such, marking which group is the top club with FC/SC now makes a little more sense.

The Euro names were added on for marketing, not because they had actual meaning. It's part of the reason MLS is the laughing stock of the rest of the Football world. There many other reason such as our pointy handball game is called football instead of our actual football game. Our league is called Major League SOCCER, but consists of almost half of the teams calling themselves football clubs. The list goes on and on.

On Topic - I wouldn't be opposed to a refresh of the Crew look. But not for, as the title states a "rebranded entirely". I've felt since it was released the current crest is too "busy". I know why we have the stripes, I just don't feel their are needed or add significance to our team. I also don't think we need the SC on there, there is only one Crew. I wouldn't be opposed if the circle morphed into the shape of Ohio, now that would be cool and add unique significant meaning to the crest.

Tobias C, Belgrano, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  12. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I like Crew96 and dropping the stupid SC. I was never a huge fan of the new crest and thought it was something anyone could have done with a few hours screwing around in Microsoft paint. Now that Save The Crew crest was a thing of beauty! Something like that with the city’s skyline would be cool. Black and gold and the “Crew” name absolutely has to stay. I don’t think the powers that be would be dumb enough to change those.

13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, y'all really hate good marketing.

I think we all know it's superfluous, but it's also harmless and fun. Aren't sports supposed to be fun?

14. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don’t understand the love of “Crew96”, either. I don’t think it would connect with the general Columbus population. It’s as out of place and forced as any Euro copied thing.

A return to just “Columbus Crew” with a simplified crest is all that’s needed if that sort of rebrand is going to happen. They could also bring back the village people crest for an alternate uniform.

CybrSlydr and LaMacchia repped this.
  15. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 96 is as authentic as anything else we could possibly put on a crest.

If you see that as being somehow out of place, there can be nothing that could be considered in place.

16. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's out of place in the sporting context. We don't name teams "Reds 1881", "Browns 46", or "Blue Jackets 2000". Doing so is as foreign and forced as slapping FC/SC, United, Dynamo, etc. on the team.

Robbo Crewfan, CybrSlydr and crew2112 repped this.
  17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh.

Reds do use their history and old logos. The Jackets don't really have any history to speak of and aren't a founding member of the league.

Agree to disagree.

TyphonInc and LainfordExpress repped this.
  18. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The incorporation of the year the team was founded into various things is a lot different than making it part of the actual name of the team.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there can be no winner here, have a nice day.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #95 Bill Archer, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Schalke04 seems comfortable with it.

I utterly detest the SC though. It's a constant reminder of the contemptible swine who hung it around our necks while simultaneously conspiring to steal or team and our heritage.

And I notice that said porcine waste of oxygen didnt use it with his new team down in PoopOnTheSidewalkville, proving that not even the soulless sons of Thai whores who gave it to us actually like it.

Every damn time I hear some ball of leftover dog turds say Crew SC all I hear is Fatso McShitbags laughing at us.

I get that if they're going to do a big rebrand they want to do it all at once but why cant they just quietly drop the SC? Just stop saying it and stop using it. Wouldn't cost a damned thing

Tobias C, ZipSix, TKyle and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    As the FIRST team to sell the minimum number of season tickets to enter the league,Columbus 96 or Columbus Crew 96 is not out of reason!!

22. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our original crest only had "The Crew" on it. Everyone obviously referred to the team as "Columbus Crew", despite our crest which lasted until 2014. Precourt rightly thought the word "Columbus" should be included in the crest. His re-brand was actually the only thing I respect him for during his terrible tenure, and hell yes, the name of our city should be included in the crest. Although the "SC" part rings hollow, as many have previously pointed out. Some are saying change the team name to "Crew 96", I say add "Columbus" and definitely dump the "SC". A logical re-brand at this point would be "Columbus Crew 96". Celebrate our city and the year we began MLS play. "Crew 96" does not cut it for me. No rebrand should change our colors, keep the black and gold(yellow) forever!

Tobias C repped this.
  23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t AP want the Columbus dropped, insisting Crew SC be the name?

24. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, once the hijack to Austin wheels were in motion, AP and his minions stopped using the word "Columbus".

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But seemingly everyone and their brother uses the word "crest" like it's an American thing, but you don't hear about the Browns crest or the OSU crest.