Columbus Crew to be rebranded entirely?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hudson hooligan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It just speaks to priorities.

Beer. Beer. And more Beer >>>>>>> Our Roots.

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long would it take Bigsoccer to change this board's name? Three years? I mean some teams did not get logos until a few months ago.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiming in from a Speed Queen laundromat in Barcelona. Don’t dare fvcking touch the yellow you rat bastards.

That is all. Carry on.

Feraligatr19, Indy83, Tobias C and 4 others repped this.
  4. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Are you talking about the Precourt Pavillion? Yes, they definitely didn't mention it either.

5. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #SaveTheCrew

ZipSix, Feraligatr19, Indy83 and 3 others repped this.
  6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem to be the case that, for the past several years, the club has moved to a more equal and split use of black and yellow in its uniforms. Previously, our jerseys often had the two colors more mixed together. Leaving the 2016 aberration out of the conversation, in the past white was also used a lot, too.

More recently, we've gone to a solid black uniform with yellow highlights and a solid yellow uniform with black highlights. We used to sometimes mix things up (yellow top/black shorts) but that no longer seems to be a thing (which is okay by me).

The stadium renderings were essentially two-tone: black and yellow, but with the black roof being a dominating visual statement. The seats, as someone has pointed out, seem to be intermixed. The players were wearing either solid black or solid yellow uniforms. Fans, for the most part, were depicted wearing yellow. LED board showed a lot of yellow.

I have a hard time imagining the team would even consider dropping or dramatically paring yellow in our primary color scheme, and nothing we've seen implies that. However, every year the Crew sports some of the best, most classic and distinctive uniforms in the league, and IMHO our black uniforms look fantastic. Limiting the use of yellow would be stupid, but so too would be backing away form black. In short, our color scheme ain't broke, so I don;t see why anyone would want to fix it.

Note, though, that we'll have anew "black" jersey next year. And we should have a new "yellow" one when we move into the new stadium

7. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc's tweet the other day about something along lines of "more big things to come" had me wondering if we won't get a new jersey unveiled sooner rather than later. But then again, MLS seems to control that process with most teams releasing their version around the same time right before each season.

8. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who else is excited for our rebrand to "The Columbus Crew of Ohio State" with Scarlet and Gray colors?

TyphonInc repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Yellow with black highlights as primary and black with yellow as secondary.

The 3rds should be the 98's, white with yellow stripes & black trim. Or STC jerseys.

All references to SC, FC, Real, athletic(o), or any of that should be immediately dropped forever. It makes sense to distinguish the football club from the rugby or basketball team in Europe, but otherwise it is non-sensical, useless crap.

The crest is fine, but I understand if all PSV era stuff needs to go. New one must be STC related.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0298E348-C678-459A-A890-9C5CBC38F79B.gif

Indy83, hungariansteven and the_rickler repped this.
  11. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Rumor has it that they're going to name one of the commodes after you. Can't wait to "Drop a 'drulis" in your honor.

Better petition the construction company to make sure that your flush sounds that wee bit louder so that we know that it's you.

Indy83, stanger, jairadballerina and 2 others repped this.
  12. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not my jurisdiction.

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never understood this. What's the harm in it?

Why does all PSV era stuff need to go? That crest is a thing of beauty, was designed in house, and is unique to the league.

And why does anything new need to be STC related? That chapter of our history, though extremely important, is closed.

I'm not busting your balls, I just legitimately don't understand the thinking. You're not the first person I've heard with this viewpoint.

15. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    S/F C ..fixed

Draghignazzo repped this.
  16. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Im disappointed nobody called out that the new team will be the same colors as the browns and the team will be branded Columbus Browns SC. We dont want the FC to confuse the pointyball club up north.

17. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reminds me... [​IMG]

Sagz repped this.
  18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_1873.JPG

Paul171121 repped this.
  19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC, and SC to some extent, sounds so Eurosnobby. Kinda like Sporting KC and Real SL. This is ‘Murica.
    I say keep the name Columbus Crew SC for letterhead, etc, but in the media we are called Columbus Crew.
    I do like the thought and symbolism, as well as the better colors, in our rebranded logo (it’s not 75% grey and black like the constuction guys.)
    But I HATE the circle. Philly, Atlanta, NYCFCDEFG, Portland, and soon-to-be Miami all have round logos. I want a unique shape.
    I still think a stylized, shield-shape of Ohio would be cool. (And too bad, FC Food Lion. You can use Kentucky!)

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair, thanks for the response.

TKyle repped this.
  21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ, what an abomination...

22. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I'm indifferent to a crest change. I think the existing one is great but can understand the thought process in the new FO wanting to imprint. I'd be wary though, the existing badge is a high bar to cross.

Moving away from yellow would be a mistake and I sincerely hope this is just a rumor, the likes of which we haven't seen since Crew2Vegas (as in something that's close to true i.e. a threat of relocation as the brand revamp but final product different). I also question the possibility of this move. Yellow, black and white are the only colors we have to use. Moving away from yellow leaves black and white. That doesn't inspire creativeness. A complete color change to avoid looking like the Steelers seems like a complete overreaction to a small subset of people who won't ever like soccer anyways.

A change from SC to FC is dumb. The right move has always been to just move away from it quietly. Not move away from using SC for a year and then enforcing FC the next year. Puts you right back to where you began trying to force something that feels the exact level of clunky that you worked to avoid already.

Thank you for tuning into this episode of BigSternTakes.

TKyle repped this.
  23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the smaller disappointments for me this season was the way "SC" was still so commonly forced into spoken and written (especially the former) references to the team. It wasn't as brutal as under the previous regime - where I imagined broadcasters receiving an electrical shock if they failed to refer to the club as "Columbus Crew SC" each and every time they mentioned the club's name - but it's still annoying.

Pretty much this. There are other clubs that, technically, are "SC" or "FC" but don't stupidly ram that suffix down your throat (Chicago, for instance; you never hear them call themselves "Fire FC"), other clubs that have bought wholeheartedly into the SC/FC thing (like LA or NYC). But it just sounds clunky and borderline ridiculous in our situation. I mean, we're a soccer club? Who knew? And I think the fanbase has moved on from caring too much about whether we can it football or soccer.

Tobias C and TKyle repped this.
  24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

25. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Put me down as someone who is more interested in signing better players and a competent coach than in what our logo/badge/crest looks like.

#CrazyTalk

CybrSlydr, djtrinidad and LaMacchia repped this.