Columbus Crew to be rebranded entirely?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hudson hooligan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Browns used to wear all white uniforms 90% of the time. Teams had home and away unis and the road team gets to pick. The Browns always chose white on the road and then normally at home the visitors would elect to.wear.their primary so the Browns wore white then too.

And on the odd occasion when the visitors wanted to wear white - I think Dallas used to do the same thing- the Browns would wear brown but it always looked odd. And orange - never

It was just their thing. When the team came back in 99 they started wearing brown shirts but it's not traditional

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Enough Browns talk your making me sick the team and colors are repulsive

WHO DEY

Ueberjames repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

TKyle repped this.
  4. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says one of the only guys in local media who gives a shit.

Tobias C, 614life, DAFCrew and 3 others repped this.
  6. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

Repulsive? I. Think. Not.

7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My recollection is of the late 70’s/early 80’s, when they almost always wore the white jerseys and orange pants—home and away, as you said. I think it was the mid-80’s that they went to brown jerseys at home and changed to white pants. Brown pants only made a recent appearance. S#!tting their pants jokes aside, I don’t mind the brown pants with white jerseys (or the all-brown color rush). The orange pants are ok I guess—but they do seem a little cloying.

I do think they should wear brown, not white, jerseys at home since they, well, you know, are the Browns.

aetraxx7, DAFCrew and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MC Hammer
    MC Ren
    Young MC
    Crew MC...or would it be Cru MC?

9. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MC 900 ft Jeebus

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a beer geek, the "Cru" that came to mind was this one:

[​IMG]

kgilbert78 repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have one!

Ueberjames repped this.
  12. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe the rebrand was just trading hometown boy Wil Trapp

13. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Hey, we found our jersey sponsor.

14. savetore

savetore New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Nov 3, 2019
    Any word on this?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is as good a place as any to post this (which is subscription only):

Why Columbus Crew SC wants to build a national brand before its new stadium opens

Nothing particularly shocking in the article. The good news is that the club sounds as though it has "ambition" when it comes to wanting to create broader, national recognition for the team, and they see Croci as someone with the national marketing experience to accomplish that (Lyons is quoted as saying she understands "how to build brands on a global scale.":
    Second, while national recognition is a goal, local ticket sales were the primary metric referenced, as well as "fan-generated sales including concessions and merchandise." So, reading between the lines, I assume they want the Crew to become a club that starts selling a lot of merchandise nationally? Sounds good to me. Making it more available in Central Ohio would be a god idea, too.

Third, it's about linking the club's effort to Columbus:

Finally, Lyons links this effort most directly to the product on the field. The Crew needs to acquire, retain and "build up" stars "such as forward Gyasi Zardes to the stature of a Lebron James or a Tom Brady." Good luck with that, but might as well aim high, I suppose.

I can't imagine having much of a national brand presence when we almost never appear on national TV. The club must believe that the new stadium will translate into at least a temporary increase in the club's appearances on national networks. Maybe they believe a perpetually winning side will naturally get on TV more. In any event, it sounds as though they don't plan on accepting a role as a perpetual member of the invisible supporting cast in MLS. It's funny how Lyons mentions Atlanta, LAFC and KC, but not Portland, which to me is a similarly sized market that clearly is closely linked to the city and gets more press than its market size would imply.

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good share, thank you.

17. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CybrSlydr repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSinCleveland repped this.
  20. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus Dilley used to work at Adidas so I hope he knows the limitations and how to work within them. Per his twitter profile:

Founder of
    @DilleyStudio
    and Freelance Apparel/ Graphic Designer
    @Wimbledon
    . Former Apparel/Graphic Designer
    @adidasfootball

Edit: Also the agreement starts with the 2022 kit.

MLSinCleveland, kgilbert78 and LaMacchia repped this.
  21. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really love this. The Crew has severely lacked quality apparel for years now. Every once in awhile you can snag a good on field product but they are few and far between.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when they had that "Season Ticket Member Advisory Board" or whatever it was called? I'd be utterly surprised if it's still around, but why not get them involved too? It's the fans who are at every game, actually buying the gear.

This is definitely a good partnership though. Good things are in our future.

23. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the entire board resigned around when the Grant Wahl tweet occurred.

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first thought was, of course, Dilly Duka related. Fortunately, it was short-lived.

Second, I thought of those comments that I read, I don't know, within the last year, about how adidas didn't want to be hearing from every team in MLS about their kit designs. Wondered how this fit into that arrangement. And I still don't know. This seems like a pretty serious and aggressive move toward building that "national brand" the club has started talking about, but I'm not completely sure how.

Most of the company's football achievements (founded in 2018) were done "whilst" the its founder was with adidas. That includes Bayern Munich's 2018-19 home and away kits; the inaugural LAFC kit, and the LA Galaxy and MLS all star game kits from that year. Though their website does say they're a consultant to MLS.

The Crew appear to be the only team in MLS with a one-on-one relationship with them. I have no idea if other MLS clubs contract with kit designers who somehow integrate their designs into the league-wide agreement MLS has with adidas. I'd be surprised if it was common practice, though.

Hopefully, Columbus Business First will pick this up and post an in-depth article on it soon. I assume, too, at some point the Crew will announce something.

I have to think that the founder's previous relationship with adidas can't hurt the Crew when it comes to future kit designs. FYI, the league's contract with adidas runs through 2024.