Post-match: Columbus Crew - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 5/27) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 27, 2009.

1. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can chock that up to the warped and deeply disturbed caricature of a ref we suffered through. If there's no ludicrous yellow card given as attempt to appease chad-winey-baby-with-diaper-rash-marshall, then Q will jump as he always does. But can you blame him for being afraid of getting a 2nd yellow for another nothing?

2. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April 11th against chicago...3-3 tie...and Quakes had 3 goals against houston...were shut out by the Rev's-Wizards-Seattle & Chivas

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You think he would have gotten a second yellow for trying to win a ball in the air? That's pretty brutal.

He was pretty bad, that ref, but not the worst we've seen, i.e. his officiating didn't materially affect the outcome of the game.

That sounds vaguely familiar. I do remember there was a time that we always scored first in games and then only lost/tied close to the end rather than falling behind in the first 15 minutes, as has been the pattern lately.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I replayed that second goal several times trying to locate Garcia on the field. I think he was up playing left midfield at the time, and then just jogging back trailing the play.

On the first goal, even if Amerikwa? hadn't been so late off the line, there was another Quake also playing the Columbus player onside. However, I don't know what Amerikwa was thinking, if anything he should have seen that he was playing Columbus onside and try to make a play on the ball, rather than continue running out of the box and giving the Crew a freebie.

5. fight4pravda

fight4pravda New Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season is over kids, done without a doubt. All one can do is hope for loses that aren't humiliating. The FY and JD lack ambition in scouting and developing players and the team is terrible in the most important part of the pitch (the midfield). The Glen signing is relatively meaningless since he will not get any service plus forward is not the most pressing need...we need an AMID, DMID and one more solid defended (preferably a central defender.) In other words stop signing wingers and unproven forwards!!! I for one am lowering my expectations greatly in hopes of not being driven to depression by the sad form this team has displayed.

GO YOU (not so) MIGHTY QUAKES!!!

6. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost certainly, yes.

I think he is on balance he is the worse in MLS over the last 6-7 years. This wasn't his worse game ever, oh no, not by a long shot. Making up a handball on Lima in the 90 minute that cost us the playoffs last year springs to mind. Failing to card Cobi Jones for a head butt in the last playoff series against LA springs to mind. It's hard to say whether his officiating materially affected the outcome of the game. Giving a card for which there is no justification whatsoever that early in the match isn't a nothing call. Afterall, you found it quite noticeable and worthy of remark that Quincy wasn't jumping any more after that.

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref wasn't all that bad for you... he did miss a handball on the opening goal.... :)

8. SFEarthquakes

SFEarthquakes Member

Dec 30, 2005
    The problem has been that the Quakes have not played that badly but have given the result away almost every game. It's a real problem

9. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, in a Francisco Lima vs FC Dallas sort of way.

10. Xensik

Xensik New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garcia had some solid saves.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Really? The guy's short but he has great hops. If he wasn't winning headers it was because 1) playing conservative to avoid another yellow, 2) gassed, or 3) going up against some tall guys that can jump.

12. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newbie fits you well. Butchered English = No Sell.

First off... who's Ian Rusell, Dominic Konear & whats this defence you speak of?

Corrales, was really coming on strong last year towards the end but ended up getting hurt, which I believe denied our playoff chances.

Nick Garcia & Joe Cannon were very big parts of the team last year. Joe Cannon is getting hung out high and dry this season. Nick Garcia had a decent game tonight vs Columbus.

Joe Cannon came up very clutch last season. He also had a semi-decent back line last year.

And by saying you've seen better ball in the AYSO... is the biggest load of cow crap far fetched lie I've ever seen.

Yallop & Kinnear put together a very good soccer club in 2001. They also had something to work with, and nothing from bare scratch like the 2008 club.

In 2001, Yallop kept many key guys from the 99-00 contingent. Cannon, Cerritos, Conrad, Russell, Mulrooney, Barrett, Brose, Conway, & Bower. With that they got a solid foundation.

Then Yallop's first move was to get Veteran & Leader Jeff Agoos in a move that sent Mulraine & Conteh to DC United. By adding him to the back line that was the first "natural" leader the quakes had in there history.

Then Yallop added, Landon Donovan, which we all know how he did for us. Then re-signed "The Beast" Troy Dayak, who would pair with Jeff Agoos in the middle of the back line with Ibsen & Barrett who made up one of the stingiest & toughest back lines in MLS history. They let in 28 goals the whole season. Cannon was in goal, and that bolstered his career.

During that time they went and signed a bunch of "MLS Veterans" Manny Lagos, Zak Ibsen & The Return of Ramiro Corrales who became main stays with the team that season.

Dwayne De Rosario was found in the A-League, and up until 2005, he was a a clutch player, not really known as the "dominate" force he is today.

Ronnie Ekelund was brought in to replace Dario Brose who was injured the first part of the year, and he & Mulrooney built one of the strongest center midfield tandems with Russell & Lagos having career years on the wings.

Up top they ran Cerritos & Donovan. Can't get better than that.

And picked up future defender, Eddie Robinson.

We also shipped off Chris Carrieri for Junior Agogo who was a big help in the championship run.

Another reason Kinnear & Yallop were very successful, was Yallop was the cool calm and technical coach, while Kinnear was the loud fire em up balls to the wall coach who pushed them every game.

So saying Yallop wasn't the reason for the Quakes Success is blasphemy. Yallop was signed 3 days before the 2001 draft. Kinnear didn't come into the picture until later.

Both are equally given credit for the success of the San Jose Earthquakes franchise.

Yallop lead us to 2 MLS cup titles. And our first cup came right after 4 crappy seasons, 97-98-99-00. I can argue 99 wasnt that bad, we did at least have a winning record and had we been in the East, we would have finished 2nd. But the shoot out was our killer that season.

2003 we looked to be down and out and we ended up conquering all the odds that season and winning the cup. Everyone was whining & complaning about picking up 3 LA Trash Bag Bench Boys, Craig Waibel, Brian Ching & Brian Mullan. Who turned out to be the 3 players we needed. Waibel, Ching & Mullan all went on to have very successful careers. With Waibel becoming a Fan Favorite everywhere he goes for his play & community work.

2004 the first season Dominic Kinnear took over, many folk on the board here, wanted Kinnears head for most of that season, same with the beginning of 2005. I was one of them. During the off season of 2004-2005, we lost key guys such as Donovan, Mulrooney, Roner, Ekelund, Corrales, Alvarez, Dunivant, Hart, Walker, Brown, Lagos and Cronin.

But Kinnear & Doyle's ability to build a team that AEG basically wanted to run right into the ground 2000 & 1998 style, back fired as we picked up Danny Califf, Alejandro Moreno, the 2nd coming of Ronald Cerritos, Chris Aloisi, Mark Chung, Kelly Gray & Drafting young guys, Julian Nash, Chris Wondolowski, Danny O'Rourke, Kevin Goldthwaite & Aaron Lanes.

Fast Forward to 2009.

Obviously there's money ball being played into the quakes. If Cannon, Garcia & O'brien got salary cuts. And O'brien getting extremely low balled. So its either Doyle or Beane/Wolff cutting the costs and cutting the rope that dangle players.

I believe that Yallops, ability to coach a soccer team is still there.

Kelly Gray has been one of our best defenders all season. And to be fair Eric Denton has' done a decent job this year too. Nick Garcia on the other hand...

Cochrane/Gray - Cochrane/Hernandez - Hernandez/Gray any of those combinations in the back are decent at MLS standards.

So before you go running of the mouth, know whats going on... you just got taken to school and educated ;).

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    First touch absolutely sucks. Yeah, it was raining, but learn how to take passes or you'll never develop anything. Columbus managed. At least they haven't gone full-on hoofball.

14. Flake

Flake New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Nick was only good last year because JH was playing that has been shown big time this year.And the cut the salary of Joe and ROB and gave Nick a raise thats what wrong with this team.

15. darkstar10990

darkstar10990 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To ease the disappointment (maybe):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtSvFWd0XQ"]YouTube - 5.27.09 - Johnson's Goal[/ame]
    :cool:

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I thought Q helped energize the team in the first half. They had a lot of chances and he was in on most of them. I'd been calling for a Q-RJ pairing at starting forward for a long time, and finally got it. I think he ran out of gas a bit in the 2nd half. If I were Frank, I'd continue to rotate RJ, Q, and Glen in at forward.

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a lot of drugs do you?

Here are a couple of places where I think the crap officiating may well have changed the match.

Shortly after Alvarez came in, we had a decent foray going up the right side. The ref blew the whistle and called a foul way back up field thus killing our offensive effort. The supposed foul was total crap too. Just one of several examples of Crewless players running into our guys, falling on the ground and feigning injury. It was disgraceful really.

And the play where Brian Carroll hurt himself should have been a yellow card on Carroll and our free kick near the left side touchline. He committed a professional foul on Elliott and hauled Simon to the ground after the ball was away. Intent to injure? Or just intent to impede an opposing player? I don't care what spin you put on it, Carroll was playing the player not the ball.

I can't say that those plays would have resulted in our guys scoring. They probably would not have. However, as a player, it is very disheartening to think that you have to play against the opposing team and the referee also.

Oh, and there was another play where a Crewless player leveled Shea after Shea had passed the ball away. The Crewless player should have been given a yellow card for that.

Again, it might not have made a difference, but really takes the wind out of a team's sails. Rogers ran into our guys several times and tried to get a foul called. He should have gotten a yellow the second or third time. Instead, the pathetic BIASED ref bought that stupidity.

Even so, it's not likely we would have won or even tied. Had we gotten a tying goal, I am convinced that in the ensuing happiness and loss of concentration, we would have given up a third.

But the ref sucked and he favored the Crewless consistently. GBS's kicking the ball into Garcia's arm and immediately appealing for a handball was disgusting and should have earned him a yellow for disrepute. He was just trying to get a handball call. There was no Crewless player anywhere near the "pass." His instantaneous appeal clearly shows that this was his plan.

And what was with only three minutes of stoppage? Should have been six, at least.

But again, I'm not sure it matters. We'd have found a way to lose no matter what.

we suck

go quakes :(

- mark

18. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He continues to impress and he stayed on his feet more that usual this game.

19. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is the #1 example of the referee blowing a call. That might not have resulted in a goal, but it deflated the burst of energy that the team had after the subs came in.

As for the flopping and begging for calls, at least he didn't cave to the Crew on most of those. It may just be his SOP to ignore dives and other dumb moves. Okay, he also overlooked some incidents that should have been called, but you can't expect him to pull out a yellow on a guy with a broken clavicle/shoulder/whatever -- too crass, even for a bad ref.

If I were refereeing that game and one team kept asking for foul calls, I probably would have made a few against them, just because they annoyed me. That's probably why no one has asked me -- as blind and deaf as I am -- to work as an MLS referee.

21. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    To add to your examples, the effin ref kept letting the Crew players climb all over our boys' backs all game long. And the one time one of our guys (I think it was Hernandez late in the game) did it, he calls a foul right away. What a ********ing tool that ref is.

22. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just jumping into the thread after seeing the 1st Col goal ...

1st Col goal was caused by same old thing ... poor clearance and (I think) Hernandez is too slow moving out keeping the attacker on-side.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game's highlights can be viewed here.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G