Columbia?

Discussion in 'Charlotte FC' started by SouthronSoccerFan, Jul 28, 2012.

1. SouthronSoccerFan

SouthronSoccerFan New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Haven't seen much commentary about Columbia as a possible MLS city in the Carolinas.
    I live in Augusta, GA. I've been to Atlanta Silverbacks games. So many detractors to that experience, mainly the cost of getting there. But Columbia could work better than Atlanta, or the other Carolina cities being discussed.
    A couple of positives off the top of the ole noggin~
    + Takes an hour or less to drive from Augusta, Charlotte, Charleston, & Greenville plus all the places in between. It can pull in a very large geographic area and several big population centers with an easy drive in and out, if properly marketed of course.
    + Downtown real estate property value. It's cheaper to buy & build a SSS than in those other places, lowering ownership cost.

The only mention of Columbia I've seen was something to the effect that the present club is more interested in spreading Christianity than the sport. - Well, so what? That's the current team in the current league under current ownership, management and marketing scheme. An MLS club would be different in most respects. Actually, I'd like to see the Battery remain in Charleston as a NASL club, AND open an upper division club in MLS. The battery has something good happening there. This could present the larger US Soccer with an opportunity to arrange things for an eventual melding of MLS, NASL, and USL Pro into relegation type arrangement way on down the road, say 1-=15-20 years off. Ahh, I know that's dreaming big what with the tons of ownership and legal issues. Somebody shoot holes in this idea for me, so we can get a discussion going.

2. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe the Christian team you are referring to is in Charlotte -- the Charlotte Eagles.

Columbia is definitely big enough to support a USL Pro team -- however, Columbia is dominated by the USC Empire -- if it isn't Gamecocks related it is going to be an uphill battle.

Greenville is definitely a prime location for a pro soccer team in SC -- I would go with Greenville over Columbia -- not going to help you in Augusta though.

3. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Greenville, I think it would work well here as well as Columbia. Greenville is only about an hour from Charlotte (no traffic of course) and about 2 hours from Atlanta. On top of that Ashville and the rest of western north carolina isnt far, and the whole upstate SC. And believe or not there is a lot of interest in soccer here. Hell high school games are sometimes packed and their are tons of youth leagues here as well.