Colorado's choice for the name of the Colorado/SLC Cup Competition

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Nov 16, 2004.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the ski idea, placing each winnder down the ski from year to year. SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

2. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, make it something the players themselves would want to play for, make sure that the players have an interest in it as well. If it's just a goofy lookin' ski, they certainly aren't going to have extra incentive, it's just some hokey thing between the fans that only they give a shite about. If we make it a traditional looking Cup or Trophy, then there's more emphasis from the organization to win it. Think long term... I mean, think about what the fans will do after winning it, loft a ************in' ski into the air, and pump it ferociously? No way, make it something we can let the players parade around after winning and feel proud of...

Why does everything this board suggests come out like a lame Monty Python sketch?

3. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Python? Because we didn't stay up all those late night in college watching them to let them die when we became adults.. :D

So, why not combine the two? I like the pick idea, but about the ski.
    Have the players raise a trophy that is a silver base and a crystal soccer ball, the front offices could hold on to it during the season and now both teams have current hardware to dust off and feel proud of, and let the supporters section hold onto the Ski, pickax, spike, holy grail, black nights arm, whatever. The players could be presented with both and the cap'n could raise the ball and another player could hand off the "thing" but the "thing" would have the history on it. The ball could just have a replaceable silver engraving that shows the year and the name.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think anything done correctly will garner the respect of the players because we the fans want them to have it. Yes, if it is a chincy ski, falling apart, two feet long it will be terrible and the players won't want to touch it. However, if it looks cool, really represents something, then it will work.

5. btmountainmail

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    I vote ski. Who wants another @#$%@# trophy, just like all the other meaningless @$#%#$@! trophies?

I don't really care if it "smacks of college gridiron" - real, live people (as opposed to the ghost numbers who allegedly attend MLS matches) actually go to college football games because they can get emotional about it. It's not just about the teams.

/still waiting for Fort Lewis to win the Musket Game....

6. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btmountainmailWho wants another @#$%@# trophy, just like all the other meaningless @$#%#$@! trophies?

And which meaningless trophy would that be? US Open Cup? MLS Cup? or a fvckin' ski??? Form a real argument...

Which reminds me, I'm looking to unload one of a kind parabolics from K2 that are blue and red with the Coors logo on the tail and bottlecaps on the tips, with mountain ranges on the undersides, they're about 180-190, anyone interested? I'm going to throw them on ebay soon... They're brand new, never been used, no bindings...

7. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn straight, skippy! All the "names" listed in this poll are an embarrassment.

Based on this map the Arapahoe and Shoshoni Indian tribes occupied Denver and Salt Lake in the early years, so...

Arapahoe-Shoshoni Cup (alphabetical order of course ;))
    Ute Cup

I prefer this to Anshutz, Checkettes (sp?), Kroenke Cup. Besides, we've seen owners will change in MLS (I would love the Anschutz Cup, but I think Real SL might object).

Smith-Young Cup (Mormon thingy...there are actually a fair # here in CO)

Colorado River Cup (I offer, but I don't like the name)

Altitude Cup (SLC is 4331' and Denver at 5280' -- probably the safest name)

Name it the junk you're voting on and we'll all be a joke of the league...

8. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    King of the mountain would be worse than the brimstone cup?

I really can't tell if you're joking or not..................

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Here's a couple more ideas:

Any of these could be "Cup" "Competition" or "Challange"

High Peaks Competition
    Peak to Peak Challange
    Summit Cup
    Nordic Challange
    Powder Cup
    Glacier Challange

10. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    If the competition is going to have the word "Cup" in it, then the prize should be a friggen cup and not a ski or pickaxe.

Still waiting for MLS to get with the program on this, but you know it makes sense.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Which is why I suggested Competition or Challage.

12. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Overall, I like the ice axe/pick but if we're gonna go with the downhill winter sports theme, a snowboard would be cooler than a stankin' ski.

13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold the phone! Do you go to Fort Lewis? I'm a student there myself.

As far as the derby thing goes, I agree with He's In Fashion.

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not talking a new ski purchased at Garts. We're talking an old, big, wooden ski.

So no, a new snowboard would not be cooler.

15. angrywhiteman

angrywhiteman Member

May 26, 2004
    CO Mountains
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about a plaque with half a utah license plate and half a colorado license plate? and space below for engraving the winners of course.

Any thoughts?
    AWM

16. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado

Yes, it would.

17. ilovemichealowen

ilovemichealowen New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    How about the Colorado will never win cup?

18. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    HA HA HA AHHA.... Ahem.. field a team first... we play first home game of yours. Talk smack then.

-would the real Salt Lake please stand up? Please stand up.

19. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    The Rocky Mountain Rivalry

Trophy: Golden statuette of John Denver, loser has to fly home in his cessna.

20. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Just throwing my 2 cents in here.

If we go with a Cup name and a cup trophy, this is easy. Alpine Cup, Rocky Mountain Cup, something along those lines all sounds cool. And the bigger the better when it comes to the size of the cup trophy.

If we're not going to go with the Cup theme because everyone else is doing it and we have to be different [​IMG], then I think it should be a Classic. Alpine Classic, Rocky Mountain Classic, or something like that. And then we can use pretty much anything as a trophy.

But something tells me that the Rapids and SLC are communicating and have their own designs on what this will be called and what a trophy (if there is one) will look like.

21. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    How about a nice warm cup of shut the ******** up?

22. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I think we should bronze Seth Trembly and let the winning team use him as a hood ornament! :D

23. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    LOL ... at least he'd be finally useful :D

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, RSL fan here. I was thinking that a more general name might be best, like Rocky Mtn Cup, since many of the other ideas are either a little too silly or maybe too narrowminded (whats the Brimstone Cup going to do now?).

BTW Jasonma, RSL has its committee ready.PM me for details.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh also, I think the trophy/cup would be cool if it was designed as a mountain with a large soccer ball on the top (King Ball).