Colorado's choice for the name of the Colorado/SLC Cup Competition

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Nov 16, 2004.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your vote for the name of the proposed competition between ReAL Salt Lake and the Colorado Rapids?

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    King of the Mountain Derby with some kind of ice pick or axe.

3. bilfish

bilfish New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Golden, CO
    Done and Done.

Beautiful ideas are often the ones that just seem right.

King of the Mountain competition (or darby if yer of English persuasion).

trophy: The plaque-mounted ice pick (I'm assuming the plaque is for safety and ease of adding the winner's name each year).

Of course, we could just put Colorado Rapids on it and call it a day... Sorry, didn't mean to distract with a slight dig, but without a head coach I admit to giddy feelings of opportunity!

Also, the RSC fans added a couple of good qualifyers. First, I agree with the Poll switch to be King of the Mountain (singular, not Mountains) and RSC folks suggested that the trophy should be held in trust by fan groups, although we could "loan" it out to the teams if they behave :)

Cheers,

BilFish

4. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    This is a great idea. I like the Ice Pick trophy with fans in control. It will be great to get this rivalry underway.

5. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Agreed. What a great freakin idea.

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I still like the idea of making the trophy an old (as in 50 years), telemark-style ski, engraving each winner as each year passes.

I think it's a strong choice largely because the ski industry is the chief rivalry that the states already have -- in other words, let's build on something that people recognize.

As for the ice pick, it's not a bad idea but historically it would be much better to just go with a standard rock pick, e.g. the kind that miners and prospectors used.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both ideas are damn good, I was just thinking of the gleaming metal of an ice pick (or rock pick, although I believe we are channeling the Denver Nuggets 70's-era mascot now) would make for a better trophy than a ski. Regardless, both of these are pretty representative of the commonality that Colorado and Utah share. I suppose we could always call it the Ski Bowl or something...

I'll stick with my initial vote, but a ski would be pretty cool too.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea. We could get an old ski for a lot cheaper than an ice pick too. Just go to Rocky Mountain Antiques off I-70 in Evergreen. A negative; a jerk in SLC could easily break this one.

9. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Hey, nothing sparks more ire out there than water. How about the Transbasin Diversion Cup? Sorry, water geek humor...

10. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Ya. Now that I read the posts, I like the ski. I'm a Utahn temporarily in Colorado, and I have arguments with my Colorado friends all the time about whose skiing is best. I say Utah's is way better snow. They usually give up the argument once they finally ski in Utah. Not that it has anything to do with soccer, but I think that it will add some pre-existing rivalry sense into the new soccer one. We could name the prized ski something cool. Glad you guys went with tele too, (I'm a tele skier).

11. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm up for finding something both states have in common. I don't think we should beat it to death, but we have a little time to get it together.

12. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Check out this article on the Utah-Colorado ski rivalry. http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2000/12/25/focus1.html

It's pretty funny what they've done. Utah's ski businessmen put a billboard on
    I-70 that said "If you were in Utah you'd be skiing already." Because Utah's skiing is so much more convenient, only 29 miles from the Salt Lake airport. It takes like 2 hours to get to the decent ski resorts from Denver. Colorado also took a cheap shot at Utah when the World Cup was moved from Utah to CO one year because there wasn't enough snow that year in UT.

Anyway, my point is that this is a real rivalry between the two states that already exists. I think the ski idea would be cool for the trophy.

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    If we go with Skis ... I'd be willing to buy the "trophey".

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll chip in. I'm sure we can raise the cash between here and SLC to get a nice vintage wood ski, some brass for the plaque and a fund to engrave it each year.

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks to me like the ice axe and the ski are favored. Let's narrow it down to those two and vote from there....

16. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    I vote for the Ski. It is very unique, now how do we win it? Aggregate scoring?

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd have to put some rules around it before the season started. I'd say either agg goals or points vs each other using the traditional soccer points system (3w, 1d, 0l).

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    A ski, with a soccer ball attached on each side of the ski, front and back.

19. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, the ski is a good idea and definitely fitting... But I have to go with a traditional cup, the whole odd object thing smacks of College Gridiron...

Let's keep those name ideas coming... I think it should be geographical like a river...

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? I think we can do without the balls and I hope you're kidding.

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would look like some kind of ski-soccer dumbbell. :D

22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With propper placement a Ski Phalus.

23. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Golden Snowball - a soccer ball-sized snowball. Maybe snowball fatures at one end that melds/fades into soccer ball features at the opposite end. Maybe on a 1 foot cube base

- OR -

if we're going with the "King of the Mountain" moniker, maybe a statuette-ish-looking thing with a mountain peak on the top. Something of decent size - maybe a foot square by 2.5 - 3 feet tall. Not sure what something like that would weigh though.

Just some thoughts...

24. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

We could make it out of paper mache. :D

25. bilfish

bilfish New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Golden, CO
    Golden snowball.

Heh. I've made a few of those in my lifetime. So has my doggy.

Cheers,

BilFish