Colorado v. New England, Sat. April 4, 2015, 5:00 p.m. pre/in/post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fortcollins, Mar 28, 2015.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match No. 4.

Colorado (0-0-3) v. New England (1-2-1)
    Dick's Sporting Goods Park
    Saturday, April 4, 2015, 5:00 p.m. MDT

2015:
    Colorado 0-0-1 home (0 GF, 0 GA), 0-0-2 road (0 GF, 0 GA)
    New England 1-0-1 home (2 GF, 1 GA), 0-2-0 road, (0 GF, 5 GA)

Center Referee: TBA

Current form:
    Colorado: LLLLLLLTLTLLLLTTT*
    New England: LLTW

*Yes, I'm still sick of posting this. Make it end. NOW! (Hint for Pablo: The Rapids have to score a goal to win. It's in the rules.)

jayd8888 repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, give us some time for post game before jumping into next week's thread @fortcollins! ;)

fortcollins repped this.
  3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last one was so fugly, I'm ready to move on. Besides, you had the pre-season pick that this next match is THE one to end the streak. I'm so ready.

Sports Yak, kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never doubt the power of Jameson Night!

AvaiBunton, Jimmydinho, Stuart95 and 2 others repped this.
  5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    One of you guys has to streak. That's what it comes down to that's all there is to it.

6. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Salinas California/Denver, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This game needs to be the one that breaks that none winning streak! Will dicks be empty because of the visitor team? Just wondering, as it will give me flashbacks of my chivas usa..

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Will Dick's be empty, that is a question. 0-0 ties do not excite anybody. I'm reminded of the the FC coaching era.

8. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's really nice weather, I could see a typical 14k-15k crowed.

We're not far enough into the season yet for the more casual fans to become frustrated with the team.

COMtnGuy, U.S Chiva, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we don't score before the 53rd minute this will be the longest scoreless streak in team history (from our 41st minute goal by JDV against LA at Mile High on 9/18/1999 to our 64th minute goal by Bravo at LA on March 18th, 2000, the opening game of the 2000 season, 563 minutes.).

COMtnGuy and fortcollins repped this.
  10. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're still a long way from Toronto's epic 824-minute scoreless streak as an expansion side in 2007. Breaking that record would take going scoreless through the first half of the second (April 24) FC Dallas match.

Deep Wilcox and JasonMa repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few preliminary thoughts on this match.
    • New England is a wildly different team on the road than at home. Their first two matches were on the road. Seattle mauled them and NYCFC dominated them. Their second two matches were at home, a fairly decently played nil-nil against an improving Montreal side and a 2-1 win in horrible weather over a very sloppy San Jose.
    • NE has improved its attack since the first two thrashings. They have a quick counter attack and effectively used a high line to force the attack on SJ. That said, they force shots too early and finish poorly. The only team they have scored on is San Jose, and Irwin is a much better keeper than Bingham.
    • NE's defense isn't impressive. What concerns me is that Colorado's offense looks more like Montreal than their other three opponents. (It darned well doesn't look like Seattle.)
    • To win, Colorado needs to avoid stupid turnovers in the defensive third and take advantage of NE defensive lapses. An early Rapids goal (what's that???) could open the floodgates.
    • Hate to say it, but yet another nil-nil isn't out of the realm of possibility here, especially if NE bunkers early and plays for the draw. It's matches like this where a finisher like a Wondolowski or Dwyer could make a massive difference. I just don't see Torres or Badji getting the job done. Maybe Powers can drop a cross at the feet of Sarvas and the Rapids can find net.

12. Alagroth

Alagroth Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne OZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the seniors do better than the youths in the GA Cup...... but at least they didnt score. Consistent.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Do we know why this game is at 5PM? That seems like an odd time. Not early enough to avoid cold if that's what they're after, but not at the "regular" 7PM, either. It seems like a TV time, but it's not a national TV game.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because the Nuggets play at 7 and the Avs at 8. That way we don't have a repeat of last week. Since the Rapids are the home team they could set the kickoff time to work for their TV, unlike when they were in Houston.

Totoro repped this.
  15. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really was thinking that this streak would have ended by now...with all the new blood in the team, I guess it's a process to gel...oh wait, that's what preseason is for.
    Anyways, thinking this is the game we finally score, unfortunately, it's in a losing effort 2-1 maybe even 3-1.

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ah, that would make sense.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're just lucky that Kroenke's televised barbecue competitions, concerts from bands nobody has ever heard of and replays of 1992 high school gymnastics competitions didn't push the kickoff to 4:00 a.m.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I'm as willing as the next guy to throw Kroenke under the bus when its called for, but in this case I think they made the right call and got all 3 teams the live coverage they deserve. No need to slam them when they're doing something right (for a change).

Cos_Mos repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yes but what about the barbeque fans having to deal with the delayed broadcast (and I hate a blacked-out hotdog)? ;>)

20. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 pm is a goofy time for this game. With one of the best Final Fours in years starting at 4 a better time would have been 1 or 2 at the latest. Basketball guys like the Kroenkes know this. More stupidity from people who sell sports of every kind and should know better.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except evening games tend to get better attendance historically than afternoon games. I bet the Rapids would prefer to have this game at 7 but due to TV settled on 5.

22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  23. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So I've got to find a couple of these before Saturday?

[​IMG]

JasonMa repped this.
  24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    5pm is good starting time, warmer than 7 this time of year.

Rapids benefit from an own goal, but tie 1-1. At the end of the day, our leading scorer is a New England defender.

Sports Yak repped this.
  25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I must say that I like later in the day as it allows for fun outdoor activities without having to cut them short for the match.

Having said that, it makes sense to have matches in March, April and perhaps early May as well as October scheduled for the afternoon so if it is cold it's not as cold as a 7 pm start.

But regardless, I am there.

COMtnGuy repped this.