Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame thread

Good answer, Bill. The cable companies do churn out a bunch of propaganda to keep you away from satellite. I'd have to agree about the time lost. The only time the signal didn't come in was during a large amount of lightning last year and that didn't last for but a couple of minutes. Comparing the two, the cable has gone off a lot longer (speaking of which [can you believe it], it just happened right now, because I kept the cable so I could get two of my favorite FM stations from Sacto) and if I tried to call them and find out what is wrong, I would get no answer whatsoever, they never answer the phone when this happens.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe. :D

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, OK first off let me apologize for asking a question that I'm sure has already been asked and probably answered.

But with Onstad out who's in goal? Will Saunders get his shot?

Gots to get my VCR set since I'll be stuck at work like a chump.

I also second the call for Jamil to start. He's earned it. Bring Faria off the bench.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it's Conway. I'd prefer Saunders, too. :(

Although I'd prefer to see Jamil Walker come off the bench and inject his speed against tired defenders' legs late in the game, bringing Faria off the pine may be the more sensible option, all things considered.

Walker should start, via this logic, on the basis of general match fitness.

Will be listening to the game via an audio webcast tomorrow morning my time... anyone know who's got the game? I think KNEW will be having the radio coverage on it? Will grab the audio from the Rapids' webcast if it comes to that, though...

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamil should get the start just for all of the hard work that he's put in on behalf of the team. He's been with SJ longer than Rodrigo has, I think the seniority should rule. Putting Rodrigo in and then bringing Jamil as the fresh-legged sub might be the better game plan, but I am a sentimental ass.

8. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Despite the title of the article, based on what Yallop said it doesn't sound like we are going to have any change in strategy. Which makes me think we will be quite vulnerable on the counter-attacks.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Unfortunately, so will the Earthquakes. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the desire to reward Jamil, but right now all concentration should be on winning the Cup. In that respect, Faria is the unknown part of the equation, Can he help the Quakes down the stretch and through the playoffs? FY must answer that question now. Faria should start, sorry Jamil, you'll have to come off the bench again.

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Jeff Carlisle's article, he quotes Franky as saying:

"Either Rodrigo Faria or Jamil Walker will earn their first starts in place of DeRosario. Yallop indicated that he is leaning towards starting Faria, especially since Walker has proven so effective at coming off the bench. "I think at this point [Faria] is ready to do that. That’s not to deflect from what Jamil has done for us this season, but I think Rodrigo’s quality and his understanding with Donvan make me lean that way."

What's most important is finding a player that works with Donovan. And if Franky sees that in Rodrigo, then I'm confident in his choice. It's not just who's the best at working hard. It's who's best at working hard with Landon. Not that Jamil doesn't. But really, Franky sees these guys together everyday. So if he sees that Landon and Rodrigo are the right fit, then I trust him.

13. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    If this game wasn't so important for us, I'd call for starting Joe "Loose" Cannon just for laughs. :D

14. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Bingo. Faria's got more experience than Walker, too. So if he's match fit, use him.

15. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comcast added the game

For those of you with Comcast, the game was on the Shootout schedule beginning last night. For those here locally, IIRC the game on Fox Sports Bay Area.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Just checked the local Bay Area Comcast digital cable schedule. In the online menu, the game is not listed for any of the sports PPV channels usually earmarked for Shootout (421-425). The Yellowbellies/Flamers match is on 421 at 6 PM PST. However, if you flip over to channel 421, the blue screen menu alternates between today's MLS schedule and tomorrow's college grid schedule. The MLS schedule claims the Quakes/cRapids is on sports PPV2 (422) at 6:30 PST. Out of towners, don't believe your menus/schedules, check the Shootout channels at game time.
    I only felt shafted by cable once, when they bowed to pressure from holier-than-thou Sen. John McCain and dropped UFC pay-per-views for a while in the mid-90s (even though dish providers continued showing it). To each his own. FWiW, Comcast has started advertising that they will have a TiVO-like option soon, so apparently the dish providers soon won't have a monopoly on that feature.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, Doug, what's the UI? You got me with that one. I'm churning my pea-sized brain to figure out what that is, and can't get it. I'm not a techie.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch it! I'll bore the hell out of everyone telling my story again about AT&T cable (now Comcast) and the Shootout Package of 2001. That additional straw was more than enough to bail out of cable.

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame thread

After reading all the pre-game reports (Cybersoccernews, Earthquakes.com, Quakemagic) I'm really getting giddy with excitement on what the possible lineup might be! Here I thought Rapids would kick our butts, but now I'm thinking, hey, we might can get the job done ourselves.

Thanks to everybody posting re: the Shootout. It's still not listed as coming on here, but I'm tuning in anyway. They didn't list last weeks games, and they came on. Otherwise, I'll have to listen to Rapid broadcast, but that's better than nothing.

Go Quakes! I feel a victory coming on!

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, watch it. You're skating on thin ice (as if the little grey-haired guy could do better than JC) and touchy territory. However, we'll let you go this time; one thing I don't care to see is a Conway v. Cannon match. :p

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp As of now, the score is:

&nbsp[​IMG] [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The game kicks off. The score is still:

&nbsp[​IMG] [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read the lineups on MLSnet.com ... it has Mullan starting on defense. Is that right?

And why is Manny starting. An orange cone could do better.

oh well ... go quakes!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Yup... Mullan at right back. :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineups:

EARTHQUAKES (4-4-2)
    Jon Conway
    Brian Mullan
    Jeff Agoos
    Craig Waibel
    Todd Dunivant
    Manny Lagos
    Ronnie Ekelund
    Richard Mulrooney
    Ramiro Corrales
    Landon Donovan
    Rodrigo Faria

Subs (from):
    Arturo Alvarez, Troy Dayak, Ian Russell, Josh Saunders (GK), Jamil Walker

RAPIDS (4-4-2)
    Scott Garlick
    Wes Hart
    Nat Borchers
    Robin Fraser
    Ritchie Kotschau
    Chris Henderson
    Kyle Beckerman
    Darryl Powell
    Mark Chung
    Chris Carrieri
    John Spencer

Subs (from): Alex Blake, Matt Crawford, Zach Kingsley, Michael Piserchio, Alberto Rizo, Zizi Roberts, Casey Schmidt, Seth Trembly, Scott Vallow

Conway starts, as does Faria-- and interestingly, Mullan is listed as a right back. Can someone who's watching the game back home confirm if he's actually in this position, or is it more like an extra wide player in a 3-5-2?