Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Goose and Dayak are not going to be in the center of that triangle, we have a very worrying situation indeed.

2. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame thread

I also would like to have Saunders and Faria in the game to see how they play. They could be important down the stretch in the playoff run. Robinson said at SWTQ that he would be back in couple weeks. Did not get a chance to ask Dayak the same question. Can anyone fill me in on Dayak? Walker is probably better coming off the bench to add a late boost with his energy. His skill is not yet up to par as a starter. I would like to see Alvarez start in the midfield. He has had some good games and some not so good games. Still, I think he is a good addition to the midfield which is flat this year.

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Alvarez isn't available. He's with the under20 MNT. It's looking more and more like this match would be a great time to rest as many starters as possible. Start all our bench players, this game is a lock for Colorado anyway.

4. shankly

shankly New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    oakland

never, i will never conceed a football match.

to hell with the crapids we can still beat them home or away.

we just need to play tight, compact no nonsense footie. every time a crapid touches the ball give him no space to turn or look up.

one point is better than no points.

actually i take that back. if wrong way is between the pipes i would conceed to save my sanity.

5. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the weekly update (http://www.sjearthquakes.com/fan_pages/100803feature.htm) Dyak will be available for selection on Friday. With that in mind maybe the back line can make Conway's job easy and get at least a road point.

--Roner----Dyak----Agoos---Dunivant
    ---------------Mulrooney------------
    Mullan-----------------------Corrales
    ----------------Ecklund--------------
    -----Faria-----------------Donovan--

Pull Ronnie at half, bring in Walker and move LD back to attacking mid.

6. shankly

shankly New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    oakland

nah. i have seen conway with that set up or at least a very strong one in front of him before. earlier this summer can't remember the exact game. The problem with conway is his confidence. he lacks the ability to make the critical decision on the play and to help his defenders on their positioning. The only thing that will help conway is to get some playing time but NOT AT THE QUAKES EXPENSE! Try the A-League.

I like your idea about moving LD to the attacking mid. He was born to play there with his superior vision and ball control.

Viva la pat!

7. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yee haw! Cowboy!!!!! Now I can't wait to see this game.

BTW, it's spelled Dayak. :D

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prayers anyone?

I will have everything crossed in hope and prayer that Jon makes asses out of all of us and comes up with a great game. :inthenameofthefather...:

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blessings come down

That is our supreme center-back setup. If those two are going to be back there, I will be greatly relieved.

10. shankly

shankly New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    oakland

maybe. i think that eddie robinson and goose would be a better setup. I know I speak treason but I think troy is not as fit as he would like. and jeff agoos is getting slow. real slow.

plus wrong way will be spouting directions like a kid with a severe case of ADD.

Should be entertaining.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Blessings come down

Absolutely... good enough then, in the championship glory year of '01, and it's good enough now. :)

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame thread

He may spout, but will he be listened to by the real conductors?:)

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edited for spelling ;)

Love this lineup. As far as the proposed sub strategy goes, even if Yallop either waits til after 60 minutes, or installs the change when protecting a lead, it'll work because the team doesn't usually bunker well.

Lagos for Corrales, even if Ramiro is hurt (as has been suggested), that might be good, too.

And put Saunders in goal ahead of Conway, and it looks pretty fool-proof. :)

14. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Agoos and DAYAK (my bad) are in the center of the defense no one will pay any attention to Wrongway unless he's pulling the ball out of his net.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to SA MLS Confidential:

"Quakes coach Frank Yallop will use backup keeper Jon Conway and hasn't decided if he'll start Rodrigo Faria or rookie Jamil Walker in place of De Rosario."

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope it's Jamil. He may be better as a sub, but I think he's earned the start. He's been here all season long, come in and performed great for us as a sub, and he'll just be so happy to start. :)

On a down side for me, it looks like this game is not going to be on my Shootout package...I get the Chicago/Columbus game instead. So I've gotta listen to the Rapid broadcast.

Go Quakes!

17. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

We know what we have with Walker (a very capable player who may or may not develop into a reliable asset.) At this point Faria is an unknown. Plus with the playoffs looming, I think Faria has the experience (and track record) to contribute more so than with Walker. Now is the time to get him some major PT and see what he can do. Who do you think opposing clubs would be more nervous about - a rookie spot starter/supersub with some success or an established Rookie-of-the-Year winner with fresh legs? I think Walker is absolutley electrifying coming off the bench, but at this point in his career, he doesn't have the potential to put a team on his shoulders and be the difference maker that Faria has already shown he can be (with previous clubs). Now we have to see if we can get him productive with THIS club.

Originally, I thought that this was a game that the Quakes had to win, if for no other reason than to re-establish some dominance over the Crapids. But since Conway is in goal, and so many guys are nursing injuries, I think you treat this game as a tune up for the post season and get some guys some minutes in case you need them later.

18. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam

Check your Shootout schedule again Friday morning. Keep in mind that the SJ-Colorado game was not scheduled to be televised originally. FSBA added the game to its schedule mid-way through the season. In-demand is slow in adding games to its schedule.

DirectTV subscribers say that the game appears on their shootout schedule. I assume that In-demand will carry the game too.

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to wonder why I pay for the Shootout package. The plan was so I could watch Quakes games. If I just want to watch any MLS match, I can do that with ESPN2. I want to see the Quakes damn-it!

(I have shootout through Comcast cable rather than a dish. But thanks for the tip. I'll keep checking the guide.)

They aren't even on Yahoo Platinum this weekend. This blows chunks.

If I were Frank, I'd start Faria up front with Landon and sub Walker in later. We know that Walker can score off the bench, and Faria is more likely to draw attention away from Landon than Walker is. Our guys are going to need their A game if they want to win. It's time to step it up, not down.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I understand all that and agree. I just thought Walker had earned the start as opposed to Faria, and maybe Faria coming on at halftime. But yeah, I'd forgotten about Faria playing for other teams too. Either way is fine for me. Just hope whoever it is, he and LD and the midfield can really click. We need to be able to take it to teams no matter who is playing.

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you about Jamil, he has earned the chance to start. Bring in Rodrigo later.
    As far as your Shootout Package is concerned, is that the kind of punishment you get for living in Texas? The package should contain every MLS game that is being televised. If you're not getting the Quakes game, you're getting the Royal Shaft.

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, too, Mark. Any chance of getting DishTV or DirecTV? You'll sure as hell appreciate the PVR that comes with those systems as well (you've got to pay for it, but the price is about the same as cheap VCRs now). I just remember very well the shafting I got from AT&T (now taken over by Comcast) cable and it sure makes me appreciate the satellite.

23. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    DISH rocks!

But if you're going to get a DVR/PVR, go with TiVo. The UI for the ones DISH sells isn't as beefy.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay. You guys are selling me on DISH. But tell me, I've heard the reception is totally gone if it's raining outside. Now, I know it never rains in California :), but even right now we're having storms in Texas. So what are the odds I'd get to see my game in a rainstorm?

25. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's FUD from the cable companies. You may lose reception, for a few minutes, in the heaviest of rainstorms. I have lost satellite reception for a total of about 15 minutes in the five years I have been a DirecTV subscriber.

And in general, if the storm is strong enough to cause my satellite reception to go out for a few minutes, it also knocks over a tree somewhere which causes my neighbors' cable to go out for a few days.