Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) pregame thread

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will San Jose achieve another successful step toward its MLS Cup trophy recall campaign?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will Colorado upset the frontrunner for its own shot at unseating the incumbent?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The 'Quakes winning in perhaps their last MLS game outside of California this year? The 'Pids victorious in their 2003 regular-season home finale?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Discuss.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I like that, the California MLS Cup recall campaign!

We need to go out and give 100% against the Rapids to reestablish the momentum we lost today and then play some backups against LA.

Playing them 4 straight games, if it happens, is really going to suck. It's very hard to beat a team that many times in a row in any sport. I'd rather face KC. On the other hand, at least we'll get familiar with HDC for the finals.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Rapids will definitely be tough at home... hopefully the Quakes can complete the apparent pattern between the two teams this season (i.e. the visiting team wins).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It'll certainly be weird, but it sure beats where the team usually was at this point of the season in the pre-Yallop years! :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team gets its collective head out, they should be able to do well. Any more repeats of today and sheeeeeiiiitttt!!

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't happen.

One thing's for certain during Yallop's tenure, is that this team just does not endure bad back-to-back games. Yallop and Dominic Kinnear just do not allow that to happen.

My early pick: Quakes 2, Rapids 1 (and yes, I know, I got the last pick wrong and I have been having a bad month).

6. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see the following players get a week off before the playoff begins. It doesn't have to be this coming week, and they can "stagger" the rest, but I'd like these players to be fresh before the Cup run:

Landon Donovan
    Richard Mulrooney
    Ramiro Corrales

7. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great!

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just gonna post this. That's just great. We really need these guys this weekend...gotta get back to gellin', especially DeRo and Donovan. So does this mean Walker gets the start, or Faria, or neither?

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least they didn't call up Yallop. :)

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams coming off bad losses. Colo seems to have SJ's number this year. DeRo can be replaced by Faria, but Conway's a pretty big step down from Onstead.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saunders was there yesterday. Put him in. Oh, that's right--the pecking order.

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder, will Spenser be available for them? Colorado doesn't do that well without him, but when he's there he's very tough to deal with.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG! :eek:

We're screwed! This means Conway is gonna start! And Landon better not play like he did yesterday. We're screwed!

I'm sorry, I'm still not recovered from yesterday's game....

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spencer missed the last two games due to injury. I don't know if he'll be ready.

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh thank you Noah! That brings some relief almost as well as a beer. Almost.... :D

17. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose

Maybe we can get Tonya Harding to pay a visit to practice... ;)

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Which Earthquakes team will play in this game? Will it be the efficient Quakes from the majority of this season? The dominant Quakes of late-September? The lethargic Quakes from yesterday's game? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Stay tuned...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Quakes' defense takes a mauling this week. With Conway in goal, and Waibel probably still in at center-back (god, I was defending this guy early in the year but what an incredible hack!!), I fear the Rapids will be running circles around the Quakes' backline, especially if Agoos is still feeling a bit banged up.

Could spell trouble.

Yallop has a real chore ahead trying to keep the players sharp for the last 3 games and maintain some momentum headed into the playoffs, despite having already clinched the Western crown. It's a shame really that the Supporters Shield isn't taken more seriously at the official level - maybe with some cash bonus or something - 'cause then you'd see the Quakes put their foot on the accelerator straight through to the end.

20. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Colorado 3 - Quakes 1 (assumes Spencer plays)

We'll just have to rebuild our momentum against the Galaxy :)

---------------------

2000 posts baby!

21. shankly

shankly New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    oakland

I agree with you flashman. The entire league should advertise and glorify the supporters shield. The MLS playoffs should be billed as an exclusive tournament than the league playoffs.

As far as who the quakes should be starting this weekend that is a tough call. I think FY should give Saunders the start in goal. We have to see if the kid can cut the mustard at the MLS level of play.

Defense this one is a tough one. probably Roner, Waibel, Agoos and Dunievant. I agree with several posts about Roner. The kid is all hustle which i think is great but he has very little skill. kind of like using a hammer to drive in a screw. he will get the job done but it ain't pretty. Waibel is acceptable in my opinion. sure he isn't very skilled either but he has gotten us this far. Agoos and Dunnie should be solid as usual.

Midfield also a tough one. I would like to see corralles, mulrooney, ekelund and alvarez.

Forwards probably should go to donovan (for a half) and Faria. Donovan should get a half to play and work with Faria. Faria gets the whole game to get his legs under him for the playoffs.

Subs- I think the subs should be Walker for Donovan 45 minute and lagos/russell for corralles. although i am of the opinion that lagos and russell should be ushered out of town immediately after the season. They were good for their time but both players' skills have fallen off.

what do you lot think?

22. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Spencer is practicing this week and is probable for Friday but it sounds like he's more likely to come off the bench.

23. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Waibel + Roner + Conway = DOOM.

Lord help us.

24. shankly

shankly New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    oakland

I second that. If wrong way is between the pipes lord help us.

I am breaking out my rosary and dusting of the good book. anybody have a koran?

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'd cut the head off a chicken and spread the entrails in a pentagram if I thought it would help but I'm afraid that with Wrong Way in goal our fate is sealed. No Onstad, DeRosario, Dayak or Robinson.
    Corrales is playing hurt, so is Agoos. 4-1 Crapids. :(