Colorado Rapids vs. Guatemala (R)

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at all levels, Nationtal Teams struggle against club sides, especially when it is a match with no camp time. I will note that the Rapids started the match with four regular starters and never got much above that.

For me, Guatemala should be doing better -- it has the talent to be closer to Honduras than to Salvador, but it just doesn't seem to be.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    martin, do you blame the poor result in lack of practicing time for the whole squad?

I also saw the MLSers: metros vs fire
    yesterday and I was impress by the fast pace of the game, both played the same. I wonder how they will do it if other team holds the ball away and touch/touch slower?

Yes, MLS sides are better that the Minows of central america (guate and el salvador come to mind)

4. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Based on the attendance figure, Denver should be considered if we have to play Guatemala. Last couple rounds have been at RFK, and though we won both, they were away games for the US.

5. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I have a soft spot in my heart for Guatemala, so I would like to. It is a factor, but I think the real answer is that Guatemala is just not that good. After Ruiz, their next-most-hearalded player is Freddy Garcia, who rides pine for the Crew (though unjustly probably due to the incompetence of the Crew coach).

That, playing away and a lack of depth explain MLS's recent struggle against Mexican teams (along with the Mexicans taking slightly more interest in the tournament). One supporting fact for your theory is that the MLS teams that have won the CONCACAF Cup -- DC and the Galaxy -- both were run by Latin play makers (Etcheverry and Cienfegous) and had more ability to play at different paces.

Looks that way.

6. The Creeper

The Creeper New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Up in MA
    Don't get too cocky. Remember in the Champions' Cup Municipal (a club team in Guatemala) beat San Jose 4-2. Soccer is a strange game.

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    a fluke

It happens every other yr....How far did Municipal went in that tourney?

8. The Creeper

The Creeper New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Up in MA

Municipal was knocked out in the next round against Toluca (the eventual champs).

Municipal 1-2 Toluca
    Toluca 2-1 Municipal

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    never mind to say that toluca used a mix of subs and young guys?

10. The Creeper

The Creeper New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Up in MA
    CSD MUNICIPAL (GUA) – CD TOLUCA FC (MEX) 1:2 (1:1)
    Mario ACEVEDO 41’ – José Santurino CARDOZO 9’; Miguel ALMAZÁN 84’
    Municipal: Dany Ortiz – Claudio Albizuris, Eddy Ortiz, Selvin Ponciano, Denis Chen, Sergio Guevara, Julio Girón, Carlos Figueroa (79: Luis Bonilla), Gonzalo Romero, Mario Acevedo Juan Carlos Plata (69: Carlos Castillo).
    Toluca: César Lozano - Ariel Franco (62: Miguel Almazán), Emilio Viades, Salvador Carmona, Maximiliano Cuberas, Octavio Valdez, Israel López, Rafael García, Antonio Naelson, José Santurino Cardozo, Édgar González (65: Sergio Ponce). Booked: Naelson 13’; López 13’; García 20’; Cuberas 53’; Valdez 88’.
    R: Nery ALFARO (SLV)

16.04.2003: Toluca, Edo. MEXICO; Estadio Nemesio Diaz
    CD TOLUCA FC (MEX) – CSD MUNICIPAL (GUA) 2:1 (2:1)
    Emmanuel RUIZ 25’; Vicente SÁNCHEZ 41’ – Gonzalo ROMERO 10’
    Toluca: Mario Albarrán – Salvador Carmona, José Cruzalta, Maximiliano Cuberas, Emilio Viades, Octavio Valdez, Rafael García, José Núñez (46: Edgar González), Ariel Franco (53: Sergio Ponce), Vicente Sánchez, Emmanuel Ruiz (62: Edgar García). Booked: R. García 50’; Ponce 77’; Valdez 86'
    Municipal: Dany Ortiz – Eddy Ortiz, Denis Chen (62: Omar Pivaral), Claudio Albizuris, Gonzalo Romero, Mario Acevedo, Carlos Figueroa (56: Selvin Motta), Selvin Ponciano, Juan Carlos Plata (83: Luis Bonilla), Julio Girón, Sergio Guevara. Booked: Ponciano 43’; Albizuris 69’

Looks like the first game they took somewhat seriously considering Cardozo played. Otherwise not too much.

11. chapin

chapin New Member

May 10, 2001
    U.S.
    guatemala

The Guatemalan national team has absolutely no chemistry.
    One has to remember that their coach sucks. Their previous coach Julio Caesar led them to a tie against the U.S. and a victory over Costa Rica in the previous qualification round. He took Guatemala from 70 something to the 50 something in the FIFA world rank. Unfortunately, Julio was fired for no apparent reason and some dip took over his job.
    I don't have very high expectations for Guatemala going into 2006, they look pathetic and are an embarresment.

12. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Julio got into some heavy arguments with the top guns of the federation and the club owners, for not lending players on time to national team duty...

I think that he ended up resigning from the post and aborting the nice precess then.

welcome here chapin!

13. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    He really did do a great job with that team tho.