Color Matched?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MOREFFIN, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been refereeing for over thirteen years and with a Fox finger grip for over ten years. Never had a problem with it and a player.

2. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    call me crazy...

but never in his posts does he say that he is "involving the ARs in the decision to tighten up the game", as he's using his whistle as just a signal. which seems to be perfectly fine, no?

he is just offering a technique that has been successful for him. If you, don't like it, fine. but there's no reason to shoot him down, and then speak for "all of us". because i do not agree with you whatsoever.

3. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What he said.

4. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have a very experienced referee here that now has more of a claw than a set of fingers after a ball hit his fingergrip whistle and I've heard of referees losing teeth for similar reasons.

Not judging, because I've used 'em, just found they weren't for me.

5. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    You guys just look mto argue over anything. You take another opinion, one that has more experience, and twist it into an arguement. You are allowed to state your opinion and so am I. This idea is about involving the ARs to tighten up the game. Why else have a signal to them about it? You're so busy trying to find a way to argue that you can't really see what was stated by anyone. And, who said I was speapking for you??? I clearly stated many times that it was my opinion based on my experience.
    I can just imaggine how you are on the field with players.

6. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    ?????? Thinking "outside teh box" as you say is something that I have been on the side of for a long time. And, if you have been on this board and reading what I have wrote you would know that. However, what you say you do is just a silly thing and does not acheive anything. You may say so and convince a few heer that it really does work but it is just plain silly nonsense. With all of the officials in the world you would think that this would have been used before and with the supposed success that you have. I have never come across anyone else doing this. Not hard to wonder why.

7. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the bolded points in your post are what i am talking about.

First, you said "why would you think that just by showing that little sign..." and Soccer7947 is not saying this at all. He's saying he uses the changing of whistles as a way of COMMUNICATION. since you have sooo much experience, i'm sure you will understand how important it is. this was not brought up for any other reason than to give an example to aid a referee crew in communication.

the other bolded fragment is when you speak for me. and us. i would prefer that you make your comments like you said, and leave me out of it. this board is just as much mine as it is Soccer7947, as it is yours. but don't even begin to associate your opinion with mine.

i think what bugs me more than your know-it-all, standoffish atitude is the fact that you have a habit of ending each of your posts with cute little remarks like, for example,
    There is absolutely no reason for this. nowhere in my post do i make this personal. i merely disagree with your opinion on the technique, and the way that you said so.

and no, i am not here to start fights like you accused. i am disagreeing in a civil manner. if i wasn't, im quite certain that i would be kicked off the board.

8. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    WHERE on Earth are you coming up with that particular comment? And what the heck do you mean? I don't have the slightest idea on what basis you seem to have made some judgement of how hefftheref is 'on the field with players.'

Since you opened the can of worms, I really wonder how YOU are on the field with players.

Soccer7947 shared an idea. You don't like his idea. You then claim that because of your experience level, your opinion should carry more weight. Experience level is not relevant to this particular discussion about a specific technique that one referee has tried and apparently none of the rest of us have tried. I don't know if this would work since I haven't tried it. It was an interesting idea. When I read his post, I thought hey that's a new idea, never heard of that one before. I wonder how well that would work. Will I try it out sometime? I don't know. Probably not. It doesn't seem a whole lot different from other ways of telling the ARs that the officiating team should tighten up -- either by verbally indicating this to the ARs as you pointed out, or a fist pulled in toward the body as another way of communicating it, or this colored whistle trick as another way.

Every person here bases his or her comments on his/her own experience. We all have different experiences. Some have more or less experience, or higher-level or lower-level game experience. One person's experience does not make that person's opinion a definitive authority on whether this whistle color thing is a valid communication device. There is a large element of 'your mileage may vary' with this whistle color thing that Soccer7947 suggested. It might work for some people and not for others. Some people may find that it 'works' but not like doing it.

I see this discussion as disagreeing, not arguing. You disagreed with other folks. They disagreed with you. Does it become an argument simply because they didn't come around to your way of thinking after you pointed out your greater experience?

9. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Look, this is not about this one issue. Heffref takes issue with anything I say and does get rude. I stated my opinion and made it clear. I gave reasons why it would not work based on my experience. If anyone is not in total agreement on the board he gets put down. This is a board wide issue and heffref knows what I was talking about whne I made that statement about him. He argues anything and states nothing. It makes it difficult to have any discussion. He makes subtle little insults.
    I made a clear statement and no one has come back to disprove what I stated. Only to say the idea was a good one. Yeah, how? Why?
    You guys read what you want to read and hear what you wnat to hear.

10. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    There was quite a bit of discussion of this idea after you posted your thoughts -- people explaining the idea and talking about how it might work, how it might be useful, etc. Personally, I don't necessarily disagree with what you posted about the idea. But it's not a contest to see if one can disprove Whistleblowerusa's claims. It is a discussion about an idea. It means nothing that you feel your statement was not disproved.

The rest of the stuff you said about Hefftheref, I don't have that impression at all.

11. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a good idea because it is a sustained signal, so the AR can see it over time. He might miss a hand flash, but if I switch permanently from my black whistle to colored whistle, he can pick up on that at any point. Now, I agree it should not be necessary to tell the AR "we are tightening it up" - that can mean way too many things. I think it could be a useful communication tool, if I can think of what I'd like to use it to communicate.

12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I know him! Actually I was AR2 on that one. The players never commented, but I did hear some parent comments about the "pink whistle". hey it worked, he blew air in, noise came out and players stopped playing for a second, what more could you ask ? :D

13. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I think alot of the tighten up signal or if it should be obvious may come down to the experience level of the crew. How many times has a CR said something along the lines of "make fouls calls, but please make them as you think I would". I very often will work out some signal with my ARs for "tighten up" or "loosen up" in a game, particularly if I feel the game might get touchy and particuarly if I have not worked with the ARs before or they are less experienced.

Yes in theory the AR should detect a change in the call pattern of the CR, but if he is less experienced or they've never worked together, or at least enough to detect a pattern of difference, then what's the harm of a visual signal?

Personally the whistle thing to me won't work, my whistles are all black :eek:

However after running as AR this weekend for a CR with a pink whistle, I will say that I really didn't notice the pink whistle all the often, its usually enclosed in his hand. So if it's used as a visual flash of the new color to make sure I see it, then I guess its as good as any other signal.

14. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    You forgot to mention that it matched the top of his head too! :D I know mine is still burnt, in spite of the sunscreen, and his was a WHOLE lot more pink!

15. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Well actually the whole crew used lots of sunscreen up top, any ya, mine's a touch on the red side as well.... :rolleyes: Wasn't, shall we say an abundance of hair for any of us working that game!

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen enough sun to get PINK or RED yet!!!

I've tried the finger grip whistle, but it felt awkward at times. I also appear to have lost it, so I haven't worried about it for sometime.